U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,824,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well You're interpretation is totally WRONG!
Evidently you've never been to Harpswell, Boothbay, Orrs and Bailey's Islands, Wiscassett,South Freeport,Yarmouth, Falmouth, Cape Elizabeth, and a hundred other towns along the coast! I like the inland areas too but Maine is the coast.
Interesting, I got a summer home in Martinsville (Port Clyde), another house in Tennats Harbor and a house lot in Waldoboro and another relative has a nice house in Southport. I have no interest in them whatsoever though. My ex-wife was from Bremen and her parents have a house on Criehaven Island which they lobster out of, but I still stand by my original statement...head north and you can get away from the traffic and tourist traps and see what Maine is really about...the people that have had it tough for so many years that it has ingrained integrity into them.

You can't buy class I know...but you can't buy integrity either. Funny how that works.

Last edited by BrokenTap; 07-12-2009 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling Mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:41 AM

36,449 posts, read 16,203,927 times
tscrilla.....It sounds as if you had a wonderful trip and I am so glad you appreciated the beauty that you saw all around you. I agree...the area you drove is gorgeous...breath taking. For the life of me I dont understand what happens to make some people need to "put down" other regions of the state or someone else's experience. Southern Maine is beautiful (and NH isnt ugly or bad by any stretch of the imagination).

I have to think that when God made Maine he didnt divide up his best work for above Augusta--but liberally sprinkled the state with lakes and coastal coves and pine trees and created settings for many quaint and charming villages. There really is enough beauty for everyone. It doesnt make my home town....which is a jewel...any better to put down someone elses town or region.

Come back soon and enjoy!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,442,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maine, is like a good woman, it has natural beauty, and you never stop appreciating the little things so much, that you don't want to leave.

Excelent analogy. Definately puts it in perspective.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,128,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have to think that when God made Maine he didnt divide up his best work for above Augusta--but liberally sprinkled the state with lakes and coastal coves and pine trees and created settings for many quaint and charming villages. There really is enough beauty for everyone. It doesnt make my home town....which is a jewel...any better to put down someone elses town or region.

Very nicely said. Thank you.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM

186 posts, read 465,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
tscrilla.....It sounds as if you had a wonderful trip and I am so glad you appreciated the beauty that you saw all around you. I agree...the area you drove is gorgeous...breath taking. Southern Maine is beautiful (and NH isnt ugly or bad by any stretch of the imagination).

Here it is a week of being home from Maine and I'm still thinking how great it was. One cannot live a life without having paid a sufficient visit. I've attached a few photos. Hope you enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Maine = Wow!!!-boat-cape-porpoise-me-july-2009.jpg   Maine = Wow!!!-mariginal-way-ogunquit-me-july-2009.jpg   Maine = Wow!!!-maine-2009-255.jpg  

Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM

8,760 posts, read 15,020,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maine, is like a good woman, it has natural beauty, and you never stop appreciating the little things so much, that you don't want to leave.
Maine to wannabee Mainers is like a like a half gallon of Allen's Coffee Brandy and a gallon of milk. I looks,sounds, and tastes good when you first get into it but after you've finished off the milk the rest goes down a little harder! Finally you wake up in the cold winter,broke, with a pounding head, a bitter taste in your mouth and wonder why you did it in the first place!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:24 PM

26,966 posts, read 41,826,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah
Well You're interpretation is totally WRONG! Evidently you've never been to Harpswell, Boothbay, Orrs and Bailey's Islands, Wiscassett, South Freeport, Yarmouth, Falmouth, Cape Elizabeth, and a hundred other towns along the coast! I like the inland areas too but Maine is the coast.
I agree with BrokenTap.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
The sea is often compared to a female. Having been a career sailor, I hold an affinity to those metaphors of females and the sea.

When comparing anything to a female. One must not forget the deadly calm doldrums which can still capsize you with a rogue wave when you least expect it. Or in a moment her quick temper can become a raging gale.

Never allow female charm to cause you to let down your guard, lest you be left shipwrecked.

On the other hand, Maine is very nice, all of the time. Not like a woman at all.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM

5,826 posts, read 7,880,418 times
If you think the southern part has the wow factor, wait til you see the northern part.

Um, forest beekeeper, I resemble your remarks.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT
If you think the southern part has the wow factor, wait til you see the northern part.

Um, forest beekeeper, I resemble your remarks.
Yes. I am sure that you do.

Northern Maine is very beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine