U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 AM

2,899 posts, read 3,043,192 times
I used to make the trip up from McGuire after midnight. Kids would sleep and Hartford was a breeze. Very little traffic on NJT nad GSP. Made for good trips home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:47 AM

4,032 posts, read 3,107,726 times
I just came up 95 from Virginia - sitting in a hotel room in Mass right now, getting ready to head up to see my sister in Vermont later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
This time I'm thinking about staying on 95 all the way back through to New Haven, getting on I91 and taking that back to 84. Then obviously 84 back to 90 to 495 to 95.

Anyone have any input? How is 95 going through NYC? Newark and Jersey City?
Timing is everything. I've taken 95 through NYC during the day, and it's ok - not great, and in spots it can be pretty bumpy, but ok. Not sure if there would be construction at night or not, and rush hour(s) should be avoided if at all possible.

Going 95 is shorter in mileage than going via the Tappan Zee, but whether it's shorter in time depends on when you're going through/around NYC.

I have been on 95 from Florida to Maine (never all in one trip, tho). And to me, the very worst part of the trip is around DC. We live south of DC, and I plan each trip - leaving and returning - around the time of day I expect to hit DC.

Rush hour is absolutely crazy, and it starts EARLY both morning and afternoon. I worked in DC for 34 years, and I commuted on 95 every day. And I would see people sitting in cars with out-of-states plates, looking at lanes and lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic at 5:30 in the morning ... seemingly in the middle of nowhere, 30 miles south of DC, with bewildered looks on their faces. I just felt so sorry for them.

To come up to N.E. this time, I left my house at 4:45AM, and had no problems straight through to Mass. On the return trip, I'm staying overnight in Conn., and getting an early start (by 5:30 or so) for the last leg home. I'll probably go the Tappan Zee on the way back, and the Garden State Parkway in NJ (it will be a pain, but not too bad). The important thing for me is that I'll get south of DC before 2:00.

You're leaving on a Tuesday, and that's a great decision - avoiding Mondays, Fridays, and the weekend.

I hope you have a pleasant and safe trip!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,432,281 times
We don't get near 95 on the way to Maine from Florida. We take 95 only to 26 which takes us to Columbia SC. Then 77 to Charlotte, and then hit 81 all the way to Scranton. Then 84 to 495 then back to 95 as we hit the Maine state line. It is a beautiful drive. Traffic is moderate, but moves at a good speed. You hit all the mountains on the way up, taking the valley between them. It takes us 29 hours to make it to Eastport, which is on the Canadian border. We have friends that drive every year up, and they advised us to stay off 95. I did note this year there was a bit more construction, but traffic wasn't heavy enough to get clogged. People tell me this route is about 100 miles longer than 95, but worth driving the extra 100 miles. I have driven 95 before and my hands are sore from gripping the steering wheel so hard for so long.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:06 AM

277 posts, read 519,402 times
What are the tolls like doing 77 to 81 to 84?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 AM

If I remember correctly....no tolls on 95, 26,77 or 81 or 84....just when you hit NH and ME the standard tolls...nickel and dime you to death, plus the tolls went up....some are now $1.... I take that back, there may have been one crossing into NY state, but it wasn't a biggie.

What is so nice, with the exception of Hartfor Ct. you really don't go through any of the big NE corridor cities. Columbia SC, is a small town, Charlotte is not an issue, no real towns in VA, or PA, except you come into Scranton and right out. You stay about 40 miles west of DC, about 60 miles north of NYC, and about 40 miles out of Boston. A friend of mine who has been summering in ME for years told me to absolutely avoid 95. I guess he ought to know. I drove 95 to ME about 25 years ago, and traffic was heavy then. I can only imagine what it is now...

I don't know where you are in FL...but from Jacksonville, we can make it to Scranton in a long day. There isn't much on 84, so if you want to stop, I suggest Scranton, or a bit before Scranton. We got a late start on the last trip, and it was 1am before we found a motel to stop at on 84.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM

6,377 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Toll is $1 on the I-84 bridge in Newburgh, NY, tolls on the Mass Tpk, $1 in NH on I-95, tolls on I-95 in ME went up this year.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 AM

I don't remember one on the Mass turnpike....oh well....having alzheimers isn't so bad, you meet so many new people every day!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 PM

277 posts, read 519,402 times
I'm down in Sarasota. When we drove down we ended up stopping in Fredericksburg to sleep for the day. I'm definitely thinking I'm going to do 81 back.

I didn't have any real trouble coming down, we drove mostly at night so I never really hit any traffic. My only problem was the construction...and when I'm headed home I might not be able to time it so well.

After I got off the Jersey Pike onto 95 it was a pretty damn boring ride I know that. Maryland and DC were dead when I went through, of course I went through early. Traffic was starting to pick up when I hit DC...if I remember right I went through between 4 and 6.

I'm definitely thinking 81 home would be pretty easy, I might be able to let the lady of the car drive haha. I'm a very up tight passenger. I couldn't relax enough on the way down to let her drive. Even after we got past all the heavy traffic areas haha.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
RHB

1,066 posts, read 1,181,041 times
I just made the trip from MD to Maine. I did 81 to 84, to the mass pike, to 95. It was a very nice, peaceful drive. The worse part was from the NY line through Hartford.

I did the 95 though NY and NJ, it was horrible (I was in off peak hours) the roads were bad, construction, poor signage. I will not do that again.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM

6,093 posts, read 7,675,121 times
I think Maine4.us has the best advice. We run down to southwest Virginia and that's the route we take. We are usually pulling a trailer and there are few tolls.

Much of I-95 is just plain unsafe. If you blow a tire you are in real trouble. Predators can steal everything you have and you'll be lucky to come out of it alive. If you shoot one of them you'll be in trouble for years. It just isn't worth the risk and hassle.

retiredtinbender, I used to make that run from Lakehurst which is right beside McGuire, but that was back from 1963 to 1966. It was a different country and much safer back then. Route 17 in NJ was one bloody mess every Friday night.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 06-27-2009 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine