U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
When I went to get my truck inspected, a 2007, hubby said watch and see what they check for so that he would know what to make sure was working on his truck, a 1959. But that doesn't fly in Maine. They told me that the inspections for older vehicles like his are different than for newer ones like mine.
As for repair costs, my daughter kept procrastinating about buying a new van, and I was worried about her driving around in her old one with my grandkids in it. Finally, I convinced her. She did the math and found what I was telling her was true. The cost of making payments on a new vehicle, plus insurance, etc., can be cheaper than paying for repairs and maintenance to keep an older vehicle running.
Many Mainers have found just the opposite to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM

21,319 posts, read 26,126,562 times
We have found [prior to moving to Maine] that buying a $500 car, taking it into a reliable mechanic for a complete inspection and spending $500 on it, is often a 'good' deal. Then each year scheduling a annual inspection of the car and being willing to spend another $500 each year, on whatever the mechanic things is wearing out. Has done us well in terms of having a reliable and economic vehicle.

No monthly payments, and a fairly low annual budget. But you can not wait for something to break, you have to force yourself to take it in when it seems okay.

Now in Maine, we see that vehicles rust out quickly. So this throws a monkey wrench into the process.

I have never seen brakes lines rust through on a car before, but it is common in Maine.

I think that flying down to Georgia or Tennessee and buying a 20 year old car that has never seen a salted road would be a good idea. $500 and she is yours, drive it back here, and give it to a mechanic for a complete going over. Then you have the next 10 years to drive it as the road salts slowly dissolve your car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine