U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM

3,518 posts, read 3,509,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Here is the interesting part about this. People complain that brine destroys their cars, but it is really no worse than the salt/snow mix that splashes under your car. People are getting this stuff on their cars because they are driving during storms. The brine is applied to help keep roads clear for people to travel on. Maine grows annually so there are more people on the roads thus more road maintenance is needed. This stresses town and state budgets which drives them to find cheaper and better alternatives to old methods. More people drive during the winter. People complain that brine destroys their cars....

For curious people, I was at the last MDOT/Snowfighters training seminar. That is why I know so much about this.
I have a friend who owns an auto body shop who would disagree with you. - His business is very good .
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:24 PM

568 posts, read 1,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I have a friend who owns an auto body shop who would disagree with you. - His business is very good .

He can disagree all he likes. It's not the salt brine doing the damage. Most places in Maine still don't use it. Most places do use what's called a 'wet load' when they salt. A wet load is salt sprayed with calcium chloride. The cal chloride makes the salt wet to 'activate' it. Salt is also only good to about 20*. Cal chloride is used for colder temps, and it is generally bought in a liquid form. Because of this it is mixed with salt (generally on the plow truck,) and spread with the salt to combat the snow and ice. Cal chloride destroys vehicles. City plow trucks get washed after almost every storm because of this.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
He can disagree all he likes. It's not the salt brine doing the damage. Most places in Maine still don't use it. Most places do use what's called a 'wet load' when they salt. A wet load is salt sprayed with calcium chloride. The cal chloride makes the salt wet to 'activate' it. Salt is also only good to about 20*. Cal chloride is used for colder temps, and it is generally bought in a liquid form. Because of this it is mixed with salt (generally on the plow truck,) and spread with the salt to combat the snow and ice. Cal chloride destroys vehicles. City plow trucks get washed after almost every storm because of this.
Yes, calcium chloride is what he believes is the culprit. He has had 2005's that had high miles with a lot of damage done to the undercarridge.

Last edited by reloop; 03-25-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,678,928 times
when it is snowing realy bad i use beer on the road and the more beer i use the better the roads get.
and the better my driving gets.and eventualy im the best driver ever.

(those of you that dont know meIM KIDDING)

Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM

672 posts, read 1,141,988 times
Quote:
Salt is also only good to about 20*.
I have to comment on that statement. Daniel Fahrenheit who invented the Fahrenheit scale defined zero degrees fahrenheit as the coldest temperature that he could get a saturated salt solution to freeze. So I'd say salt melts ice down to 0 degrees F of course it would become less and less effective as it approached zero. The Calcium chloride lowers the freezing point of the brine solution below 0 F and the calcium brine is much more corrosive than rock salt.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 850,751 times
when it is snowing realy bad i use beer on the road and the more beer i use the better the roads get.

Only if you drink all the beer BEFORE you get behind the wheel, so that you can't drive at all.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 PM

21,878 posts, read 28,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post

I prefer rum, or better yet everclear.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,098,909 times
Quote:

I know this man!
"He carries beer around with him like it's an...
"Oxygen Tank".

... flings arm around shoulder of Ranger and says to everyone...
"Those of you that don't know me... I'm Kidding too."

Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM

81 posts, read 136,907 times
Kelly and Dub are both correct in their own ways. While salt does lower the melting point of water to around 0, it becomes exponentially less effective as you get below 25, 20, 25, etc. By 10, although it is not totally ineffective, the amount of salt required to do the job is massive. The pre-wet systems or use of "wet loads" allow salt to be economically feasible in the teens and single digits.

One way or the other, CaCl or MgCl solutions are much more corrosive than plain old NaCl salt, while salt does it's own damage it's much less than the calcium or magnesium chlorides. Of course, the worst is when you drive on a mix of salted and sanded roads, because the sand then cakes on and holds all the moisture and any corrosive residue right against the metal. There's no easy answer....

Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Snort!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine