U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM

98 posts, read 172,962 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I posted to the Vermont Forum recently about relocation. I have been seriously thinking of relocation to Maine for the past couple years. I have never been to Maine, and do not even know why I have been drawn to the beautiful state of Maine. I have seen pictures, of course, and have been reading up on Maine's statistics, etc... It is breathtaking, from what I have been looking at. A little about myself... I am a divorced woman, in my early 40's. I now live in Ellwood City, PA. My current place that I am trying to sell is 5+ acres. On it, I raise dairy goats, a small flock of laying hens, a small flock of meat chickens, an occasional pig and calf for my freezer, and draft horses. I have 4 Shires and a Spotted Draft. I am pretty much self sufficient. I have been gainfully employed for most of my life, though recently was laid off at a major company due to the economy. I was a production technician. I have done all kinds of work in my life from waitressing to stick welding. I worked at Lockheed about 15 years ago, building F-16's, when I lived in Texas. I moved to PA about 10 years ago, as most of my family are Pennsylvanians. I lived in Texas about 18 years prior. When I left Texas, I loaded up my few personal belongings, 17 dairy goats, 5 chickens, 3 geese, and my English Mastiff in a '65 Dodge pickup and trailer and headed North. I did this venture by myself. Even though I have family here, after 10 years, it still does not feel like I am home. I feel like I am more "at home" when I see pictures and hear things about Maine. I am currently pursuing schooling for being a licenced nurse, while awaiting my house to sell.
With my goat milk I raise a critter or two to butcher, as I have mentioned before, and also I make a couple wonderful easy farm cheeses. I have been told that it is very good, and would sell it if I was legally allowed here in PA. I hope to also start a carriage service with my Drafts. I am a quiet person, by nature. I appreciate my privacy as well as others'. I am looking up around the area of Medford, or even possibly Lincoln. I would have to have some type of employment and heard that there is even a "Wallyworld", so maybe even there until I can finish school for nursing. I do love the cold weather,the 4 seasons, and really like hunting, also. Is there hope for me, yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:48 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,050,038 times
Most often this is where I usually find myself encouraging someone, who has expressed some unknown desire to pack up and move to Maine, to make sure they do their homework. Maine is not for everyone, jobs are hard to come by ect ect yata yata yata!

But after reading your post and your history I somehow feel you would fit right in! YES, there is hope for you! I think you will meet a great many people on this forum who will have a wealth of information for you.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,505,902 times
Get someone to watch your animals and drive up for a few weeks to look around.

Do not....write that down...do NOT just pack up and move to Maine expecting that things will "work out". They will "work out" all right, but during the eight to ten months that you may have to spend "working it out", you might starve to death.

Now having said that, you may find things pretty good here for you. You obviously have guts and gumption, and those two things are worth about 50 points on the 100 point scale.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks,
I hope to make a fast trip up to check out the couple houses with acreage that might be suitable for me and my "family" aka critters. I am even thinking to apply at a couple of the farms that offer an apprentice program to learn better how to use my Shires on my own land for my own crop of hay/corn/oats. I am looking at about 5-10 acres that would suffice. I have heard of "aways" that like to "change" things for the better, maybe put up lights everywhere, pave more, build more... I don't want to do anything like that. One thing I do miss about Texas was the beautiful night sky views. The shooting stars, the little bitty stars everywhere that could be seen due to the lack of lights! Though, what would the best time, besides dead o' winter, to visit? I really "feel" Maine...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,019,150 times
Every now and then someone's post screams "Maine-iac" to me. Being as self sufficient and as adaptable as you seem to be, along with the "call to Maine" you have it seems you need to do a little research to narrow down an area, then come up for a visit (or a few) to see if this is really where you want to be. Having said that.......... Come on home.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 AM

30,630 posts, read 49,281,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
Hello,
I posted to the Vermont Forum recently about relocation. I have been seriously thinking of relocation to Maine for the past couple years.
Greetings.

Maine is a great place.

Quote:
... I have never been to Maine, and do not even know why I have been drawn to the beautiful state of Maine. I have seen pictures, of course, and have been reading up on Maine's statistics, etc... It is breathtaking, from what I have been looking at.
I had never been to Maine either, before we decided to move here.

We heard about it. We read about it.

Decided that we knew as much about Maine, as we had known about previous places where my employer had been sending us.

Quote:
... A little about myself... I am a divorced woman, in my early 40's. I now live in Ellwood City, PA. My current place that I am trying to sell is 5+ acres. On it, I raise dairy goats, a small flock of laying hens, a small flock of meat chickens, an occasional pig and calf for my freezer, and draft horses. I have 4 Shires and a Spotted Draft. I am pretty much self sufficient. I have been gainfully employed for most of my life, though recently was laid off at a major company due to the economy. I was a production technician. I have done all kinds of work in my life from waitressing to stick welding. I worked at Lockheed about 15 years ago, building F-16's, when I lived in Texas. I moved to PA about 10 years ago, as most of my family are Pennsylvanians. I lived in Texas about 18 years prior. When I left Texas, I loaded up my few personal belongings, 17 dairy goats, 5 chickens, 3 geese, and my English Mastiff in a '65 Dodge pickup and trailer and headed North. I did this venture by myself.

Wow: goats, chickens, pigs, cows, and draft horses.

Sounds good to me.

We have a real shortage of draft horses in this area.

I have bought grain before from a family who uses draft horses to work their fields. But other than that, there are few farms here that have them.

If oil ever goes away, it is going to be the draft horses that carry us through. As you know it takes years to produce horses. If we were ever to seriously begin preparing for petroleum to go away; someone needs to get busy breeding draft horses fast.

We are working on that "pretty much self sufficient" it is hard to do.

A waitressing welder, sounds cool to me.

Quote:
I did this venture by myself
You should in fit right nicely.

Quote:
... Even though I have family here, after 10 years, it still does not feel like I am home. I feel like I am more "at home" when I see pictures and hear things about Maine.
Your sick, infected I say, sick, and possibly contagious!

You have become infected with a serious disease.

'Maineiac syndrome' is not to be treated lightly.

I recommend a strong dose of living in Maine for 40 years as your prescription. [just to be sure]

Quote:
... I am currently pursuing schooling for being a licenced nurse
Penobscot county is really nice, it is where we live.

Knowing a nurse would be really great! I get tired of stitching myself up at times.

Quote:
... and also I make a couple wonderful easy farm cheeses.
My Dw has made cheeses too, you sound like you would fit in real good here.

Quote:
... I have been told that it is very good, and would sell it if I was legally allowed here in PA.
Maine has a cheese-makers guild. I know two professional cheesemakers. They have both asked us to join their guild, but where we settled is too rural, not enough inspectors to maintain the licensing needed for a dairy and cheese processing facility [we have discussed this issue with the state even]

Quote:
... I hope to also start a carriage service with my Drafts. I am a quiet person, by nature. I appreciate my privacy as well as others'. I am looking up around the area of Medford, or even possibly Lincoln. I would have to have some type of employment and heard that there is even a "Wallyworld", so maybe even there until I can finish school for nursing. I do love the cold weather,the 4 seasons, and really like hunting, also. Is there hope for me, yet?
I read most of your post to my Dw.

She said out loud what I was thinking: "Want to be our neighbor"?

Last edited by Submariner; 04-17-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: sp3ll!ng

Old 04-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Thank you all, my soon to be neighbors! Anyone that may want to relocate to Pennsylvania, I know of a 5 acre place w/house! LOL!!! I just HOPE that this place sells soon! I am trying to find a friend that can milk my girls for a few days or a week. I want to check out a couple places in person. Also will need to find a reliable feed/hay/vet source for the gang... I hope to be "home" soon! Anyone that wants the recipes for a couple easy cheeses, let me know, as I am happy to share! Thank YOU again!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM

312 posts, read 635,304 times
My husband and I live in PA, too, and our house is currently for sale so that we can move to Maine....

Here's hopin' we all get there soon!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,388,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
Thanks,
I hope to make a fast trip up to check out the couple houses with acreage that might be suitable for me and my "family" aka critters. I am even thinking to apply at a couple of the farms that offer an apprentice program to learn better how to use my Shires on my own land for my own crop of hay/corn/oats. I am looking at about 5-10 acres that would suffice. I have heard of "aways" that like to "change" things for the better, maybe put up lights everywhere, pave more, build more... I don't want to do anything like that. One thing I do miss about Texas was the beautiful night sky views. The shooting stars, the little bitty stars everywhere that could be seen due to the lack of lights! Though, what would the best time, besides dead o' winter, to visit? I really "feel" Maine...
Well, you sound like you'd fit it pretty well here! I always second Acadialion with the "do not pack up and just come up here -visit first." statement that he makes.

"Dead o' winter" is absolutely mandatory for at least one visit - preferably late February or early March. Late September/early October is a good time to visit as well. The summer months bring many tourists, so the "flavor" of native Maine during peak tourist season may be slightly diluted.

There seems to be more laborer-type jobs lately so that welding experience may come in handy. You should definitely have a job lined up before you move the critters 'tho...it's a short grow season for grasses, and feed can be pretty pricey right now (although it is coming down somewhat).

Nursing is a great profession to get into for sure, but even the hospitals are either sitting tight or laying off right now (only a few are laying off, but not many are hiring either). Nonetheless, the degree should definitely be something you persue .

Hopefully, the economy will turn soon, but I get the feeling we're in for a long haul right now.

At any rate, I wish you luck on your "research"

Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 AM

30,630 posts, read 49,281,484 times
So do you have an up-date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine