Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 PM

29 posts, read 144,856 times

Advertisements

Hello I am 30 yr old young man looking to get out of the hustle and fast pace of the city. I am looking to move upstate NY, Maine, Vt, or even NH. I really love the adirondacks area and New England areas, but I dont believe there are enough jobs there. I am an entrepreneur owning a few businesses. I currently own an indoor skatepark, skateboard company, skateboard hardware company, and skateboard bearing company. I would love to continue what I am doing now. If you know of a place that has alot of children that skateboard/rollerblade/bike and are in need of an indoor skatepark facility, please let me know. I would also be looking for an affordable warehouse, house, and possible rental units to rent. I may be interested in buying a bar/restaurant because the NORTH needs great Pizza!!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-24-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: do not post your e maill addy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
From the local newspaper skateboards have really been discouraged around here. I suspect there are many kids who would like to, but they have no place, and the local cops get bored so none is allowed in town.

If you build, they will come.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
From the local newspaper skateboards have really been discouraged around here. I suspect there are many kids who would like to, but they have no place, and the local cops get bored so none is allowed in town.

If you build, they will come.
Where exactly is Argyle, Maine? I checked in the Maine Data and they said no town existed with that name. Is it Brigadoon?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Argyle is on the east side of Alton on the Penobscot River.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1 View Post
Hello I am 30 yr old young man looking to get out of the hustle and fast pace of the city. I am looking to move upstate NY, Maine, Vt, or even NH. I really love the adirondacks area and New England areas, but I dont believe there are enough jobs there. I am an entrepreneur owning a few businesses. I currently own an indoor skatepark, skateboard company, skateboard hardware company, and skateboard bearing company. I would love to continue what I am doing now. If you know of a place that has alot of children that skateboard/rollerblade/bike and are in need of an indoor skatepark facility, please let me know. I would also be looking for an affordable warehouse, house, and possible rental units to rent. I may be interested in buying a bar/restaurant because the NORTH needs great Pizza!!!
Everything that you are involved in requries a considerable population density.
And it also sound like you know very little about Maine in particular.

Everything you do requires the "fast pace" of city life. At your age and doing what you do, you should luxuriate in the "action" of the urban culture.

If you try to transfer what you do to a state like Maine, I think your boredom will be beaten out only by your hunger.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias
Where exactly is Argyle, Maine? I checked in the Maine Data and they said no town existed with that name. Is it Brigadoon?
Forgive me, I live in Argyle which borders Old Town.

Old Town produces a weekly newspaper and has a PD, FD, and their schools service many surrounding towns. I was speaking of Old Town.

Argyle is North of Old Town, East of Alton, West of Greenbush, and South of Edinburg.

If you are looking at the City-Data database of towns it is not listed there. The majority of townships in Maineare not listed there either.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Forgive me, I live in Argyle which borders Old Town.

Which reminds me to say that the Old Town Y has a sizable indoor skateboard park. The membership is fairly inexpensive too.

Elsewhere, I'm not sure there are any skateboard parks other than the one in Bangor (it's outdoors). Admittedly, I have no clue about that further north.

I recall that Glenburn tried to build one (had the ramps donated) but between the nitpicking about liability, and supervision (or lack there of) and the dwindling interest from the kids/families who tried to start it (they all grew up and moved on) it was turned into a basketball court I believe. Bangor never seemed to have those issues, but laws may be one thing you also want to take a look at.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop
Which reminds me to say that the Old Town Y has a sizable indoor skateboard park. The membership is fairly inexpensive too.
That is good.

I have read a few times in the Penobscot Times "Police Journal" entries about responding to kids skateboarding on the sidewalks.

So it appeared that they had no where else to skateboard.

Or perhaps is it the membership fee?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
That is good.

I have read a few times in the Penobscot Times "Police Journal" entries about responding to kids skateboarding on the sidewalks.

So it appeared that they had no where else to skateboard.

Or perhaps is it the membership fee?
Oh you're right about there not being many places to skateboard, and there are many kids that use parking lots and roads - as I recall the park in Glenburn was started following the death of one of the classmates who was hit by a car on a road and died.

It's quite possible that there are many kids who don't have the funds needed to have a membership or that they can't get a ride there etc.

I know the place always seemed to be packed when we went there last year, so maybe there is call for it within the Greater Bangor Area, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
I don't know how Logistically an Indoor skate park would work here in Maine. The idea of an Indoor park sound awesome because of our long winters.. But you would need to be near a large population for the numbers to work and then you would be dealing with higher costs for realestate and taxes....not to mention heating the dang place.. Maine is a poor state and iam not sure if the numbers would work after those expenses.... And there have been some excellent outdoor skating parks you would compete with in the summer....

Around me there are some comic book store type skate shops.. the seem to open and go under often... but I still think done right that could work... you got snow boarding in the winter..skate boarding in the summmer... and why not add paint ball and air soft while your at it..... hhhhhmmm makes me think....

But if that doesn't work........ a NY pizza Sub shop..............i am all for that baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: