Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:57 AM

217 posts, read 800,011 times

Advertisements

I live in Bath so I am looking at the mid-coast area. Where is the best place to buy meat. I am looking for a Pork butt or shoulder...I also want it boneless so I need a place that has a meat counter that would do that for me. Any ideas??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 06:40 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,631 times
Shaws or Hannaford

Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
chimp go to bracketts in bath, or call the meat manager there, ask for the pork shoulder(boneless) and ask what he will sell it to you for.
bracketts is not a chain owned store and has price flexibilty, meaning, they often can give you a much better price,(a meat manager at shaws or hannaford, cant deviate from thier set retails) if you buy the whole shoulder, pork shoulders usually come in two pieces to a cryovac to the stores, ave around 7-9 lbs each, they are good for pulled pork, stock for sausage, southern style ribs, boston butt pork roast and pork blade steaks.(also a great roast for a crock pot) or if you have a smoker
you can also call bissons in topsham, ask them what they can do you for price.
the fresh meat market has increased quite a bit over the past 4 months.

now, if hannaford or shaws advertise as a loss leader, southern styles(pork ribs) or pork butt roasts, then ask to get that price for a whole shoulder.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM

217 posts, read 800,011 times
I am confused...I went to hannaford's and asked for a pork butt or shoulder and he pointed to something label "Boston roast". Is that the same thing? He did not really want to help me and it was too small. Is a pork butt called something else here??

Old 04-03-2007, 09:05 PM

yes, it is the same thing, cut from the pork shoulder-butt.
you can ask for the whole pork butt, and they should know what you mean.
the brunswick and topsham hannafords, im sure has them.

now, you have to use the terminology," pork-butt",,,which you probly did, why i say this, is ,,that hannaford sometimes, sell a "fresh arm picnic" which is different than a pork butt, but if you ask for a fresh shoulder they may point you to it.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
We buy at the comissary in Bangor. Their meat cutters are very good and very helpful.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,316 times
Shaw's and Hannaford does have good meat but the best I noticed is at the small local stores. Bow Street Market in Freeport is the best I can think of. I went to an IGA once too and got some delicious ribs.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 AM

unhappy, i believe bow str mkt is supplied by hannaford, one of thier (many)independent accounts. tho being an independent they can buy meat elsewhere than the hannaford warehouse,

but i agree with you, there are many smaller stores in the state that have the best quality of meats.

commisary meatcutters/managers are very lucky, they dont have to make a profit !

Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
... commisary meatcutters/managers are very lucky, they dont have to make a profit !
LOL

Well yes. After paying for all expenses: salaries and operating costs of running the business, then the commissary is legally required that they can only tack on an additional 5% to the prices, for corporate 'profits'.

Some things are cheaper, while some things are more expensive.

My DW works at the commissary, and still shops Hannaford for many items.

The commissaries on Active-duty AirForce bases are much cheaper. Only on AF bases: the AF pays for the building, the walk-ins, the warehouses, maintenance, heat and electricity. So rather than adding 30% onto the price to cover expenses, they can function with only that 5%.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM

let me ask the other viewers, where do you buy meat??? do you have a favorite place or butcher? or cut of meat????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine