Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times

Advertisements

With our relocation not too far off, I need to start figuring out where we'd like to settle. DH's new employer suggested the following towns: Thomaston, Nobleboro, Camden, Rockport, Rockland, Hope, Appleton, Jefferson, Union, and Washington. If anyone is familiar with any of these towns, could I please get some insight, good and bad. Any other towns anyone could recommend in this general vicinity would be great too! Schools are very important, and also affordability. (We're renting the first year.)

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Maine has the highest rate of home ownership in the nation. The flip side of this is that we have the lowest rate of rental homes. Apartments are scarce in Maine. Most rural towns like Appleton have few or no rentals. Those rentals available are usually intended for very low income people. On occasion you can get lucky and find a home for sale where the owner will be willing to rent out the home, but you must understand that you need to agree to be out in less than 30 days if it sells.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
My only suggestion would be to contact a realtor in the area who also handles rentals and see if he or she can hook you up with something. You may get lucky since you plan to live in Maine for a full year before you purchase your next home, and people are usually happier with long-term tenants than someone who just wants to rent for a few months.

As for those towns. Camden is going to be VERY expensive, and a nightmare in the summer due to tourist traffic. I would probably avoid Camden more than any of the other towns on your list.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM

DH's employer is putting us in touch with a realtor who also deals with rentals. Hopefully we'll have some luck that way...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Good luck, I hope you find a nice place.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Good luck, I hope you find a nice place.
Thanks, msina! Me too! I've found some nice looking places on Craiglist too. Either way, either DH or I will fly up to check out any rentals we might consider. We're so thrilled to be moving to Maine, we'd be happy to live in someone's garden shed...

Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
There are all sorts of rentals in Rockland and some in Thomaston, for all kinds of income levels. (Not to contradict you NMLM, but I'm VERY familiar with that area.) Camden homes/rentals are apt to be most expensive, and rentals are often seasonal. Check out the ads at villagesoup.com, which also owns the local weekly newspapers. Also contact the local banks -- Camden National, for example, and Bangor Savings -- to see if they have any foreclosed homes they need to rent or sell quickly. It's an awful thing to say, but it's also the new reality.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
There are all sorts of rentals in Rockland and some in Thomaston, for all kinds of income levels. (Not to contradict you NMLM, but I'm VERY familiar with that area.) Camden homes/rentals are apt to be most expensive, and rentals are often seasonal. Check out the ads at villagesoup.com, which also owns the local weekly newspapers. Also contact the local banks -- Camden National, for example, and Bangor Savings -- to see if they have any foreclosed homes they need to rent or sell quickly. It's an awful thing to say, but it's also the new reality.
Great info! Thanks, Coaster! I'll check it out...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Perhaps Uncle Henry's might provide some help in addition to the others already mentioned.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM

64 posts, read 119,459 times
Out of the towns mentioned, I like Appleton (very pretty and the school has a good reputation I hear) and Union ( the center of town with the commons is very neat). Camden and Rockport are pricey and Rockland stinks. Literally. Some days you just might lobe breakfast, it's so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine