U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 3,189,269 times
Default Laminate Flooring: What's the best for concrete floors?

I'm trying to find some advice on replacing a rug with laminate flooring. I'm looking at laminate that already has backing on it to avoid the placement of a subfloor (it's a pretty big area) but I wonder if anyone has had experience with this type of flooring on concrete? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM

2,381 posts, read 2,745,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I'm trying to find some advice on replacing a rug with laminate flooring. I'm looking at laminate that already has backing on it to avoid the placement of a subfloor (it's a pretty big area) but I wonder if anyone has had experience with this type of flooring on concrete? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

I wouldn't recomend just placing the flooring directly on the concrete. There should be some spacing for any moisture that may occur. Is this in a basement or on a slab in a house? May make a difference. Hot And Cold guys always recomend an air/water space for flooring in basements. Makes sense.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM

10,103 posts, read 9,695,495 times
iput a laminate floor in my kitchen a few years ago, got it at mardens,,,,im still amazed how resilient it is, and still looks great,,,had a thin roll of padding to place underneath, then they clicked together, had to cut around the edges,,
i never did this before,,,and was very pleased how it came out,,,
keep in mind,,you dont have to line up the edges/seams, they are suppose to be staggered, (less seams)

my floor is not totally flat,,,and its held up great

id higly recommend these floors

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

493 posts, read 1,045,437 times
When i finished my basement, I put square underlayment tiles on the concrete floor, then laminate on that. The tiles I got were from homedepot. There are 2' x 2' tongue and groove. I believe they are 1/2 waferboard or particle board, with a plastic underlayment piece. The plastic piece is . . . egg carton shape. It holds the wood off the concrete. Very easy to install and adds some space between the cold concrete and the flooring. LOVE IT.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM

33 posts, read 63,038 times
Many manufacturers recommend a sheet of heavy plastic next to the concrete as a moisture barrier. Some won't honor the warranty without it.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I wouldn't recomend just placing the flooring directly on the concrete. There should be some spacing for any moisture that may occur. Is this in a basement or on a slab in a house? May make a difference. Hot And Cold guys always recomend an air/water space for flooring in basements. Makes sense.
It's a raised ranch - no basement - the rooms are heated and dry all year (think ranch that is supposed to have a garage underneath, but that space was finished into a family room). I was looking at some laminate that I found which has the plastic already on the back.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
When i finished my basement, I put square underlayment tiles on the concrete floor, then laminate on that. The tiles I got were from homedepot. There are 2' x 2' tongue and groove. I believe they are 1/2 waferboard or particle board, with a plastic underlayment piece. The plastic piece is . . . egg carton shape. It holds the wood off the concrete. Very easy to install and adds some space between the cold concrete and the flooring. LOVE IT.
Thanks - good info, I'll have to check them out. I went back and forth about recarpeting due to the cold factor of winter, but I can say that I'm completely fed up with carpeting for the main living areas of my house.
Dirt driveways, kids, dogs, and combat boots don't make for a very easy clean!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
iput a laminate floor in my kitchen a few years ago, got it at mardens,,,,im still amazed how resilient it is, and still looks great,,,had a thin roll of padding to place underneath, then they clicked together, had to cut around the edges,,
i never did this before,,,and was very pleased how it came out,,,
keep in mind,,you dont have to line up the edges/seams, they are suppose to be staggered, (less seams)

my floor is not totally flat,,,and its held up great

id higly recommend these floors
Thanks - I'll be a "do it yourselfer" and plan to do a practice run with laminate on a bedroom floor first. We had the living room rug replaced with laminate (installed - not up to it myself that year) and I absolutely love it. It totally jives with my "decorate in the color of dirt" theme...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,292,744 times
DuPont and a couple other flooring manufactures make laminate click lock flooring with the pad attached to it. Other wise you just roll out the underlayment before you put down the flooring. It's easy either way. If you're installing in a basement then a minimum of a 6 mil plastic sheet barrier is needed.
This type of flooring is relatively easy to install and a perfect DIY project. All most every brand has detailed installation requirements and instructions.
Good luck with your project. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 PM

440 posts, read 999,370 times
Default Pergo Flooring

We had Pergo flooring put thru out the house in Georgia. ...They put it on the concrete and it is just wonderful.. beautiful flooring.. Pergo is really beautiful flooring and they stand by their product!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine