U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,626,505 times

Advertisements

what is it like in maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 AM

2,349 posts, read 3,518,235 times
I am assuming you’re asking about the African American Culture in Maine?

I lived in the south where there is an obvious larger population of African Americans and I can say that living there there was an open I’m White....he's black kind of attitude which goes both ways...good bad however any particular person felt about it, it was like. We’re all here together and its never going to change. This is how it is. So I felt there was an openness and acceptance to what we all had in common and our cultural differences too.. being around a larger population of African Americans gave me an opportunity to meet people who I share common interests with...and some of the best friends I had were black

In Maine there is an extremely small percentage of African Americans and I do not think people here who have not at least travelled do not understand this. There is a huge liberal ideology that says we must accept everyone as equal but yet we're not allowed to recognize cultural differences because that would somehow be racist. So even though Mainer's are extremely acceptant of different cultures and I think any black family that was moving to Maine or maybe an interracial couple that was moving here could feel safe and happy with their choice. They might actually feel more alone or that there is more of a divide.

So that’s been my experience, I imagine it’s all subjective too. But keep in mind that Maine is changing. The Demographics of Maine is changing. I want to say that the 2000 census for our larger cities had like a 1% black population. I would almost bet that it has changed to 8-12% in the last decade.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM

flycessna...What part of the south are you from?...I live in atlanta where the black population is huge.

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to maine...we just want to make sure we are moving to a friendly area where race is not a issue.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 AM

6,301 posts, read 8,152,991 times
Maine is the whitest state. However, Maine is virtually color blind. Portland has had a black population since the Civil War days. There is a black church that has been there since then. The mayor of Waterville is black with a 99% white population. He does a great job.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM

wow! a black church still there since the civil war? I would love to visit that church

Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM

3,518 posts, read 3,504,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine is the whitest state. However, Maine is virtually color blind. Portland has had a black population since the Civil War days. There is a black church that has been there since then. The mayor of Waterville is black with a 99% white population. He does a great job.

Good point. We have our fair share of "yahoos" like everywhere else but IMHO, it's still the "content of character" that matters most to most people I know anyway.

I recall years ago at a college commencement speech a local black leader made the following comment (I'm paraphrasing here):

"When I came to Maine, it was not the fact that I was black that concerned most Mainers, it was the fact that I was....wait for it.....FROM AWAY."

Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 28 days ago)

31,879 posts, read 37,849,021 times
There are organizations in cities around the state too. For instance, a "yahoo" was giving people at the Bangor NAACP problems, but the community rallied around the organization in terms of support. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/us/28bangor.html

Here's a good site to check out: Maine Visible Black History

and more: Portsmouth Herald Maine News: Kittery home has black history roots

2006-2007 News Releases (http://www.usm.maine.edu/mcr/news/0607releases/blackhistory.htm - broken link)

Also, keep in mind that some of the Black people there descend from people from Canadian provinces like New Brunswick and Nova Scotia too. Blacks have been in those provinces since the Revolutionary War, by way of Southern and Northern states like SC, VA, MD, NY and MA, as well as the Caribbean.

Cities like Portland, Lewiston, Auburn, Waterville, Bangor and even some of the far north towns like Presque Isle have small, but noticable Black communities. Portland and Lewiston are the biggest though.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-24-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 PM

7,713 posts, read 7,881,750 times
This topic comes up from time to time. If you do a search there are a few old threads about it. There isn't much in the way of "African American Culture" north of Bangor. There are people of differant ethnicities, though to a lesser degree than in more densely populated areas.
NMLM is right,
Quote:
Maine is virtually color blind

Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 8,152,991 times
One thing that did not occur to me earlier is that Lewiston/Auburn has a large and growing Somali population. These people came from Somalia to Georgioa thinking they would be welcomed with open arms. That was not the case. They came to Maine and are happy here. Their arrival has been good for the goat business.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM

27,542 posts, read 22,892,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
One thing that did not occur to me earlier is that Lewiston/Auburn has a large and growing Somali population. These people came from Somalia to Georgioa thinking they would be welcomed with open arms. That was not the case. They came to Maine and are happy here. Their arrival has been good for the goat business.
I remember that. It was in USA Today. Former mayor Laurier T. Raymond let the Somali immigrants know in his own "vocally inplicit" way that he would rather the Somali immigrants not settle in Lewiston. After that, many people lead a protest against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine