Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,581,935 times

Advertisements

I have heard a number of reasons to explain the record low price of lobster this summer. Perhaps there is a base reason I have not heard of to explain the present glut. According to the inflation calculator the present price of around $3.00 a pound is the equivalent of $.75 cents a pound in 1975 dollars. This was the low average price that I remember back in high school 34 years ago!!! These are extremely low prices folks!
Some of the reasons for the low prices I have heard include:

There are simply alot of lobsters around this year! I have heard people with 5 trap licenses are getting 12 keepers per haul....That is unheard of! I used to get an average of eight keepers with the 25 traps I used to haul. There has been some talk that the last few summers have been cooler making the ocean cooler overall which seems to be good for lobster reproduction.

The Canadian market has dried up.
That was the excuse last fall when the price dropped. Is this still the case?

There are just too many fishermen.
The State regulates the number of commercial lobstermen very closely. The apprentice program has made it more difficult to get into the business. No longer can someone just buy a boat, buy some traps,buy some bait, and call yourself a lobsterman/lobsterwoman?.

Tourist traffic is way down so consumption is down.
I don't know how much this affects the overall industry though I suppose everything adds up.

What have you heard out there??
Are you eating your share???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,697,010 times
I can understand prices being driven down but I really find it hard to comprehend how they are staying so low??

I am realy not in the loop but I think it could be a combination of all the above...However with Lobster's running as cheap as a hamburger then I guess the economy wouldn't explain it all.

My in laws had a lobster bake the other day and my father in law bought his lobster of the boat from a friend for $2.75 a pound... 25cents more then what the guy gets selling ?wholesale?

I dont see how anyone can make a living at these prices which brings me to my next question or thought.... just like my father in laws friend... are there a lot of these part time lobstermen who have full time jobs aside and are doing it for maybe a little extra money, to get some lobsters for them selves and friends, and for the joy of being out there... if so i could see why could see then how prices might stay down... that really hurts the the guys that trying to make a living out of it.

$2.50... geeze.. how many lobsters a day would you need just to take home a 100 bucks

Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I can understand prices being driven down but I really find it hard to comprehend how they are staying so low??

I am realy not in the loop but I think it could be a combination of all the above...However with Lobster's running as cheap as a hamburger then I guess the economy wouldn't explain it all.

My in laws had a lobster bake the other day and my father in law bought his lobster of the boat from a friend for $2.75 a pound... 25cents more then what the guy gets selling ?wholesale?

I dont see how anyone can make a living at these prices which brings me to my next question or thought.... just like my father in laws friend... are there a lot of these part time lobstermen who have full time jobs aside and are doing it for maybe a little extra money, to get some lobsters for them selves and friends, and for the joy of being out there... if so i could see why could see then how prices might stay down... that really hurts the the guys that trying to make a living out of it.

$2.50... geeze.. how many lobsters a day would you need just to take home a 100 bucks
Part time guys who hold commercial licenses still have to have a minimum number of traps...Mermaid will know the minimum. If they are selling them using a 5 trap license it's illegal. They are supposed to be for personal consumption only. I know 5 trap guys are selling them as my buddy bought some from a guy last week. He said he was catching far more than he could use this year so perhaps the recreational lobsterman are having a little bit of an affect. They are supposed to keep only what they can use but who is going to track them down??

Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,559,750 times
Crappy economy and rain this years has depressed the tourist traffic immensely. $4.99 a pound up here, inland. None of the businesses, including the seafood restaurant next door, are having a banner season. I think that explains a lot!

A friend is bringing up a bushel of quahogs and a mess of Ipswich steamers this weekend. I might even get some lobster to go with the clam boil... stuffed quahogs, little necks, chorico, chicken, sweet potato and corn.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Crappy economy and rain this years has depressed the tourist traffic immensely. $4.99 a pound up here, inland. None of the businesses, including the seafood restaurant next door, are having a banner season. I think that explains a lot!

A friend is bringing up a bushel of quahogs and a mess of Ipswich steamers this weekend. I might even get some lobster to go with the clam boil... stuffed quahogs, little necks, chorico, chicken, sweet potato and corn.
Well I'll have you know that some of our friends are headed to Greenville this weekend. They don't care what the weather is. My wife and I have decided to head up that way for a few days the 3rd week of August. It ain't much but every little bit helps!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:07 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,538,158 times
i know here in atlanta they were selling just the tails for 12.99 per tail...i went to the store today and they were on sale for 4.99 per tail

Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i know here in atlanta they were selling just the tails for 12.99 per tail...i went to the store today and they were on sale for 4.99 per tail
So you picked up how many pounds???

Old 07-31-2009, 04:34 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,420,919 times
On Cape Cod they're selling for $11.99 a pound. I got a deal ONE time at Stop and Shop for $6.99 a pound.

I saw a guy in Steuben on Pigeon Hill Road a few days ago selling them for $3.25 a pound.

Up the top of the hill here at Papa J's, they have lobster dinners for anywhere from $24.99 to $42.00; depending on the size lobstah you pick.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:40 PM

12,631 posts, read 21,784,537 times
I picked some up in New Bedford MA for about $3.50/lb with some nice sea scallops for $7.99/lb. grocery stores are charging (and getting more).

It's dirt cheap here too, though Boston is obviously marked up in spots.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,482,370 times
Just wait. I will be in Maine in one week and will probably personally eat enough lobsters to raise the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine