Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,198 times

Advertisements

Here is my question. If we were to move to Northern Maine, maybe somewhere near Houlton, Maine, is it possible to hope that a middle aged retiree whose primary language is Chinese and who does not speak that much English could still find happiness in the pleasure of Maine's wonderfully welcoming community, if such a person were willing to put extra time into learning English and was a fun engaging person? Are there community activities in place that might help this retiree better assimilate and acclimate to the new surroundings?

The Asian ratio of Maine's Northern population seems quite small in the farming areas, naturally. Maybe this might lead to an initial reticence to get out and meet people, or even lead to a feeling of being cloistered.

We are not from China but my wife has not had much opportunity to use English in her business overseas which she is just about to close down due to reaching retirement age. Of course she loves cooking, but also gardening, crafts, walking, even woodworking.

Any thoughts or suggestions which can help shed light will be extremely welcome and much appreciated.

ALSO, I would really like to comment that this Maine forum is just about one of the NICEST and the best that I have ever seen on the internet during the past 10 years! It is an inspiration to all on the internet which demonstrates what the internet in its best form can be, I believe. The comments I have seen are friendly, informative and helpful. A WONDERFUL forum. TKS! so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 15,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupel View Post
Here is my question. If we were to move to Northern Maine, maybe somewhere near Houlton, Maine, is it possible to hope that a middle aged retiree whose primary language is Chinese and who does not speak that much English could still find happiness in the pleasure of Maine's wonderfully welcoming community, if such a person were willing to put extra time into learning English and was a fun engaging person? Are there community activities in place that might help this retiree better assimilate and acclimate to the new surroundings?

The Asian ratio of Maine's Northern population seems quite small in the farming areas, naturally. Maybe this might lead to an initial reticence to get out and meet people, or even lead to a feeling of being cloistered.

We are not from China but my wife has not had much opportunity to use English in her business overseas which she is just about to close down due to reaching retirement age. Of course she loves cooking, but also gardening, crafts, walking, even woodworking.

Any thoughts or suggestions which can help shed light will be extremely welcome and much appreciated.

ALSO, I would really like to comment that this Maine forum is just about one of the NICEST and the best that I have ever seen on the internet during the past 10 years! It is an inspiration to all on the internet which demonstrates what the internet in its best form can be, I believe. The comments I have seen are friendly, informative and helpful. A WONDERFUL forum. TKS! so much.
The problem that might occur is the fact that she might just be too nice for Northern Maine..JK

She'll fit right in if she loves gardening, crafts etc as you've suggested. They will be her beginning language.

Come on down............ or up as the case may be.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,858,136 times
Default Chinese Speaking Taiwan & Spouse being Happy in Northern Maine

Yes, you will love Northern Maine and I am sure that Northern Maine will love you too. Mainers are some of the most welcoming people I have ever met. I moved to Maine when I was 22 years old with my son and my husband. My husband was from Maine but I had been raised my entire life in the city. We moved to a small town called Smyrna which is 17 miles away from Houlton where you plan to move. I did all my shopping in Houlton with no issues and I understand it has grown a lot since I was last there. I haven't been back to that part of Maine for many many years but do stay in touch with friends.

You will be fine moving up there and will love the area. Just be ready for lots of snow!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,610,145 times
The largest number of Chinese is in Orono at the university. However, Lee Academy has about 40 Chinese high school students. That number is growing and this year there is a Lee Academy in China with about 600 students studying in high school with the anticipation they will go to college in the US. There is a Chinese language school for Americans in Bangor.

Make sure your documents are all in order and keep them with you. There are very few minorities in our Maine population and anything different can attract the attention of the Border Patrol or immigration. It would be good to establish some good contacts with your neighbors and keep their phone numbers with you. I don't write this to worry you. If you do these things your contact with the Border Patrol will go much more smoothly and take less time.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:45 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,350,627 times
There is a young woman up the street from me who is from China, she speaks little to no English. I only have a "nodding acquaintance" with her but, she is always smiling and waving.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:11 AM

6,622 posts, read 13,491,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRoad View Post
The problem that might occur is the fact that she might just be too nice for Northern Maine..JK
Too nice?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,501,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Too nice?
I don't get this either...

Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Graupel, I may have met your wife and daughter today. Very nice people. If you are a math teacher I met them. If not, it is an amazing coincidence.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,148,984 times
If you haven't already, come to visit both in summer and winter. You can get a better sense for how you will feel about living here

Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Come this week and you might get to see both in the same week.

;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine