U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM

143 posts, read 225,274 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone!

If you were moving to ME with two horses, two ewes, a dog and a cat, where would you go if you didn't want to be far from the coast? I've been on the search for over a year now and have considered Searsport, Belfast, Morrill, Bucksport, Winterport, Blue Hill, W. Tremont, and Steuben so far. I'm looking for places with attached barns or barns located not too far from the house and properties which have direct access to riding trails.

Smaller homes with 3+ acres would be ideal. Any suggestions?
Thx ahead of time for taking the time to respond and Happy Spring! This is such a great forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,507,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palval1 View Post
Hi, Everyone!

If you were moving to ME with two horses, two ewes, a dog and a cat, where would you go if you didn't want to be far from the coast? I've been on the search for over a year now and have considered Searsport, Belfast, Morrill, Bucksport, Winterport, Blue Hill, W. Tremont, and Steuben so far. I'm looking for places with attached barns or barns located not too far from the house and properties which have direct access to riding trails.

Smaller homes with 3+ acres would be ideal. Any suggestions?
Thx ahead of time for taking the time to respond and Happy Spring! This is such a great forum.
Are you going to have to work, or will your horses pay you enough to live on?

How much do you know about Maine? The difference in real estate prices between W. Tremont and Morrill, is on the order of magnitude.

It's pretty hard to give much of an answer based on what you have written so far.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:38 PM

Yes, I will be working, and yes, I do know Maine enough to know that I want to live there and believe it or not, I've been looking at a place in West Tremont for $250,000 which includes a barn. The place in Morrill is pretty close to that price. Most any property which doesn't require a lot of renovation is gonna cost between $180k and $250K, don't ya think?

In any event, thx for responding, Acadian.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,717,287 times
Oops! Didn't know I couldn't self-promote. I also saw a REAL nifty place in Brooks on craig's list at $319,000.00. Acreage, horse barn, etc. Brooks is a nice community, but differs widely from Winterport, Steuben, Tremont and the others you mentioned. Closest "town" would be Belfast. Tremont, being on MDI, I'd guess would be the most expensive, followed by Blue Hill Steuben much lower. Morrill -out-in-the-Waldo-sticks would probably be the least expensive. Maybe Steuben. Winterport-Hermon area somewhere in the middle, with more demand due to proximity to Bangor.

Dollar for dollar, and no need to travel or get to a metro area, Brooks looks real nice.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 PM

THANK YOU S-O-O-O-O MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT, EVERYONE! Brooks sounds really nice. My Steuben favorite is listed for $180 something and it's nice n' small and easy to maintain for a single like moi. The Blue Hill property is in the $180's, too. Now if I can just get my Cape home to sell everything will be just ducky! Heading up to your magnificent state on last wkend of April. Will let you know how the search went. In the meantime, I'll try to DM those of you who have been so kind to help me out.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM

16,372 posts, read 20,691,563 times
Check out Durham. Nice rural community within easy distance of Brunswick, Lewiston, Auburn, and Portland. And very near the coast.

And it's definitely horse country. I pass at least two horse ranches on my way home every day.

The towns you mentioned are a bit farther north than me. I don't know much about 'em. Sorry.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,717,287 times
Only thing about Steuben is that it's a little out-of-the way and not quite the "Coast of Maine" feel. I know someone will argue, but the oceanfront differs somewhat than the Penbay area. Also, run the towns for property tax mil rates and figure the driving distances. Steuben means driving to Ellsworth for weekly shopping needs. That said, it's a nice town. Blue Hill is a little more cosmopolitan, I guess you could say, and a little closer to regional shopping.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Maineac and Mark S., thanks for your replies....I'll check into Durham, Mark. I had checked out southern towns last year, but never got into Durham.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM

12 posts, read 27,144 times
Interesting note about barns and New England. Did you know the reason barns are painted the traditional red in New England and other snowy states is because during a snow storm/blizzard/nor'easter, people had to go take care of their livestock, and with a bright red barn, it was near impossible to miss and get lost in the snow and freeze to death!

We have a small farm in Monmouth, 30 acres, six horses, bunch of cattle and a few Dorsets, and we paid about 280k for it, and it's about an hour from the coast. Coastal regions with farms tend to be on the pricy side, just because you're looking for the best of both worlds; the coast and rural areas. However, coastal regions, since everyone wants a view, tends to be pretty squeezed in. Your best bet for rural land on the coast is probably going to be north of the mid-coast region, north of Ellsworth/Bar Harbor area. The job market is a little touchy in that area of Maine, however.

I would say look for a job that correlates to your needs, and then try to work around that. The job market here just isn't up to par, and to locate your farm (Which, as you know, is a very expensive operation) due to the ocean factor probably isn't the best idea. There are plenty of places that are very rural and are within an hour of the ocean and are reasonable real estate prices. Just keep in mind that the coast is in demand, and there's not any more in production!

Good luck Palval!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,599,037 times
If it were possible I would LOVE Blue Hill - my second choice would be Belfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine