Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

Wondering what this area is like: Taxes, good schools, nice housing, nice areas to live...........etc.....thankis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:00 PM

67 posts, read 226,629 times
may I ask..why Topsham?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Having worked in Topsham for a few years, i can say the people i've met were very nice, the area is great-not far from the coast or portland-i believe it's mt ararat high school- heard nothing but good things about the school (this was quite a few years ago)

Topsham is not far from brunswick, bath, freeport, reid state park, popham beach, thomas point beach, bowdoin, and richmond- also its only a little over a half hr to augusta

I would say it's a great place to raise a family!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:51 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
I am sure that house prices will be very cheap there for the foreseeable furture, with the closing of BNAS. The economy may be hurting, though.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
I like topsham. I think it is a little loosley populated as there is not really a town center with a village type atmosphere but there are some decent nighborhoods to choose from.

What about Brunswick? It has a nice feel to it and I think the schools are good. I agree that It's hard to tell what the future is going to be there because of the economy, Maine's poor business atmosphere, and the closing of bnas?? but I doubt that the area would completly crash.. I am sure it will stay a decent place to raise a family.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Although not apparent from US1 or Rt 196 coming from I95 Topsham has a very nice village center. Just past the big box stores ya take a right on Main St. The big event of the year is the Topsham Fair. Definately check about the effect of the recent closing of the BAS.

As mentioned many diferent types of places to live in the Topsham/Brunswick area.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 06-21-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Although not apparent from US1 or Rt 196 coming from I95 Topsham has a very nice village center. Just past the big box stores ya take a right on Main St. The big event of the year is the Topsham Fair. Definately check about the effect of the recent closing of the BAS.

As mentioned many diferent types of places to live in the Topsham/Brunswick area.
I guess it's all subjctive..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
I wasn't going to participate in this thread as it's over a year old however at this point seeing it's become a topic of great discussion, I'll jump in.

I was raised in Topsham and have owned a couple homes there in my lifetime. There are certainly many desirable neighborhoods, most within a few miles of what is NOW known as the village center, which consists of upper and lower Main St, down to the bridge across to Brunswick.

Topsham also has many rural area's that are densely populated with gorgeous renovated farms and farmland. The Cathance River area is pretty little river that has many places to enjoy, The Muddy River runs into it, all a part of Merrymeeting Bay that eventually leads into the Kennebec River.

While most people love to think that we are suffering down here in the Brunswick/ Topsham area due to the base closure, I can assure you that is far from the truth. We've had numerous new business's open up just within the last few months that are doing fine. There is only one empty store front in the entire town which is about to be reopened this month.

Real Estate prices have not been compromised as much as some of you would like to think. Obviously you aren't aware that we are also home to Bowdoin College and very close to Bath Iron Works, not to mention 15 minutes from Freeport and a mere 30 minutes from Portland. The area is now considered a bedroom community of Portland as the commute is a simple and easy one.

The only sadness among the area is the eventual demise of the Topsham Fair. It has lost money for the last 10 years or more. It used to be known as one of the Harvest Fairs when it was held back in October. Many years ago they moved the fair up to August, ever since then the fair crowd has dwindled. Harness racing now begins at 2pm each day because Scarborough races at night and the Harness Racing Assoc doesn't allow for there to be two tracks racing at the same time. Night racing used to bring a lot of fair goers into town when it was held in October. Now, most people work during the day and aren't able to come play the horses, the pay outs are now a mere pitance of what they used to be.

There, I think we've covered Topsham and the OP hasn't been here in well over a year.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
I wasn't going to participate in this thread as it's over a year old however at this point seeing it's become a topic of great discussion, I'll jump in.

I was raised in Topsham and have owned a couple homes there in my lifetime. There are certainly many desirable neighborhoods, most within a few miles of what is NOW known as the village center, which consists of upper and lower Main St, down to the bridge across to Brunswick.

Topsham also has many rural area's that are densely populated with gorgeous renovated farms and farmland. The Cathance River area is pretty little river that has many places to enjoy, The Muddy River runs into it, all a part of Merrymeeting Bay that eventually leads into the Kennebec River.

While most people love to think that we are suffering down here in the Brunswick/ Topsham area due to the base closure, I can assure you that is far from the truth. We've had numerous new business's open up just within the last few months that are doing fine. There is only one empty store front in the entire town which is about to be reopened this month.

Real Estate prices have not been compromised as much as some of you would like to think. Obviously you aren't aware that we are also home to Bowdoin College and very close to Bath Iron Works, not to mention 15 minutes from Freeport and a mere 30 minutes from Portland. The area is now considered a bedroom community of Portland as the commute is a simple and easy one.

The only sadness among the area is the eventual demise of the Topsham Fair. It has lost money for the last 10 years or more. It used to be known as one of the Harvest Fairs when it was held back in October. Many years ago they moved the fair up to August, ever since then the fair crowd has dwindled. Harness racing now begins at 2pm each day because Scarborough races at night and the Harness Racing Assoc doesn't allow for there to be two tracks racing at the same time. Night racing used to bring a lot of fair goers into town when it was held in October. Now, most people work during the day and aren't able to come play the horses, the pay outs are now a mere pitance of what they used to be.

There, I think we've covered Topsham and the OP hasn't been here in well over a year.
Never agreed more with a post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine