Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

39 posts, read 128,225 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are moving out west this summer (late august), so we'll be visiting some national parks along the way. we're starting with acadia, and wanted to get some thoughts on what we should see.

1) what's on your must-see/do list?

2) if we only had one day, what should we see?

3) how many days should we spend to feel like we're not rushing? we were thinking 3 days.

4) how much can be seen from the car? or on smaller day hikes?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Not too sure about the hiking but there is alot to see at the park and off site as well. A cruise around the Loop Road is essential and of course the top of Cadillac Mtn. At the south of the Loop Road is a stable. They used to take you by buggy to the top of a mountain down that side of the Park. It's a nice ride and great views from up on top. Plenty of places to hike too. Get a map at the visiters center and hit all the attractions. DW and I go there once a summer on the motorcycle and just ride, walk, listen and smell. Beware though, it gets windy on top of Cadillac. Enjoy it.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM

when i say hiking i mean being outside of the car. my husband is more outdoorsy than i, but i'm willing to work on it for him.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,767 times
Drive to the top of the mountain and watch the sun rise. Make sure to get an early start as there will be many people there and the experience really is amazing. This, of course, assuming it isn't cloudy/raining. First place to see the sun in the US.

If you can - visit "thunder hole" on the loop road at high tide. Makes an amazing sound.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Drive to the top of the mountain and watch the sun rise. Make sure to get an early start as there will be many people there and the experience really is amazing. This, of course, assuming it isn't cloudy/raining. First place to see the sun in the US.

If you can - visit "thunder hole" on the loop road at high tide. Makes an amazing sound.
Make sure to visit The Hole when the tide is coming in, and about half way in at that. If you get it on a very calm day, or at full high tide, it's not very thunderous at all. (It needs room for the backsplash to "thunder" back out of the cave). On a windy day, it's gets even better.

Thunder Hole - Acadia National Park Maine

YouTube - Thunderhole rocking in Acadia National Park

Jordan Pond House is great for old-fashioned tea and crumpets.

Jordan Pond House Restaurant

Blackwood Stables offers the horse-drawn carriages up Day Mountain.

Wildwood Stables - Acadia National Park Maine

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM

wow! this is super helpful! any idea on how many days we should spend in this park?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
I could spend a week and still complain it wasn't enough. But I can drive there in 2 1/2 hrs. Depends on you. Plenty to see and do there. Good resteraunts, shopping, whale watching, the whole 9 enchiladas (or something like that).

BTW Great clip, deerislesmile. Loved it.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
oh! DIS I loved that! I've never been lucky enough to catch it like that!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default too much to see and do

lunch at jordan pond house
hike the carriage roads
drive the loop, stop and hike
Sand beach a must see, has its own microclimate, can be hot as July in mid April on the beach....water is another story
hike, hike, hike, fish, fish, fish, paddle, paddle, paddle
College of the Atlantic tour
Cadillac mountain sunset/ sunrise, also have a religious service Sunday am
whale watch, nice hike, spooky drive, make sure you have good brakes!
24/7 bathroom next to the Bar Harbor police station
Schooner head/ sea cave right outside of BH
Blueberry Hill ice cream on the way in on rt 1
Geddy's restaurant in BH

Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
oh! DIS I loved that! I've never been lucky enough to catch it like that!
Way back in my reckless, pre-Mommy days, if there was a hurricane or even gale winds coming in from the SE, my friends knew exactly where I would be. I do recall being chased out of there by a ranger or two because the swells and wind made it too dangerous to be on the lower part of the ledge. Oddly enough, I was standing there during the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo (HUGE waves!), soaked to the bone and loving it! And if my son ever does that, he'll be in BIG trouble- lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: