Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

Today we spent the morning at the Big Chicken Barn right outside of Ellsworth. It's easy to lose track of time there. Before we knew it, 3 hours had passed. Great place! Then we checked out Bucksport. Cute little town! We spent the afternoon checking out downtown Belfast. A lot of shops are open, and the kids had fun buying a few tokens. For dinner we went to the Dockside restaurant. The food was excellent! I especially recommend the Yankee pot roast. Yum! Tomorrow we're off to Bangor. Gotta see Stephen King's house, then we'll probably go to the children's museum, and then we'll go snow tubing at Hermon Mountain. Should tire the kids out big time! (And the adults too! )

I'll check in again when I get a chance. The lobby computer is being used a lot by other guests, so it's not always easy to get a chance to get online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Sounds like you're having a blast! We expect tons of pics once you're back!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Today we spent the morning at the Big Chicken Barn right outside of Ellsworth.
Hummm... what do they have? I don't recall this place, but it's got my mind wondering..

Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 AM

263 posts, read 616,491 times
The Big Chicken Barn is a Book store/country antiques.
bigchickenbarn.com
We love to stop in when we are in the area. Plan to spend hours there because it is full of great stuff.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 AM

263 posts, read 616,491 times
lovemaine

So glad to hear you and your family are enjoying your visit to Maine.
We ate out last night too. And I couldn't help but wonder if you were eating in town as well. We ate at Anglers...fabulous seafood. Dockside is great too.

Have fun today in Bangor. Looking forward to reading your update.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 PM

143 posts, read 252,892 times
Ooooooo, what a fun thread. So glad you're having a good time and thanx for taking the time to keep us updated on your travels. I'm drooling.....can't wait to get back up there, too! Keep on having a blast.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
So glad to read you are there and having a great time in the snow. I spoke with my friend in Orland yesterday -- he got over 2 feet. He sent photos that were absolutely beautiful!
Did you go up the Penobscot Narrows observatory while you were in the Bucksport area? That was a highlight for me.
Looking forward to hearing more about your trip and seeing your photos when you return.
Enjoy and safe travels!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
The computer at the motel wasn't working anymore. Here we are in Freeport for the night. We spent part of Wed. in Bangor. Stopped by Stephen King's house, which was awesome! (We didn't realize that West Broadway and Broadway are different streets. After not being able to find his house, we stopped at Betts Books, which sells mostly SK books and other items. The owner was nice enough to point us in the right direction.) Then we checked out the children's museum. My kids thought it was okay. I think it's geared more to smaller kids. We had fun though! After lunch at the Coffee Break Cafe in Winterport (nice little place), we went snow tubing at Hermon Mountain. We had a blast! Kids were exhausted that night (so were the parents!).

Thursday we drove to Camden and Rockland. We made it to Owls Head lighthouse. It was freezing, so we didn't stay long. Took some nice pics at least. Afterwards we saw a movie at the Flagship Theater in Thomaston.

Yesterday morning we left Belfast for Bar Harbor. We stayed at the Quimby House, which was very nice. For dinner we ate at Geddys. Good food, nice atmosphere. It was very windy last night. In the morning it started to snow again, so we decided to get closer to Portland, since we'll be flying out on Monday. We checked out the LL Bean outlet and store here in Freeport, which were both very busy. Tomorrow we'll spend the day in Portland. I'll post again once we return to NC.

I didn't think it was possible, but we now love Maine even more! We're so glad we decided to come here this time of year. We got to see parts of the state, warts and all. I'm seriously getting sad about having to leave on Monday. If we could, we'd just stay. We're more determined than ever now to make our move a reality. We can't wait!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Sounds like you had some action packed fun times!!! Congrats on the resolve to move!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:06 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Sounds wonderful. I need a family vacation. I wonder... if will do that this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine