Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:46 PM

176 posts, read 510,659 times

Advertisements

Hi I've noticed every spring/summer everyone gets these tiny lil flys I got them and there driveing me insane my house is spotless I've even went so far as to clean under the fridge and oven what can I do to get rid of these pests? They all stay in my kitchen but every once in awhile I will see a stray come into my bedroom or liveing room. What are they I heard some people call them fruit flys but I looked up fruit fly and it says there yellow with red eyes as far as I can see these things are black im also not examining them lol but they look black. Where do these things come from its like one day they just appear? Please help there driveing me crazy I know a bit dramatic they are just flys but im one of those really anal people about my house being clean OCD lol. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 PM

189 posts, read 301,495 times
They're probably fruit flies. Put a jar or bowl out on your kitchen counter and fill it with apple cider vinegar and a bit of dishwashing detergent. They'll drown themselves in this. You'll have to either let it sit a while or repeat the process a few times until they're gone. After you reach the point where you don't see them anymore, make sure you keep all fruit and fruit juice in the refrigerator. Don't let it sit in bowls on your table, or even allow a cup of fruit juice to sit out for a half hour. They can reappear in no time at all if you leave anything out to attract them.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
My MIL puts a small bowl (1/2 cup size?) of cider vinager with saran wrap over it. on the counter all the time. She pokes 2 or 3 holes in it with a toothpick. Works great.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Hi I've noticed every spring/summer everyone gets these tiny lil flys I got them and there driveing me insane my house is spotless I've even went so far as to clean under the fridge and oven what can I do to get rid of these pests? They all stay in my kitchen but every once in awhile I will see a stray come into my bedroom or liveing room. What are they I heard some people call them fruit flys but I looked up fruit fly and it says there yellow with red eyes as far as I can see these things are black im also not examining them lol but they look black. Where do these things come from its like one day they just appear? Please help there driveing me crazy I know a bit dramatic they are just flys but im one of those really anal people about my house being clean OCD lol. Thanks!!
Do you often buy bananas? I only have an issue with those miserable little buggers when I have bananas (sometimes tomato) on the counter.

I can't invite you to my house if you have OCD because we pride ourselves on challenging the immune system. Kidding! Well.....

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
The fruit flies?
Is that what we are talking about.
They love sweet sugar stuff.

Everything has to be washed down good,
and like tinbender said, that can work too.

But the apples and bananas seem to attract the
"little winged friends".
Last year...
My youngest had a juice spill. Well, you know kids clean up a little different then others might.
She used a dry "bath towel" and ta da... "Clean"~
dry equals clean- - right??
Nope
You've seen the movie
"The Birds" by Hitchcock?
Well it was like that.

I had to do the combo of bleach and water and wipe everything really well, not missing a crack.
Those "fly babies" just come out of no where and take over the kitchen.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM

176 posts, read 510,659 times
So they are fruit flys ok. Ya I do buy both bananas and apples lol just my luck right. where in the world do they come from I swear they just appear from nothing there the oddest little things. Im going to try that bowl thing see how that works. I wonder if my son spilt something and I have'nt found it yet im going to have to pull out the magnifying glass for this one lol. Thanks for your help!!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM

86 posts, read 238,925 times
Just use a vacuum cleaner, use the hose attackment and wave around where they are flying, wait 30-60min and repeat. In no time they will be all gone. I have done that before and it works well.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
mindy_bogue.....those tiny little flies are the sign of an immaculately clean house.....they have no immune system and can not tolerate dirt of any degree. If you have them....they are proof that your house is clean. I havent seen one in years. (Now don't you feel better.)

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Another suggestion: they might be drain flies, not fruit flies. Drain Flies are alot like fruit flies, only all black. Also, when you smash one on a wall, they leave a black smear; Fruit flies have harder bodies and don't leave a smear. (Gross comparison, but it works).

As you probably surmised, drain flies come from drains (where they lay eggs and hatch). Maybe one of your drains has them growing in it? Don't forget to check your toilets. That is how I found my drain fly infestation. The wax gasket on my toilet had broken down and drain flies were able to crawl in there in between where the toilet sits on the drain pipe and lay their eggs(I know, another yuk!). FYI, if this is where you drain flies are coming from, you'll need to re-fit a new wax gasket which means draining and pulling your toilet off of its drain. Good thing to bleach all drain traps just in case, too.

Also, check your plants, I've seen some flies (not fruit flies necessarily) growing in the potting soil in my plants off and on.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

Also, check your plants, I've seen some flies (not fruit flies necessarily) growing in the potting soil in my plants off and on.
Excellent point! I had put my plants outside one warm summer day last year, and they brought the little beasts back in with them. As I recall, I purchased some fly spray specifically for houseplant flies - it's sold at most department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine