Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 22,491 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 yr old Jersey girl, born and bred. Looks like I'll be moving up to Maine the end of August or right around there and I'm scared to death! I'm so used to "suburbia" and having a Wal-mart ten minutes away, I'm not sure what to expect!

I have a son who is almost a year old.

Just looking for some information on what to expect. I believe we're looking at the Waterville area or round abouts.

Really looking forward to a change of lifestyle, but nervous too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I was stationed at Lakehurst back in 63. That was just about wilderness with the Pine Barrens off to the south. Now much of Maine is within 10 minutes of a WalMart except for some up tight towns in the mid-coast area. Unless you will be employed in Waterville, take a look at the lincoln area.

Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

Don't worry about being in Maine. We don't bite and Maine is the safest state according to the FBI.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM

86 posts, read 238,822 times
You moving to Maine on a whim and by yourself or you got family/friends in Maine?

I myself 'might' be movingto the Portland area myself in a couple of months if I don't find another job before I get laid off.
I'm with a woman who is from that area so job and stuff is pretty much covered for me.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Might I suggest the Freeport/Brunswick Area of Maine?

its close to the Mid-Coast , with all the ocean-side communities but also close to Portland as well and has a bunch of services right nearby and outlet shopping areas.

More info on Freeport-Brunswick Area can be found here

FreeportUSA - The Official Website of Freeport Merchants Association

Map of Freeport
Freeport Map (http://www.freeportusa.com/FreeportMap.html - broken link)

Shopping in Freeport
Freeport Shop (http://www.freeportusa.com/FreeportShop.html - broken link)

Freeport is home to L.L. Bean's HQ as well

here's a few other shops in freeport
Mangy Moose Maine Welcome! Hatley Clothing Moose Items Maine Gifts - The Mangy Moose

L L Bean
L.L.Bean Official Site: Free $10 Gift Card with Purchase of $50 or More

there's lots to do in the area, and downtown portland is a short drive away

Things to do in Freeport
Freeport Attractions - Best Activities & Things to Do in Freeport ME - UpTake

Wolfe's Neck State park with trails and hiking and such
is in Freeport as well
Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park - Freeport - Reviews of Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park - TripAdvisor

Patagonia Outlet-
Patagonia Outlet Freeport - #9 Bow Street Freeport, ME 04032 (207) 865-0506
Patagonia Outdoor Clothing, Technical Apparel and Gear for Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Surf, Fishing

The Desert of Maine is a cool attraction right in Freeport
Desert of Maine - Freeport, ME Maine's Natural Phenomenon ... only minutes from LL Bean

Freeport shops
Shopping Freeport ME Maine + Outlet Mall - City Guide

Figures of Speech theater
Welcome to Figures of Speech Theatre

Freeport COmmunity Players
Freeport Players

Tripadvisor: Freeport mE attractions
Things to Do in Freeport - Freeport Attractions - TripAdvisor

in Pownal off route 9 there's Bradbury Mountain State park
as well
http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/...ailMapWest.pdf
http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/...ailMapEast.pdf
Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands:
http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/progr...radburymtn.jpg
Home - bradburymountain.com

of course lots of fine dining and seafood in the area

and you're a relatively short drive away from the mid-coast.

only a couple hours from Acadia National Park as well for a weekend getaway

you could take the AMTRAK down to Boston if you wanted to do something in the city or go for a weekend or something

Anyway hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Jeff D.
Winchester, MA

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-06-2009 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: sigs are not allowed

Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
If you are landing in Waterville (my home town) you will be fine. There is a Super WM right off upper Maine Street. There is also KMart, JCPenney, Hannaford, and lots of smaller stores in the same area. Oh, and also Home Depot at the end of the road that houses the WM.

Do you already have a job lined up? There aren't a lot of well paying jobs in the WTVL area, mostly a lot of retail and restaurant type jobs. Of course, Augusta is just 15-20 minutes down I95 and many people make that commute daily.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Yep, even WAY out here in Downeast no-man's land, Walmart is only 7 minutes from my house.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
I was stationed at Mcguire for 9 years. If your near Wrightstown (zip code) then Waterville would be right up your alley. While theres not 3 malls withing 30 minutes there is Wally World there and in Augusta. Plenty of shops, eateries, Home depot, and 2 colleges, all that. I even think there are kids stores in town. Waterville is a nice city. Portland is an hour south by turnpike, and theres a big mall there. Bangor is about an hour north and all kinds of shopping there. Just don't think you're going to find a 2 story mall like Burlington. Freeport is going to be packed with yuppies (still a word?) from May to Sept. And I mean packed.

Do you have family or a job lined up? Give us more info and we can (and will) help as much as humanly possible. Good luck to you and your son.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl26 View Post
I'm a 27 yr old Jersey girl, born and bred. Looks like I'll be moving up to Maine the end of August or right around there and I'm scared to death! I'm so used to "suburbia" and having a Wal-mart ten minutes away, I'm not sure what to expect!

Just looking for some information on what to expect. I believe we're looking at the Waterville area or round abouts.

Congrats!

And don't worry. If you're in Waterville, you won't be in the sticks. You'll be within easy driving distance of both Augusta and Bangor (sizeable cities), and Waterville isn't exactly Mayberry.

As for what to expect, especially differences from Jersey:

A real winter. Most years, you can start looking for snow around Thanksgiving, and you can start expecting spring in late March or early April.

Other than the occasional roadwork, the only traffic jams you can expect will be caused by a moose or porcupine crossing the road.

Clean air.

People from Massachusetts can't drive.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl26 View Post

Well, now. If you don't know "what to expect" and plan to move to the Waterville area or "round abouts", I guess I ought to ask "WHY"?

If you don't know "what to expect", you either are independently wealthy and can afford to mover around on a whim, or you are deliberately looking for more trouble than you can possibly imagine.

What do you know about Maine in general, and what do you need to have in order to live comfortably? If it is a job that you will need, you should do a LOT of research into the kind of job that you will need. It may not be in Waterville "or roundabouts" at all, and it might not even be in Maine.

From reading your post, it sounds to me like you want to live somewhere other than where you are, and you are expecting Maine to provide something that you don't have where you are now.

Maine will indeed provide something that you don't have now, and a LOT of things that you have now will not be found in many places in Maine at all.

I hope your enthusiasm doesn't become tempered by the extreme hardship that can befall the unwary and unprepared who come to Maine on a whim.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 22,491 times
Default Thanks for info!

To answer a few questions, no I am not independantly wealthy nor am I moving to Maine "on a whim" so-to-say.

I fell in love with an airman stationed at McGuire AFB and he is from Maine, as well as all of his family lives there. He separates in August so we will be relocating to Maine after he is out.

I am very aware of the job search right now no matter where you live, so I am prepared for that. I have much experience in various fields, but am looking to be going to school right off the bat (or as soon as I possibly can) to get my degree and give my son the life I wish I could now. I checked out UMaine yesterday, but they do not offer online courses (that I have found) or I would be starting immediately.

Thank you all so much for your infomation. I'm glad that Wally World isn't too far away from anywhere it seems, and I don't really do the whole mall thing. I'm more of a homebody who likes peace and quiet and the country. And safeness. And friendly people. Looks like I just may fit in well. =o)

And PS - Jersey drivers drive way too fast. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine