Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 109,784 times

Advertisements

Renting a house on the beach near Gouldsboro, is it permissible to build a fire on the beach there? This would be a purely sit around and have a beer with friends, possible steam/cook some sort of food fire not for trash.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
You should ask the folks at the Gouldsboro fire department or Town Office.

Town of Gouldsboro, Maine :: Fire Department

Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Tried that. No response.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Moose Will Do View Post
Tried that. No response.
Did you try calling the Town Office? Which, in typical Maine fashion, is in the same building as the Fire Department-lol. The site lists the Town Office hours as M-F, 8-4. Phone: (207) 963-5589. You're going to need to talk to someone who actually knows whether or not you can have a fire in that location, rather than someone on this board. I think it would put quite a damper on an relaxing evening to have all 3 of the Gouldsboro fire engines showing up at your vacation home because someone reported a fire!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
You need to call the fire department. They are the only ones you're likely to get completely accurate info from about your particular location.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Actually, I emailed the town directly, which puts you in touch with the Deputy Town Clerk who was extremely helpful and responsive.

Fire permits for the town of Gouldsboro are available for free during regular business hours in the Town Office.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,219 times
go ahead and build your fire. fires are allowed as long as they are enclosed, all you have to do is build a fire pit with some rocks or a iron firering. you wont be doing anything wrong.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
True. If it is on your property you can do it. (This may not be true in Portland.)

Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,774 times
I thought there was a loophole in the fire permitting rules in Maine that allows fire to be built for the consumption of food?

When we were kids we used to go out to Sears Island on the low tide, cook up steamers and mussels up until the great State of Maine and all their wisdom decided to build a mega-road out to the island only to put a fence up and keep us out of there for the "betterment of all".

We used to go up to Cobscook Bay and do the same thing on Little Deer Island until the Land Consevency took over that island as well. I think we can all thank the environmentalists for ruining long standing traditions in Maine "for the betterment of us all" or is that, "for the betterment of them?"

Sorry to be so bitter but we have lost an enormous amount of freedoms in the 35 years of my life. Building a fire, drinking a beer and steaming up some mussels and clams should fall under the "life, liberty and prusuit of happinesss" our forefathers died for in the Revolutionary War. My Great Grandfather would be sideways mad that he drove out the French and Indians out of Maine in 1755 only to have his Great Grandson in 2010 be forced into getting a fire permit to steam a few mussels 255 years later.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I thought there was a loophole in the fire permitting rules in Maine that allows fire to be built for the consumption of food?

When we were kids we used to go out to Sears Island on the low tide, cook up steamers and mussels up until the great State of Maine and all their wisdom decided to build a mega-road out to the island only to put a fence up and keep us out of there for the "betterment of all".

We used to go up to Cobscook Bay and do the same thing on Little Deer Island until the Land Consevency took over that island as well. I think we can all thank the environmentalists for ruining long standing traditions in Maine "for the betterment of us all" or is that, "for the betterment of them?"

Sorry to be so bitter but we have lost an enormous amount of freedoms in the 35 years of my life. Building a fire, drinking a beer and steaming up some mussels and clams should fall under the "life, liberty and prusuit of happinesss" our forefathers died for in the Revolutionary War. My Great Grandfather would be sideways mad that he drove out the French and Indians out of Maine in 1755 only to have his Great Grandson in 2010 be forced into getting a fire permit to steam a few mussels 255 years later.

The point of building the fire is okay, but it has to be on your own land. In Maine, landowners can own the property all the way to the low water. You could be trespassing on some ones property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine