U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,738,470 times

Advertisements

Congrats to all those gay couples in Maine wanting to get married!

Progress is being made! I know the road to getting it "official" won't be easy, but at least hearts and minds in the legislature are headed to the right place.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,602,855 times
Yes, I'm all for it too.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM

643 posts, read 1,289,812 times
Agreed, jjbradleynyc.

I particularly enjoyed Bill Nemitz' article in this morning's Portland Press Herald:

BILL NEMITZOverturning marriage bill has no value

To paraphrase just one of his gems: Civil unions are not the same as civil marriages which aren't the same as church marriages. Love it.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,563,956 times
Anyone ready to start the fight to legalize polygamy? Isnt' it a natural next step?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 PM

7,924 posts, read 15,984,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Anyone ready to start the fight to legalize polygamy? Isnt' it a natural next step?
I certainly don't plan on engaging in that type of relationship (couldn't imagine the headaches of having more than one wife!), but I wouldn't have a problem with it being recognized as a legal bond. It seems like a strange concept and one that's a little weird to me, but I don't see why my feelings towards it should have any effect on whether or not it should be legalized. I just hate the notion that people feel that they have a right to interfere with a marriage between consenting adults simply because that particular set of beliefs is different from their own.

Polygamy is a foreign and weird concept to me and one that I would never take part in; but who am I to tell someone that believes in that type of relationship that they shouldn't be allowed to marry?

Anyway, I'm glad this bill passed. I'm happy for everyone who's been fighting for this for a long time.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

898 posts, read 1,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Personally, I've thought that state-sanctioned marriage ought to be abolished anyway. Let people draw up their own contracts if they want to be together.

I don't agree with homosexual marriage, on religious grounds. And yes, if it goes to a vote, I will vote my beliefs. But as far as I'm concerned, to the state, there should be no such thing as marriage.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,006,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Personally, I've thought that state-sanctioned marriage ought to be abolished anyway. Let people draw up their own contracts if they want to be together.

I don't agree with homosexual marriage, on religious grounds. And yes, if it goes to a vote, I will vote my beliefs. But as far as I'm concerned, to the state, there should be no such thing as marriage.
I DO agree that gay folks need to have this right. I also have thought for years that marriage -- being something of both Church and State -- is not appropriate, and that is messes with and muddies the separation line.

I believe the tradition of government interference with the sacred rite was initially a way for the government to control people.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM

898 posts, read 1,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I DO agree that gay folks need to have this right. I also have thought for years that marriage -- being something of both Church and State -- is not appropriate, and that is messes with and muddies the separation line.

I believe the tradition of government interference with the sacred rite was initially a way for the government to control people.
I wonder if we could get a slogan going. Marriage is a rite, not a right. lol

I doubt we ever get the government out of the marriage business. Government, when it seizes control of something, anything, is very reluctant to give up that control

Old 05-07-2009, 04:18 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,008,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post

I don't see marriage as a right,it's not in the Bill of Rights that I know off (altho I'm wrong more than I like). It is though state sanctioned,IMHO, so the states can have more money. But gay marriage is state sanctioned here now (Isn't it?) and that is different than religious sanctioned as far as I know. If that makes it better to settle an estate, or set up insurances good for them. I think it would have been easier to cover more problem areas like that with a legal union but I am no expert. I imagine that there were a lot of people looking thre whole thing over. And I hope this is the best answer and not just a way to PO people on the other side of the issue. Something like this is too important I imagine to waste time just being spitefull. Bottom line I hope it works out well.

But; question; do common law get the same benefits? I don't know.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM

2,427 posts, read 5,483,773 times
Please visit this topic in Politics and Other Contoversies.
FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or