Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:28 AM

263 posts, read 616,426 times

Advertisements

You should check with the towns building codes.
Every town is different. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfleetblondie View Post
Yes I spend most of my time in Wellfleet MA since I have a small summer business there. My cottage is in Casco Maine. I live the rest of the year in Costa Rica so I am lucky to spend 3 weeks total over these months here in Maine. And right now, it is so miserable when I am here that I want to leave. The abuse of this neighbor is beyond comprehension. i have not spoken a single word to him to try & avoid inflaming him but he is anyway- I think just my presence inflames him.
How far is your cottage from his cottage? Do you have electrical power? How big is your lot? Why do you have to have contact with him? You have a 10 foot high fence, how does he get to you?

The problem with dealing with nuts is that rational methods usually don't work. You have correctly avoided verbal confrontation with him. If he is trespassing and/or damaging your property, you can post your property and try video surveillance which provides evidence you could provide to law enforcement. If he is really threatening you, you can get a protection order against him.

Sorry you have to go through this, but Maine's isolation tends to attract people that don't get along with other people.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I had a similar problem with a neighbor years ago; when I moved to NH....he would follow me when I walked the dog and verbally harass me, come across the street to my garden area and engage in property destruction (mowing and pulliing out what I planted) and he and his wife would curse and threaten my children if they walked past their house. It was difficult as they were well liked locals and we were new people in town and "the god d-mned hippies".....eventually the degree of their personal mental health problems became apparent....one night she demolished his riding lawn mower in their driveway with a sledge hammer and later that year.....committed suicide by shooting himself in a public area of down town.

In another home I rented....I inherited a fence problem similar to yours....the neighbor had put up a stockade fence about 6 inches back from the property line....he would walk that 6 inches almost daily muttering and breaking any branches on the lilacs and forcythia that my land lord had planted that touched his fence or 6 inches of air....he eventually sold his home and the next neighbor was wonderful.

I think some of these types of issues are symptomatic of mental illness....and I would be cautious....and avoid any interaction and never give in to any temptation to bait him or confront him....he may well be armed and could be dangerous.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had a similar problem with a neighbor years ago; when I moved to NH....he would follow me when I walked the dog and verbally harass me, come across the street to my garden area and engage in property destruction (mowing and pulliing out what I planted) and he and his wife would curse and threaten my children if they walked past their house. It was difficult as they were well liked locals and we were new people in town and "the god d-mned hippies".....eventually the degree of their personal mental health problems became apparent....one night she demolished his riding lawn mower in their driveway with a sledge hammer and later that year.....committed suicide by shooting himself in a public area of down town.

I think some of these types of issues are symptomatic of mental illness....and I would be cautious....and avoid any interaction and never give in to any temptation to bait him or confront him....he may well be armed and could be dangerous.
Good points Elston.

Another thing that you may want to do is to document (or rather have whomever is house-sitting for you document)
every move they make in the event you'll need it should you end up in court.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
I would find the biggest meanest redneck I could and rent him your place for dirt cheap and maybe let it slip that the neighbor is a "pro communist,anti-2nd amendment and a member of MamBLA." Light the fuse and walk far away!

bill

Old 06-08-2009, 04:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I would find the biggest meanest redneck I could and rent him your place for dirt cheap and maybe let it slip that the neighbor is a "pro communist,anti-2nd amendment and a member of MamBLA." Light the fuse and walk far away!

bill
Now there's an idea! Very funny.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:

bill
Hmmmm...picturing that in my mind... I'd like to be a fly on the fence for that one...

Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:

bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Now there's an idea! Very funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Hmmmm...picturing that in my mind... I'd like to be a fly on the fence for that one...
I think this is the solution!!!
Your gone most of the year, you come back with a huge "rent a redneck" and words out that you met him from federal prison email site and.......... he's an "honest criminal"... he only killed someone accidental in a fight with his bare hands. An honest mistake.
I can't believe my evil mind working... actually adding a roadrat, a splash of msina, and a sprinkle of reloop for just the right "bam" and you got yourself a wild idea.

I would go crazy with a neighbor like that.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I think this is the solution!!!

I can't believe my evil mind working... actually adding a roadrat, a splash of msina, and a sprinkle of reloop for just the right "bam" and you got yourself a wild idea.

I would go crazy with a neighbor like that.
I'll take that as a compliment. Although I think I'd add a dash of Ranger.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Epoxy is a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine