Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times

Advertisements

You can substitute in maine with a 2yr degree or 60 semester hours....and I think some schools have been so desperate to allow only a little college. Once accepted you get called the night before (usually) and you can either work it or not...they work off a list of substitutes. IDK...maybe they are not as seperate as before but you can even tell them when you can work....the money is not so great but everything helps.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
In Maine substitutes are paid according to their training. The levels are.

High school grad
Some college
College grad
Teaching certificate

Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM

189 posts, read 301,422 times
I'm afraid Nor'Eastah is offering the best advice you could get right now. I know you won't like it, but you may find that if you put off making this decision much longer, you may not have enough resources left to go anyplace else. I'm assuming (as others have not) that you've already applied at places like Wal-Mart. I'm very well aware from my own experience that, just because they're "hiring", that doesn't mean everyone who applies will get a job. I was never without a job before I came to Maine and never thought I COULD be - I have excellent skills and credentials, and I'm not afraid of any kind of work. At our lowest point in Maine, I applied at least a dozen times to Wal-Mart, McDonald's, everyplace and anyplace. McDonald's had a "help wanted" sign posted for months but, in spite of my applying numerous times, I was never invited for an interview. I was proactive and called the manager, confidently telling him about my family's history in the restaurant business, my willingness and ability to work hard, and the fact that I lived two blocks away and would work any shift; no deal. I know exactly how bad things can get.

I urge you, in these dangerous times, to get out of Maine and head for someplace more prosperous where you have a better chance. You will not lose your credits and can return to school at any time that your situation will allow it. Please please don't wait until you're at the door of the homeless shelter. I don't mean to alarm you further, but I know that you're already afraid and with good reason. Call on relatives for any help they can give you, and get out of Maine. Bless you, and please keep posting so we know how you're doing.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
You've got some good advice here.... I can't really add much more except to say good luck with everything and I wish you peace with whatever decision you ultimately make. I'm sure it's not easy... hang in there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM

143 posts, read 252,826 times
So sorry to hear of your job situation. In these challenging times, we all have to watch out for one another. Forest, your reaching out is a perfect example of how we can support one another. The economy will eventually turn around and we have to remain focused on that. In the meantime, being there for one another with tangibles and intangibles, will make a difference....as it always does. God bless this country and the world during the transition to becoming more whole and more just. Ole!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
Don't overlook taxi or bus driving. These places are almost always looking for drivers. I know Bangor isn't much of a taxi town, but there are both Trailways and Greyhound bus depots there. Check them out.

I also agree with Nor'Eastah. You are wasting your time in school right now. You both need jobs and you need them now.

I disagree with going to another location. If you have a place to live, hang onto it. Now is not a good time to be moving and I disbelieve that other places are any better off right now. In fact, many people think that the areas of Las Vegas or Central Florida are good choices. They are not. Repeat, they are NOT. Stay where you are and both of you need to be looking for work.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

146 posts, read 453,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Both of you - forget about school for now. Yes, I know others above have posted that you should stick with it. But at what cost??? This is no time to be in college or grad school! And at your ages (I assume you are young), Bangor is no place to be in this economy. Arguments, anybody?

I can't DISAGREE more. What worked in your generation Nor'Eastah just doesn't go now. I assume you are in a TA ship for your PhD, and thus don't have to pay tuition and are getting paid a stipend, correct? Then you have a job. If you quit your "job" you are not going to have any better luck getting a job than your DH. The job market isn't much better anywhere else in the country.

Has he put in everywhere? Is there a store he frequents that people know him? That worked for my DH when he was between jobs - they knew him at the car parts store, and he just went and talked to the manager and he got the job. What about bank tellers? Job searching is so tough because there isn't just one place to go look. You have to look online, and in the actual stores (he should be filling out 4-6 applications a day!). Good luck - I know it's tough! Hang in there, and stay in school! It will pay off!

Talk to your advisor, maybe he/she can help or have some ideas.

saw this on Craigslist

http://maine.craigslist.org/gov/1046927508.html (broken link)

Last edited by frogcreekwoods; 02-24-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchamac View Post
saw this on Craigslist

JOBS WITH THE U.S. CENSUS BUREAU (http://maine.craigslist.org/gov/1046927508.html - broken link)
A friend had this job in my area. She needed four wheel drive, an ATV or snowmobile depending on the season, and a boat to properly cover the area. The manager in Boston didn't care how far out or remote a building was (she didn't understand), if someone might live there it needed to be counted.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,946 times
There is a Maine Career Center in Bangor. Has your husband been in touch with them? One call is not what I'm talking about, stop in there, get to know the folks working there, check daily. When they get employers that contact them looking to fill positions, they will think of the guy who stops in daily to see if anything has come up. I bet a daily trip to the Career Center will pay off in some way. Good luck, and I vote for keeping on the Education track even if it is difficult, like someone said earlier, it's pretty much required in this day and age, not just a luxury...and once you have it no one will take it away from you.

I did a search on the Career Center homepage and came up with 102 job opportunities within 40 miles of Bangor. I did notice that the Sewall Mapping Co in Old Town had quite a few openings, looks like they are looking for specific skill sets, but I bet it would be worth having your husband head over there and ask if they need anyone to mop the floors. Of course letting them know one is willing to do any tasks they have to offer would probably lead them to consider your husband for something he might not be totally qualified for, but plenty capable of doing.

And like I said earlier, the folks at the Career Center will help one get his/her foot in the door with these employers.

Last edited by kellysmith; 02-24-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchamac View Post
I can't DISAGREE more. What worked in your generation Nor'Eastah just doesn't go now. I assume you are in a TA ship for your PhD, and thus don't have to pay tuition and are getting paid a stipend, correct? Then you have a job. If you quit your "job" you are not going to have any better luck getting a job than your DH. The job market isn't much better anywhere else in the country.
Agreed. You should definitely stay in school. The days of "on the job training" are pretty much over, and if you want to find employment that pays a living wage you'll need a degree without question. I think that's anywhere - not exclusive to Maine now.

Your husband should take whatever he can get for now with the eye toward the light at the end of the tunnel IMO. It's too easy for life to trip you up and keep you from going back to school later on if you quit now. It's also a lot more difficult to go back once you've been out for a while.

Microdyne in Orono (call center) may be hiring. EMMC is a good place to apply for sure, but there are an awful lot of people applying there as well - if he's willing to try for any department he would qualify for, at least it would be a foot in the door as they tend to hire from within first.

Here's a link to EMMC: https://www.healthcaresource.com/eas...&facility=emmc

The career center is a great idea as well.

You don't need a degree to substitute in Maine; however, your pay rate will be dependent on your number of hours in college, or degree that you have. They pay on a per day basis. The applicant is also responsible for the fingerprinting fee of $75.00 (last I knew - it may have gone up).

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine