U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 AM

162 posts, read 241,080 times

Advertisements

BrokenTap, do you have a source where I can read about DirecTV and Dish Network being owned by the same company? I know they've talked about merging on and off since 2001 and the rumors got pretty hot last year, but I haven't been able to find anything that says that has happened.

The most recent news story I found was from May and it said, at the start: "For the ninth straight year DIRECTV, the nation's No.1 satellite television service, has once again scored higher for customer satisfaction than all major cable TV companies, in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). DIRECTV's score also soared even further past Dish Network this year by seven points, making it the only satellite company to outrank all cable companies surveyed." If anybody wants to read the whole article, it's at: DIRECTV: DIRECTV Further Distances Itself From Cable and Dish Network in 2009 American Customer Satisfaction

One thing I didn't say before... A lot of people have no problems with snow on the dish, but we have occasionally lost the signal if there's a lot of heavy, wet snow. It's extremely difficult for us to access the dish to brush it off. I've wished we'd sited the dish in some of the other available spots where we could reach it better. If I were doing it again, siting the dish in an accessible spot is something I'd pay attention to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,066,988 times
For all of you Dish folks, what do you do for internet access?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM

5,669 posts, read 7,781,364 times
Wireless.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 AM

420 posts, read 659,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolwiTch View Post
BrokenTap, do you have a source where I can read about DirecTV and Dish Network being owned by the same company? I know they've talked about merging on and off since 2001 and the rumors got pretty hot last year, but I haven't been able to find anything that says that has happened.

The most recent news story I found was from May and it said, at the start: "For the ninth straight year DIRECTV, the nation's No.1 satellite television service, has once again scored higher for customer satisfaction than all major cable TV companies, in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). DIRECTV's score also soared even further past Dish Network this year by seven points, making it the only satellite company to outrank all cable companies surveyed." If anybody wants to read the whole article, it's at: DIRECTV: DIRECTV Further Distances Itself From Cable and Dish Network in 2009 American Customer Satisfaction

One thing I didn't say before... A lot of people have no problems with snow on the dish, but we have occasionally lost the signal if there's a lot of heavy, wet snow. It's extremely difficult for us to access the dish to brush it off. I've wished we'd sited the dish in some of the other available spots where we could reach it better. If I were doing it again, siting the dish in an accessible spot is something I'd pay attention to.
Just the other morning one of the guys on our local radio station was telling about how last winter he would climb a tree next to his house to access the dish to brush the snow off and somehow he got stranded in the tree and needed help and luckily had his cell phone and had to call his wife in the house to come out and help him.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,066,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Wireless.
from who?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 AM

5,669 posts, read 7,781,364 times
Pioneer Broadband in Houlton. I've been using it for four years. It doesn't do well in heavy fog but nothing else bothers it.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,090,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

DSL with Fairpoint. Here, we don't have a choice. DSL or dial up.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM

162 posts, read 241,080 times
broadbill, right now we are getting internet through Suscom cable. That's only available in a fairly small part of the southern midcoast. We are planning to switch over at some point to GWI (GWI: Phone and Internet service for your Maine home or business: phone plans, the fastest broadband in Maine, phone and Internet combo plans, website hosting, server co-location, residential phone plans, business phone plans…) because people say really good things about them.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:44 AM

293 posts, read 447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I use DSL from Fairpoint and it works well enough.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 AM

85 posts, read 114,111 times
Dish for 13 years with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine