U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM

343 posts, read 372,105 times
Default Has anyone ever been to Clayton Lake?

I'm looking around on Google Earth, and I figured I'd go see what Clayton Lake looks like. It seems to be a tiny little town, hell it even has its own zip code (04737) AND post office.

I was wondering if it's inhabited year round. It seems to be so far in the North Maine Woods, I'm amazed that ANYTHING could pop up there, let alone be inhabited year round.

I was told that I went there once, but mesa no remember...

I know it's DEFINATELY not a lively place, but does anyone have stories of that place?

P.S., if you have Google Earth, input these coords: 46.610414, -69.522577
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,268,786 times
Been to Clayton Lake plenty of times. It is a maintenance Depot for a Paper Mill and bunkhouse for their wood cutters. When I was going out there they worked Monday - Thursday and had Fri-Sun off. The cook was a grumpy old so-and-so, but could cook to beat hell and was dedicated to providing great meals to the workers. I worked out there several times when their generator and one of the buildings burned down in the winter and we went to replace it. Cold, and more cold. Worked on the week-ends while their crew was gone home and can tell you it is a lonely little outpost when it is -7million degrees with the wind and the tools have to be kept in the cab of the truck with the heater on just so they will work for 1/2 an hour when you take them out.

Went out there several times in the Summer as well and it is actually a very nice place. Don't expect ANYTHING in the way of services to the general public though. No gas, no food, no nothing. Not even a landline phone that hooks to the US system. The landline was fed off the Canadian grid through Daaquam and everything else was by satellite phone. There was a few people that stayed there year round in a few small houses around the main building but they worked there as well. Overall a nice place to drive through, but not really a "town." Short answer: Yes people are there during the winter.

I used to hunt in that area as well right up until a couple of years ago when I started hitting the area around Greenlaw Crossing because of the distance back there.

I mention the cook, because the first time we went out there, we were under the impression there was somebody there all the time during the week-end. We didn't bring groceries, and the cook wouldn't let ANYBODY in his kitchen when he wasn't there. So I told the kid that rode up to help me to pack our stuff back in the truck and they could go pound sand up a rather uncomfortable place because I wasn't going to eat cold beans out of a can for anybody or any amount of money. The cook started to laugh and gave me a key to the fridge with the warning that it had better be clean when he came back Monday morning. Woke up at 4:30 Am the following morning to the smell of bacon and sausage and walked downstairs to find the cook in the kitchen making breakfast with his wife. He had brought us a bag of groceries and decided to get up a "little early" to come drop them off and make us breakfast so we didn't make a mess. (He lived 3 or 4 hours away depending on road conditions). When he left a few hours later, they had made us each a pie for dessert that night as well as one for Sunday night. Along with pre-making great meals that all we had to do was heat up after a cold miserable day. Heart of gold, but as rough as board nails. If you wore a hat into his dining room he would NOT serve you food, even if you took it off after you got in there. It had to be OFF before you set foot into his room.

Last edited by Bydand; 04-14-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,785,612 times
I bagged my first moose at a small pond near Clayton called Cunliff. We rented a cabin on the pond from the paper company. Clayton Pond is truly a logging outpost from days gone by. The weather station there has a regular habit of recording the lowest winter temps in the nation.

Go up and enjoy! Take the Kokadjo Road out of Greenville to the golden road up through Telos and the Pinkham Road. Stay and fish, hunt or recreate at Spider and Haymock. Hit the Realty Road. Explore Clayton area, visit the Mesquacooks. There is lots to see and do as well as some nice hiking. You can always slip into Ashland for a day out of the woods.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,079,482 times
Oh yeah I have been there a few times...though not really a town, more of a place, kind of like Coburn Gore or Churchill Dam.

The first time I was up there it was a Monday and drove through the "town" and kept going. Eventually we kept seeing these mile markers on the trees counting down, 6,5,4,3...I asked the ex-wife what we would see when we got to zero. Neither of us had any idea, but about that time we hit hot top, saw powerlines, saw kids playing on the lawns and around the rather inhabited...This was a shock as we had not see human lifeforms in 6 hours of riding.

I looked at her and said, "I think we are in Canada now." We were too, but there was absolutely no gate, border crossing or anything. It was quite surreal, but cool too.

I live in Waldo County and sometimes I just got to get away from the overcrowding here and head to a better place. Heck some winters I long to see a real winter and go up there too. As Mainer's some of us do not understand the treasure that the great north woods is, and the ones that do want to turn it into a national park which will ultimately ruin it...not preserve it.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

8,748 posts, read 11,231,362 times
It must have been a while ago when you drove into Canada with no gate! Before 2000! Now it's all blocked off with radiation detectors and cameras all over the place. You were most likely in Daquaam. That border crossing has been closed for 10 years now and the bridge after Clayton Lake has been removed so you have to drive 50 miles to St. Pamphile and down the other side of the St John to get there now. They dug out the gate and piled rocks and removed some small bridges at these crossings since 9/11 2001 so you couldn't possibly drive a vehicle over them now. Even in places like Lac Frontiere and Daquaam they have cameras and motion detectors mounted on concrete posts now. It's not like it used to be! I agree on the national park ruining the North Maine Woods. The State should buy it before the feds get it. Clayton Lake just built some new garages and outbuildings this summer. There are a few float planes always in the lake. You CAN buy gas there if you can find someone around to sell it to you. There is no store. It's basically a place for wardens, rangers and loggers to hang out. I'm sure the permanent population is less than 20.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 AM

139 posts, read 218,335 times
Been camping there a few times. It is remote, quiet, full of wildlife, and fun. It is where some of my fondest memories were made as I was growing up. My parents would plan a trip to Clayton lake every year.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,061,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I live in Waldo County and sometimes I just got to get away from the overcrowding here and head to a better place.
I've read that the 2009 Waldo County population is 38,511, which is 53 people per square mile.

Now I agree that 53/sq mi is not exactly void of people, but does that few people actually give one a sense of crowding after a while?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 AM

12,146 posts, read 21,268,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I've read that the 2009 Waldo County population is 38,511, which is 53 people per square mile.

Now I agree that 53/sq mi is not exactly void of people, but does that few people actually give one a sense of crowding after a while?
It depends on where you are at in Waldo County. Plus during the summer there are a lot more people than those who live there clogging everything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine