Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine: rent an apt, moving trucks, doctor, chiropractor, relocating.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
some of us really like the freedoms we have here in Maine.

The clear skies, the wildlife, so much of this have left the rest of the US of A.

You have it right there, Forest!

Heck I live in RI, not so very far away from Maine. We get tons of snow here, too, and I've had to plow it, shovel it, swear at it. Same for the bitter cold, which we often get. And the economy here sucks, it's really a challenge for anyone to make money here if not politically well-connected. Which is why I went off to work on my own.

If RI had the freedom, the clear skies, the wildlife, and all the rest that Maine offers, I might consider staying here in retirement. But RI has none of these things. I think we'll be prepared for whatever Maine throws our way. We're comin' up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Heck I live in RI, not so very far away from Maine. We get tons of snow here, too, and I've had to plow it, shovel it, swear at it. Same for the bitter cold, which we often get. And the economy here sucks, it's really a challenge for anyone to make money here if not politically well-connected. Which is why I went off to work on my own.

If RI had the freedom, the clear skies, the wildlife, and all the rest that Maine offers, I might consider staying here in retirement. But RI has none of these things. I think we'll be prepared for whatever Maine throws our way. We're comin' up!
I can keep a drink set aside just for you, if you get up here soon.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I can keep a drink set aside just for you, if you get up here soon.

Not that soon, forest! It'll get stale! But, I can have a little something down here at the same time!

Lift your glass, drink to Maine!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,569 times
There isn't a place in America that would not have issues. However my move from Reno, Nevada to small town North Dakota was by far the biggest mistake of my life. The poor immigrants that came over from beautiful Norway to this harsh enviroment and could not afford to return. However having been an army brat, change is kind of in my blood. Winter is not winter till you have had the great wind of the North blow across these flat plains. Simply the act of pumping gas, is difficult. Looking in your trunk can be hazerdous when it fall on your head from the wind.
Last night on my 38 mile drive home from work, my alternator went out on a dark and lonely road. No lights and no power. I then I was able to use my jump start, then again it went out on a railroad track. Someone pushed my off the tracks. I then went to a nearby bar to call for a ride, my cell was dead and often times out here I don't get service anyway. I often feel kind of like a pioneer out here. My husband passed away and never meant to leave me here. Fortunately after watching Designed to Sell shows, I got rid of the house from hell.
This obviousley is not a discussion of Maine, but I don't think moving back to civilization will scare me.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
I've survived a few of the those midwest winters myself, brune. But after twelve years of living in a place where everything stings, stabs, sticks, bites or cuts, where the summers last for nine months, and the ground is so rough you have to walk around in hard leather boots to protect your feet, I'll take wind and water and snow any day! And that doesn't include that the nearest hospital, doctor, pharmacy, chiropractor and decent grocery store are all a two hour drive away. And it's another hour from there to the nearest Wal Mart. If you break down out here, somebody will come along and ask if you need help. It's so isolated out here, we never leave anybody stranded beside the road.
I DRANK TO MAINE LAST NIGHT, AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MOVING TRUCKS TO GET HER AND MOVE ME AND ALL MY JUNK TO MAINE!
I love the people here, but they can keep the rest of it!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 AM

300 posts, read 758,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I've survived a few of the those midwest winters myself, brune. But after twelve years of living in a place where everything stings, stabs, sticks, bites or cuts, where the summers last for nine months, and the ground is so rough you have to walk around in hard leather boots to protect your feet, I'll take wind and water and snow any day! And that doesn't include that the nearest hospital, doctor, pharmacy, chiropractor and decent grocery store are all a two hour drive away. And it's another hour from there to the nearest Wal Mart. If you break down out here, somebody will come along and ask if you need help. It's so isolated out here, we never leave anybody stranded beside the road.
I DRANK TO MAINE LAST NIGHT, AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MOVING TRUCKS TO GET HER AND MOVE ME AND ALL MY JUNK TO MAINE!
LOL, sounds like my town! 29 days and I'll be in Maine--and I can't wait for the snow

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
Default Stings, bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Casper, I found a scorpion in my bed when I lived in Central Texas. I like not having to worry about that here in Maine. Apparently, there are no poisonous snakes here, either.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Default Perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by brune View Post
There isn't a place in America that would not have issues. However my move from Reno, Nevada to small town North Dakota was by far the biggest mistake of my life. The poor immigrants that came over from beautiful Norway to this harsh enviroment and could not afford to return. However having been an army brat, change is kind of in my blood. Winter is not winter till you have had the great wind of the North blow across these flat plains. Simply the act of pumping gas, is difficult. Looking in your trunk can be hazerdous when it fall on your head from the wind.
Last night on my 38 mile drive home from work, my alternator went out on a dark and lonely road. No lights and no power. I then I was able to use my jump start, then again it went out on a railroad track. Someone pushed my off the tracks. I then went to a nearby bar to call for a ride, my cell was dead and often times out here I don't get service anyway. I often feel kind of like a pioneer out here. My husband passed away and never meant to leave me here. Fortunately after watching Designed to Sell shows, I got rid of the house from hell.
This obviousley is not a discussion of Maine, but I don't think moving back to civilization will scare me.

Sounds like it is way past time for you to get a "cell" phone.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 AM

12 posts, read 32,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I grew up in Rhode Island, left when I went away to college. That was 5 years ago, and I now live in Maine. I can't stand going back to Rhode Island at all. I hate the stoplights, I hate the people that speed around, the congested highway, the potholes, the dirty air--it might be in my head but Maine just seems so much more fresh! I feel safer here.. I don't know. It's only 200 miles apart, but it's a different life!

I do miss Weinie Genie & Del's Lemonade though!

We get more snow here than I ever remember getting in RI too, but it's not bad. They keep the roads pretty well maintained, though plowing in Portland can be a little lackluster.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nie0214 View Post
I grew up in Rhode Island, left when I went away to college. That was 5 years ago, and I now live in Maine. I can't stand going back to Rhode Island at all. I hate the stoplights, I hate the people that speed around, the congested highway, the potholes, the dirty air--it might be in my head but Maine just seems so much more fresh! I feel safer here.. I don't know. It's only 200 miles apart, but it's a different life!

I do miss Weinie Genie & Del's Lemonade though!

We get more snow here than I ever remember getting in RI too, but it's not bad. They keep the roads pretty well maintained, though plowing in Portland can be a little lackluster.
I visit RI frequently as I lived there for a while (George St. in Providence) and have many friends in the area. I LOVE Rhode Island, but it certainly is a different life up here only a few hundred miles away. It's a lot quieter up in these parts.

Different strokes I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine