Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:32 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I can't speak for everyone of course but my DH has worked for Schwans and we have BC/BS of MN with MN rates. Our coverage was extremely good and we paid very little for it. DH currently works for a Canadian company but they provide United Healthcare coverage for U.S. employees. We pay $350 a month for health insurance, the best dental I've ever seen, and vision. It would be the same if/when we transfer back to Maine.
I think that if you examine your insurance coverage you will find that while YOU may pay the same amount as an employee in Minnesota, the company's share of what you pay is larger for you in Maine, than it would be if you lived in Minnesota. You are part of an employer's group, and the rating for such large policies is entirely different from small groups and for individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
I'm sorry to continue talking about insurance on this thread but I don't know how to move Acadianlion's quote over to another thread Hopefully this info will help Luv4ThePaws too!
This entire thread has morphed a bit away from Luv4ThePaws original thread which was about moving to Maine. Inevitably, whenever anyone speaks of moving to Maine, the issue of health insurance should come up at some point as it is a potential deal breaker for a lot of people who need to buy their own health insurance.

Now, L4TP and spouse are unemployed. It may be a cold day in Maine when they find employment with health insurance provided. IF that turns out to be the case, the cost of health insurance may well be $7-800 per month for them, which will be possibly as much as their rent.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 PM

186 posts, read 448,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
This entire thread has morphed a bit away from Luv4ThePaws original thread which was about moving to Maine. Inevitably, whenever anyone speaks of moving to Maine, the issue of health insurance should come up at some point as it is a potential deal breaker for a lot of people who need to buy their own health insurance.

Now, L4TP and spouse are unemployed. It may be a cold day in Maine when they find employment with health insurance provided. IF that turns out to be the case, the cost of health insurance may well be $7-800 per month for them, which will be possibly as much as their rent.
All of the jobs he has applied for have insurance provided but the whole system seems so screwy to me! It seems vastly unfair that people have to live like that and something needs to be done.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So long as your front porch is big enough, so all your dogs can fit under it, you should be fine
Well, two are tiny Chihuahuas so I think they could all squeeze under it with plenty of room to spare for any others needing a home! Speaking of which, the little ones would probably get lost in all the snow... They would turn into pupsicles if left out too long!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
I have a lot of pets...alot of people say rent before you buy if you are relocating..Thats not really possible for me lol.Its hard enough to find a rental if you have a few pets,i have more like my own personal zoo I have another question,is it possible to get a mortgage if you are planning a move out of state,if you do not yet have a job?Or do they base your income on your current job,before you move?I hope that made sense..
thank you for the response so far!

My sister and her husband were able to get a mortgage for their home in S. Burlington, VT without having definate jobs. However, this was back in 2007 when standards were much more relaxed in the industry. Plus, they put a sizable chunk of money down and had excellent credit which definately helped their case. I have also known one or two people who were able to get a mortgage right as they were starting a new job, however they had to furnish a letter from their employer stating their wages and what-not. I do not know specific requirements for Maine though- sorry!

P.S. I know how hard it is to find a rental that will take multiple pets! I actually saw more available in Maine, however, than anywhere else. Not surprising though, because it is not a state full of subdivisions and neighbors right on top of you like it is other places. Maybe less people to potentially complain about you? Whatever the case, you may be able to find just what you're looking for!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 AM

162 posts, read 400,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
All of the jobs he has applied for have insurance provided but the whole system seems so screwy to me! It seems vastly unfair that people have to live like that and something needs to be done.
I absolutely do not want to get involved in this whole Maine health care discussion, which I think has been hashed nearly to death, but.....! I can't agree that "screwy" and "vastly unfair" are quite the right adjectives when you find out more of the story. Maine is what some refer to as a "guaranteed issue" state. Any insurer that wants to sell group policies in Maine must also sell individual policies to anyone, at community rates. In other words, they can't just skim off the cream and leave people with current or past health problems out in the cold. Insurance companies other than Anthem stopped selling in Maine.

There are those who want to have a ballot proposition saying people can buy insurance anywhere. Sounds good, right? Just keep in mind that although Anthem's coverage is insanely expensive, it is real coverage. So many of these inexpensive policies are full of holes and nearly worthless if you actually have a problem. And, if you don't have guaranteed issue, many people will not be able to buy coverage at all. (If you have a chronic health problem, like diabetes, or even if you don't and are in good health but have a past history of a condition like, say, cancer, insurance underwriters will generally turn you away, give you a policy full of exclusions and/or make coverage prohibitively expensive.) My fear is that a wide-open policy is just a race to the bottom. I am grateful that Maine's system allows me to buy coverage, though I think Anthem's charges are way out of line and simply unaffordable for many people. In the end, I don't think Maine can solve this coverage problem. We need a national solution.

I guess the bottom line for the move you are considering is that you do have to take into account potential health insurance costs.

Best of luck to you and your menagerie!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
We're lucky. Feds have great health insurance options. We appreciate it all the more after living for years with no insurance, and me with chronic health issues. There's something seriously wrong with a country like ours where people get sick but can't get care because they can't afford to pay for it or the insurance to cover it. And I think it's embarrassing to our country that senior citizens and children, or ANYONE has to go without meds because of the cost of prescriptions.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:58 PM

176 posts, read 510,417 times
I think you will do well I have experience with the moveing blind thing. I think its always harder to move away fom a place that a loved one who died help you pick out. Are you going to be renting or buying? The dog thing you might have problems with if your renting because alot of places dont allow them at all but there is nice places that do allow them some might want a deposit for each of them but its not impossible. The profession your husband is in is going to be tough my recomendation is that you try to find work before you get here because our unemployment rate is pretty high for a smaller place. But again its not impossible whats your profession? Health care is a big profession here. As long as you do your research you will be fine where ever you choose good luck!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I'm wondering where Acadianlion is getting the figure of $27,000 per year as an average family income in Maine?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm wondering where Acadianlion is getting the figure of $27,000 per year as an average family income in Maine?
Damned if I know. I cannot find the source now, but then, this is a new computer that I had to install after the old one died of sudden and accidental electrical shock.

The State Planning Office cites a much higher figure, but that is seems to only come from employment data.

If I recall, the income figure that used was based on some study done that included ALL people in Maine regardless of employment or other demographic status.

Now, I can't find it, so make up your own figure that works. Whatever was good last year is probably less this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine