Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 AM

25 posts, read 122,501 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning a trip to visit for a week in August and flying into Portland. We were thinking we would visit Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park and then of course, Portland. If anyone has any suggestions of stops along the way for the drive that would be fantastic but we are also looking for great places to stay in those areas that are beautiful but very moderately priced and affordable for August, like around $100 per night.

Any and all suggestions we are up for even if you just want to toss in a fun thing for us to do, THANK YOU! We are from New York City and have never visited the beautiful Maine before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 PM

502 posts, read 1,729,518 times
Drive route one from portland toward bar harbor. Stop in freeport and see llbeans and the outlet shops. Ried state and popham beach state parks - nice long sandy beaches ( personally I think much better than OOB ).

Rt 24 from brunswick to Bailey Island and lands end gift shop. There is a bridge made of granite about half way out - only one in US built that way.

Bath has the maine maritime museum -lots to see and do.

Rt 27 out to boothbay harbor. Lots of shops.

IN rockland, head out to Owls Head Transportation Museum. Check website before hand and see if something special is going on -often times they have fly-ins or special shows.

Bucksport - new suspension bridge with observation towers. Nice view. Also visit Fort Knox.

There are MANY little shops and antique stores along route 1. Perrys Nut house in ? don't remember. It has a big pink dinosaur outside the store.

Have a lobster roll. They are all good in the little shops along route 1.

Head inland and take in a race - oxford plains speedway, wiscasset speedway or beachridge speed in scarborough.

And much more inland - there are two locations that have nice displays/signs about being at the 45th parallel. Half way from equator to north pole. One is in Rangeley that I visit regularly. The other is near calais I think, but can't remember where.

Gray animal farm. Wounded wild animals from around state get rehibilitated and occasionally let go. Many are kept. Up close to many maine animals including black bear, moose, deer, turkeys and bald eagles.

Naples - near long lake and sebago lake - songo river queen is a paddle ship that travels the lakes and down through a lock system. It can be a nice evening ride.

Bridgton - Magic Lantern Movie theater. Newly rebuilt with antiques in lobby ( player piano ) and balcony seating. Fun place to see a movie.

And if you get to bridgton, continue out rt 302 to fryburg and rent a canoe and paddle a section of the saco river. Easy going, sandy beaches. VERY nice on a hot day, but can be busy on weekends.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,355 times
I would tell you that if you plan to go by Freeport check out the Desert of Maine. One of those "off the beaten path" places and very interesting. If you have kids they can search for "gems" that the elves and pixies put out at night. DW and I did it a ways back helping the kids find stones. Desert of Maine - Freeport, ME Maine's Natural Phenomenon ... only minutes from LL Bean

There are also several fairs going on oin August. Check them out if you enjoy agricultural fairs. Food & Farms - Visit - Maine Fairs (http://www.getrealmaine.com/visit/maine_fair_dates.shtml - broken link) Topsham, Skowhegan and Union fairs are all pretty good IMHO.

My sister and BIL took the train along the coast and enjoyed it. I believe this one is still running: Maine Eastern Railroad - Excursion Train Rail service to the towns of Brunswick, Bath, Wiscasset, BoothBay, Bootbay Harbor and Rockland Maine. Lobster train to the Lobsterfest, Maine coastal rail. Lighthouse, sailing, schooners, whale watch, lobster,

A place I like to stay at Acadia is a throw-back set of cabins and a motel just before you get to the park entrance. Colony Home Page (http://www.acadia.net/thecolony/index.html - broken link)

The biggest thing is, if you want to see Maine...get off the turnpike. Route 1 can be crowed but if you just lay back and relax it's not that bad and full of neat towns along the way. But you have to have the mindset of not being in a great rush to go see, do, and be somewhere instantly. There will be a lot of RVs and cars wanting to get to a destination and forgetting the journey. If that's not feasable then just get off 95 as often as possible.

Just remember to relax and enjoy the trip. Not many remember to do that. I hope you take home some good memories.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,708,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixisprite View Post
Hi,

We are planning a trip to visit for a week in August and flying into Portland. We were thinking we would visit Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park and then of course, Portland. If anyone has any suggestions of stops along the way for the drive that would be fantastic but we are also looking for great places to stay in those areas that are beautiful but very moderately priced and affordable for August, like around $100 per night.

Any and all suggestions we are up for even if you just want to toss in a fun thing for us to do, THANK YOU! We are from New York City and have never visited the beautiful Maine before
Wiscasset, Camden and Rockport.....just lovely towns...and along the way..

Carrie

Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,355 times
I forgot until I saw it on TV todoy but the Folk Festival is in Bangor in August, also. American Folk Festival | home Even if you don't want to walk around it you best beware of teh extra traffic on those dates in Bangor. It is nice to walk around and listen to all the music.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,420,913 times
My wife and I have driven through various parts of Maine several times over the last 10 years or so, and it was on one of the earliest trips that we found out how much we enjoy visiting lighthouses ... and Maine has plenty!

We also found that visiting lighthouses was a great way to keep us off the Turnpike, and allowed us to see many of the really pretty towns along the coast of Maine.

Here are our favorites from Portland to Mt. Desert Island:
Portland Head Light

Pemaquid Point Light

Marshall Point Light - appeared in Forrest Gump

Rockland Breakwater Light - sits at the end of a breakwater that's close to a mile long.

Owl's Head Light

Bass Harbor Head Light
Also, if you're planning to go down to Kennebunkport, and if you're interested in lighthouses, you may want to go a bit further south, to York.
Cape Neddick (or "Nubble") Light - probably one of the most photographed lighthouses anywhere.
Hope whatever you do, you have a wonderful trip!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,135,140 times
Drive through Wiscasset and maybe stop for a bite at Red's Eats (hopefully the line isn't too long!) Stop in lovely little Damariscotta (my home away from home) and do some shopping on main street. From Damariscotta, head down to Pemaquid Point to see the lighthouse and walk on the rocks -- don't miss it!

Further up the coast, you must drive up Mt. Battie just north of Camden. You have to pay a couple bucks, but it's well worth it for one of the most beautiful views in New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine