Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Now I've truly seen it all. I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
My son and his two little friends learned one lesson yesterday.... Never forget that the tide comes back in when you are exploring on the beach! They were hunting for crabs and other beach treasures and were on a bunch of rocks at the edge of the water. 20 minutes later... they were on their own little island and yelling for me to bring them the canoe (the water between them and the rest of the beach was less than a foot deep and the span less than 8 feet....). So, after I negged on dragging the canoe down to them, they realized that they would have to walk through that water to get back to dry land. And after a very cold and wet walk back to the house (not very far at all, but to them it probably felt like miles!)...maybe they will remember to watch the water next time?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,348 times
Yes, I bring regular toilet paper with me, too. I kinda scuff the ground with my boot, grab a handfull of soil and sprinkle it over the toilet paper and cover with dead leaves then tamp on it with my foot. I never see it again, yet again, I don't go looking either.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,348 times
My grandfather taught us that while we are walking into the woods of unfamiliar territory, to bend a small branch in the direction pointing to "home" or "out". You bend it enough to break one side of it so it remains pointing to the direction without drooping. Always break it at shoulder height so you know where to look for it. also, never go beyond seeing distance of the last once before you "break" a new branch. That way you can spot the next one before you leave the spot you are at. It has worked MANY times for me.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM

107 posts, read 507,449 times
When Emerson wrote, "The moss upon the forest bark Was pole-star when the night was dark," he was actually talking about lichen, which hadn't yet been distinguished from moss at that time.

Moss actually isn't that finicky. Lichen, on the other hand, does generally prefer the north side of trees, rocks, etc.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
When Emerson wrote, "The moss upon the forest bark Was pole-star when the night was dark," he was actually talking about lichen, which hadn't yet been distinguished from moss at that time.

Moss actually isn't that finicky. Lichen, on the other hand, does generally prefer the north side of trees, rocks, etc.
Liken the lichen explanation over here.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Liken the lichen explanation over here.
I'm lichen it, too

Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 PM

23,557 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default North, so what?

You can look at all the moss you want and even if you are confident of its direction it will be useless, unless you looked at a map beforehand and or an established baseline to walk toward.

Lost in Washington county one Nov evening has converted me to a mapophile. Go nowhere unless you have a map or mapping software or a gps and or a compass. Find a baseline to walk out to and then make sure you know what direction you should be walking when you hit the baseline.

You get lost when you think you can't get lost. "I'm Just going over there a ways", pretty much summarizes up many a travellers' last words.

If you feel the need to shout or blow a whistle to perhaps attract attention, be aware that any sound made at ground level will be muted and useless. May be bad advice, but your best bet is to climb a tree to make your noises. Bad advice because you could get hurt climbing a tree.

Never tried it, but way back when in the boyscouts we were told of a Sweedish compass. Basicaly a very long sapling cut and dragged behind you in order to keep you on a straight course vs the typical circling lost folks do in dense woods.

Noonish will find the sun in a due south position.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
Good advice - Kracer! I never venture into the woods without a compass and a glance at the Gazettere before leaving the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine