Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,493,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I wonder if I could live in Washington County. I (obviously) don't mind living outside of the "Massachusetts North" half of the state (I live in the County). And I've been to some neat places in W.C. It's cheap and I think I could find work. But I wonder about some of the other stuff. The rich folks from away are slooooowly taking over any town on the coast, even downeast. Totally changing them. I don't like that, I like the real Maine culture that has been around since forever.
Also, some of these places in the winter............I have driven through I think winters must get awfully long. The snow isn't all that dependable, which would suck for me (skiing and snowmobiling). Some of these really small towns (like Lubec, Eastport, Machias) seem to have lots of activity going on in June, July and August, but from late fall to early spring, I don't think I would like how totally dead it gets.
I know that in Eastport one of the bars has musicians, poetry readings, etc. throughout the year.. there is also a full theatre season there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,049,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I know that in Eastport one of the bars has musicians, poetry readings, etc. throughout the year.. there is also a full theatre season there.
SSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! You aren't supposed to tell, we've got that "poor" "suicidally depressed" reputation that's so vital to uphold you know!

She's wrong. We do nothing here! Nothing I tell you---everything closes up tighter than a drum--no community theater, colleges, sports, bars, winter hiking, skiing, skating... nothing! We go to work---oh wait, that's right! we DON"T have jobs here---um, yes....

we sit around doing puzzles all winter long and just sit and hope and pray for a decent tourist season to SAVE us. Yes, that's Washington County!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,373,531 times
Funny! That was one thing I was very surprised by when we got here (Calais) in March and it was still in the teens with snow on the ground. We couldn't believe the number of people out doing things every day and evening. Yes, it's slower than in the summer, but not a great amount, from what we saw.

My mother kept asking what we'd do all winter being "stuck inside" and I was able to tell her that people seem to stay very active in winter. Here, we have snow and ice sports, people still walk, bundled up and with little boots on their dogs! Yes, I've seen my first set of doggie snow boots! That was a hoot. My kids were outside enjoying life from the first hour we arrived. Auntie M had to teach us how to put on snow clothes, :-) but after that, I couldn't keep them inside! It was great to see!

People here also visit with each other. Yes, they actually talk back and forth! It was amazing to me to see the number of people huddled together chatting everywhere we went, and it didn't take me long to get in on the action! ;-) The minute I'd open my Texan mouth, they knew I "wasn't from around here," and the conversation would begin! They do that visiting thing at all the stores, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. I was happy to see that only a couple of shops/restaurants were closed up for winter. Now, I'm sure that varies depending on your town and the year-round population, so you have to consider that as well.

Maine really is a 4 season place. You just have to get yourself out there and choose to take advantage of it!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 PM

941 posts, read 3,896,431 times
I checked some REs with the names mentioned - doesn't look bad. Might have a good look soon.

Are there any bargains in rural/farm towns? I like to be around grass, not houses/roads/driveways.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,862,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I checked some REs with the names mentioned - doesn't look bad. Might have a good look soon.

Are there any bargains in rural/farm towns? I like to be around grass, not houses/roads/driveways.
If you want true FARM towns, you want the County. There is NO PLACE in Maine that has the farming backbone, economy, and culture. Others have some............here it is EVERYWHERE.. BIG sky country too.
There are lots of just plain old fields now too. I love that.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 PM

941 posts, read 3,896,431 times
Quote:
If you want true FARM towns, you want the County. There is NO PLACE in Maine that has the farming backbone, economy, and culture. Others have some............here it is EVERYWHERE.. BIG sky country too.
That's good and all...so what are some names of the towns up in the country?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM

6,619 posts, read 13,468,249 times
Quote:
You're contradicting yourself. There is NO PLACE or others have some? It can't be both. I think you need to travel the state and spend some time getting to know what goes on here.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,853,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Mill towns unless your from there your not gonna really like it of all the places I have lived in Maine I like Saco the best the people are more upper class but the houses are afordable I also like Kennebunk its more upper class and your not going to have to deal with the scum like Biddeford wich is an old mill town personally im moveing to Florida in a couple months Maines WAY over rated.
Pssst.....Kennebunk was a mill town too! The "Lafayette Center" was the old Kesslen Shoe Factory!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,519,853 times
I think Belfast is neat. It has improved 100% in the past 15 to 20 years. I remember when they had the chicken processing plants there on the bay - it just was not a desirable place in those days. Now they have a great waterfront and an old fashioned downtown. It's seems to be a very friendly place.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,519,853 times
Filmsniffer - Check out "Union" Maine. It is very rural and pretty. There are a couple up and coming Vineyards there too. We ventured down for "Open Farm Days" in July, got lost on the way, way out there in the country but had a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine