U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 5,300,771 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am in the midst of a 30 day motorcycle tour of the New England states. I've spent several days in the Brunswick area and now I'm in Bar Harbor. Tomorrow I head to Camden until Saturday. When I leave there I'll slowly start making my way south before heading into Mass or New York somewhere, Any thoughts on where I could visit to get some good riding in while still in Maine? I'll probably leave the coastal area and probably won't want to go any further than Camden once I leave Camden.

any thoughts? I am staying in hotels as I travel.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,717,588 times
Head west through Fryeburg into the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Best riding spot in New England over there. Pick the Kancamangus Highway as it winds through The White Mountain National Forest. The roads are excellent (once you get out of Maine),wide and winding and freshly paved. Beautiful scenery, mountain flumes, rocky out croppings, passes, slides, lakes, crystal clear rivers and streams, covered bridges. Plenty of places to stop and take in the scenery. Ride your bike to the top of Mt Washington (highest mountain in New England 6,200 ft.) on the auto road. Or check out the east's only mountain climbing steam powered railroad The Cog Railway. Lots of motels along the way. It is gorgeous over there and is a biker's dream. You'll see more bikes than cars!

Last edited by Maineah; 08-19-2009 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,227,153 times
Excellent suggestion, Mainah. Kangamangus is a fantastic ride.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM

6,313 posts, read 8,177,848 times
I agree with all of the above. The best way to get to Fryeburg though is to go across Route 2 all the way to Route 5 and then down to Fryeburg. That's a pretty ride. When you get through the Kankamagus Highway to Lincoln, NH, go up through Crawford Notch to Route 2 again. Take it across into Vermont. Then run all of Vermont Route 100 from north to south. It is the very best ride in the whole world.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks all. I knew you'd respond Maineah. :-) I should have mentioned that I've done NH and VT. Was looking for more suggestions in Maine. The raod surface is in not too good shape right now and a lot of riders are staying away. I did it but wasn't impressed due to the road conditions. of course the sky opening up as soon as I hit the highest point on the Kanc didn't help any.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,717,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Thanks all. I knew you'd respond Maineah. :-) I should have mentioned that I've done NH and VT. Was looking for more suggestions in Maine. The raod surface is in not too good shape right now and a lot of riders are staying away. I did it but wasn't impressed due to the road conditions. of course the sky opening up as soon as I hit the highest point on the Kanc didn't help any.
That's too bad as we just drove through on 302 from Vermont and the whole thing was fresh pavement on that road.
If you want to see more of Maine head toward Greenville. Moosehead Lake is a breathtaking place. Every bit as nice as the White Mountains. Take a ride up the west side of Moosehead between Greenville Junction and Rockwood for some great views of the lake and perhaps a moose or two. Then you can roll on to Jackman and take 201 back down to Waterville and pick up I-95 again. It's a good day or two easily.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM

6,313 posts, read 8,177,848 times
If you go as far as Rockwood and you are riding something like the BMW Dakar, continue north to the Pittston Farm. It is about 25 miles of dirt road. If you are riding a Harley or Gold Wing "faggedaboudit".

Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,239,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hi all,

I am in the midst of a 30 day motorcycle tour of the New England states. I've spent several days in the Brunswick area and now I'm in Bar Harbor. Tomorrow I head to Camden until Saturday. When I leave there I'll slowly start making my way south before heading into Mass or New York somewhere, Any thoughts on where I could visit to get some good riding in while still in Maine? I'll probably leave the coastal area and probably won't want to go any further than Camden once I leave Camden.

any thoughts? I am staying in hotels as I travel.

Thanks
So when does your trip end?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:10 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,214,105 times
If you missed the Rangeley Lakes area - you missed some of the most beautiful sites in the western Mountains.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
So when does your trip end?

End of August. I'm in NH now getting ready to head back into VT. This time I'll go north and hit 100 for the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine