Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:28 PM

160 posts, read 317,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The greedy states lose their tax revenue.
but how much? for someone bringing across 3 or 4 bottles of scotch, vodka, etc is it worth posting a trooper at the border

how much are we talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post

Funny that they've just now started enforcing it.
I'd say they're grasping for revenue wherever they can due to the "state of the state." If you buy anything out of state, and aren't charged sales tax on it, you are also supposed to pay sales tax in Maine for it.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Big legal day for me today!

I just learned about this law, and I also learned that prostitution is legal in private residences and businesses in Rhode Island!

fascinating stuff.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Haven't heard much about this for 10 or 15 years, but back about the time NH built the liquor stores in Portsmouth and the other one on I-95, Maine bar owners could make the trip to NH and purchase truckloads of liquors to sell in their bars and save many $$$. The legislature in their infinite wisdom, concluded that the only way to make sure they collected their fair share of taxes was to make it illegal to transport any amount of liquor over 4 liters or some such amount, of course unless you purchased it from a State liquor agency store. They used to stake out the liquor store in Portsmouth. The plan wasn't to catch everybody doing the above mentioned, only to put the fear of being caught into anyone that might try to save some $$$ for their business. The same is true when buying booze at the duty free stores in Canada. There is a limit to the amount of booze you can legally transport, and it's only a case or two of beer. Something like 4 gallons of beer. The same would be true if you went to your local corner store, but since you would be paying Maine taxes on that, it's not a problem in the eyes of the law...at least I've never heard of your corner store being staked out for excessive booze purchases that are transported on our Maine highways.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Big legal day for me today!

I just learned about this law, and I also learned that prostitution is legal in private residences and businesses in Rhode Island!

fascinating stuff.
Wow, you had a big day.

So prostitution is legal in RI?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Wow, you had a big day.

So prostitution is legal in RI?
Yes, thanks to a legal loophole.

As long as it takes place in a private residence or small business (I don't know how they define, "small business"). It's illegal to solicit on public domain (i.e. the street corner), but not illegal to have a prostitute over or be serviced at a business as long as prostitution isn't the primary business (which is why, "happy endings" are not illegal in RI).

you learn new things every day.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
I grew up in Ma and had never heard about the prostitution thing until last year...I was shocked!

As far as the liquore enforcement thing I happen to have some inside info

revenue is exactley the reason for this..........along with.........believe it or not........the slow down in the economy has actually meant a slow down in business for the state liquore enforcement. State liquor enforcment is also responsible for licensing business and to say the least....busines has been slow.....and they have time on their hands...this is right from the source!

My problem is this........stop fixing things that are not broken, and stop spending MY tax money on this stuff. I mean really......how much money is going to be spent on gas, saleries, prosecution...ect and for what....

the legal amounts are roughly 1 gallon of liguor, 1 or 2 gallons of wine, and 3 gallons of beer....I hope they harasse and nail some out of staters coming here to vacation and spend money here so that they decide to go eslwhere next year.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
FYI. it appears as though the "Social Republic of Maine" is looking to raise revenues by enforcing the laws regarding the transportation of liquore across state lines.

I Heard they are actually working undercover. IDK the specifics but there is a limit on how much liquor, beer, wine ect you can transport across state lines.

I do not travell to NH to buy stuff but on occasion while travelling through I have stopped to buy stuff knowing that I couldn't find it here.
the best thing to do to hide it is to drink it befor you cross over into maine

Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
the best thing to do to hide it is to drink it befor you cross over into maine

Ranger, you crack me up.

I wonder how much of a budget the department has to work with (for enforcement)?

Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
I'm with you fly, it's just more petty stuff when the focus should be elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine