U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,487,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
NEVER, EVER rock an empty rocking chair! I believe it "invites the spirits to have a seat"?
I grew up with chairs rocking themselves... Was told it was great Uncle George -- who had disappeared years before I was born.

So maybe you are right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM

2,917 posts, read 3,098,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I grew up with chairs rocking themselves... Was told it was great Uncle George -- who had disappeared years before I was born.

So maybe you are right...
I've heard the rocking chair one. We had one here. DW said it was my mother come to visit. Made her feel warm to have Mum sit with her in the morning.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 PM

187 posts, read 228,654 times
My Grandma always used to say that a birth in the family led to a death!!
My mother in law will go postal if someone puts a hat on the table...she insists this is bad luck.
My mom had one about a picture falling over in a frame or off the wall, but I can't remember what that stood for. Maybe someone can help.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 PM

176 posts, read 307,150 times
Dont quote me but I think the picture one means that persons going to die I think thats what my mother said it was a long time ago so im not sure.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 AM

34,052 posts, read 11,033,186 times
Gram said not to eat ice cream for dessert after having steamed clams. I don't know what was supposed to happen but I think it was "poison".

She also remembered her elders warning her about going outside or climbing stairs after taking a bath. (They didnt take a full bath all that often back in those olden days.)

Only eat oysters in months with the letter "R". (I think that was it.)

If you, Sing before breakfast...you will..Cry before supper.

Take salt from your old house when you move to a new house.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 AM

98 posts, read 120,463 times
Here are a few more, though I don't remember what happens on a couple:
1. A black cat that passes before your path is supposed to bring bad luck!
2. Walking under a ladder is supposed to bring bad luck!
3. Of course we all remember, breaking a mirror brings 7 years of bad luck!
4. A friend of mine had a Slovakian grandma that said that on New Year's Eve to take a bowl and fill it with "silver" change and at the stroke of midnight, "wash" your hands with the change and it is supposed to bring you financial comfort through the new year.!!!
I am having a brain "freeze" right now and will try to "thaw" it out and remember more! I kind of like these... I always throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it...

Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 AM

7,712 posts, read 7,674,964 times
Ladybugs in the house mean good luck in love, and happiness.
It's bad luck to kill a ladybug.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 AM

34,052 posts, read 11,033,186 times
.....and if you kill a spider, it will bring rain.

if a bird flies into a window....it means someone in the house is going to die.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM

21,658 posts, read 27,591,498 times
None of my grandparents, nor parents held to any of those things. Nor were we taught any of them.

The tid-bits of wisdom My siblings and I were given:
"Dont trust anyone who has soft hands."

"Never put your money in a bank"

"Anyone who wears a suit and tie for 'work' is dishonest."

When visiting my grandparents it was always a procedure for them to feel your hands. If any of my siblings had soft hands, it was a disgrace, they would tell us it was okay, that they would pray for us and maybe we would turn out okay.

As career military when I visited home, it really upset them when my hands were not rough. They would tell me that they did not understand what I did in the military, but I had a good up-bringing, so I must not be doing anything too disgraceful.

[Both sets of my grandparents lost farms in the 1930s to bankers, and one set lost their next farm to county lawyers in the 1970s. So it effected how they viewed bankers and lawyers]

My Grandfather 'Young' was a first cousin to Harry Truman [they shared a common Grandfather Young]. That Great-great-grandfather of mine was known for telling everyone to: "attend the Baptist church, but if those Baptists ever came up the driveway, to run out quick and lockup the hen house." [Apparently Truman told that story a few times while in office, and it really tickled my Grandfather]

"Plant potatoes the year before you put hogs in a field, they will help you dig up the rocks."

"A hog a year and your mortgage will always be paid"

"Always plant enough corn. You need enough corn to supply the kitchen, livestock feed through the winter, and seed for next spring; dont use it all for the still"

"When a parent dies, run there quick to fetch whatever stuff you need to keep the farm going; before all the cousins show up to fight over everything. Cause relatives will remove everything, even what is nailed down."

"You can choose your friends, so choose well. You cant help what you got for relatives, your stuck with them. You need to have good friends to balance out for having relatives."

Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 PM

98 posts, read 120,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
.....and if you kill a spider, it will bring rain.

if a bird flies into a window....it means someone in the house is going to die.
O My Gosh,
I forgot that one! But so weird is that about 2-3 weeks ago, a cardinal kept crashing into my window, by my bedroom. I could about set my clock by him at 8:00am. Just 2 days ago, I had to put one of my beloved Shire mares down... Now I have the creeps, as we, (the vet & I), did it at around 8AM. Dunno if that counts, but it does to me...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine