Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM

50 posts, read 182,310 times

Advertisements

can this be done without a permit?

Would it be reasonable to sail up to Maine for the summer season and sell fish/lobster that I caught out on my boat. Would I have to be licensed as a business if I make a certain amount? Who could I sell said fish to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
You would be a business and need the appropriate licenses and permits.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscans View Post
can this be done without a permit?

Would it be reasonable to sail up to Maine for the summer season and sell fish/lobster that I caught out on my boat. Would I have to be licensed as a business if I make a certain amount? Who could I sell said fish to?
I believe that you have to wait until you can get an apprentice permit (only a certain number issued every year) and work on another person's boat before you can get your own permit. Then, of course, you'd have to find a place to fish, and that could be a big problem.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Then, of course, you'd have to find a place to fish, and that could be a big problem.
go on.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscans View Post
go on.
Lobster fishing areas are territorial, so unless you are from the territory you might not be welcomed. Do a google search on Matinicus Island, you'll get the point.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM

what about other marine life; bass, cod, haddock, etc. Do the same rules/ettiquette apply?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,294 times
If you are going to fish to sell, you may want to look at the regulations and rules for commercial fishing. Simplest way would be to place a phone call to the Maine Fish and Game. They will steer your in the right directions.

And unless I am wrong, to lobster fish to sell, I do believe a license is required as well. As for encroaching on another person's lobster traps or "spots"....it would be the same as the old west days and the cattle ranchers...they shoot first and ask questions later.

You don't mention what you have for a boat. Are you out to catch a couple of fish and sell them? Are you going to be trawling? Are you planning on having big catches or just out fishing for the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine