Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,316 times

Advertisements

I have been adopt by a turkey.

Last winter we had a large flock of turkeys show up in the front yard every day, or nearly every day. We threw scratch feed out for them to forage, and it was great fun seeing them and photographing all 35 or so of them.

Later in the spring they all disappeared, until one day a single tom appeared in the front yard. We threw out some feed for him, and ever since then he appears every morning and hangs around all day long. I go out in the early morning and "chat" with him. His name is Terrence.

The cats ignore him and he ignores them. I also throw out the old day old cat food, and Purina, our personal sea gull always comes in for breakfast, along with a half dozen neighborhood crows. My wife keeps all the bird feeders full, so we have a lot of birds around.

About a month and a half ago, when I went out to get in my truck to leave, Terrence was in the driveway. As soon as I got into the truck he started to squawk and yell, and when I started the engine, he began to yell in great ferocious yawks and flaps his wings.

When I started out the driveway, he flaped his wings, yelled, and ran pell mell up the driveway after the truck. He rab all the way to the dirt road that the driveway runs onto and then stoped. That pattern is repeated almost every morning, or whenever I leave the property and he is around.

He doesn't chase anyone else. My wife driving out doesn't matter, and when the UPS delivery guy was here a few days ago, he didn't say anything.

But when I leave Terrence the Turkey suffers severe separation anxieties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:28 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
great story!!

thanx for sharing

Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,002 times
Maybe you need to let him sit in the passenger seat!!! Take him for a swing through town on your errands! Aflac's got nothin' on Terrence!!!! Great stuff Acadian!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
That's hilarious.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,377,875 times
Gee I wonder if I can make a pet out of on of our flock?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

Well have no fear: Pretty soon the pharmaceutical companies will probably come up with a Prozac-equivalent for poultry....

Hmmm...Proturk? Placidpolt? Turkulizer? Okay, I'll stop...

Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM

263 posts, read 797,599 times
Will we get to see a picture of Terrence??!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Great story!! I've heard of quite a few partridge being people friendly but never a wild turkey. That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Gee I wonder if I can make a pet out of on of our flock?
Let me know before you go out to gobble. I want to be there to take pictures.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
We have a guy in town who feeds geese. There was a mother Canadian goose who showed up with three goslings. Then Mom disappeared and two of the goslings disappeared over time. The one remaining was a young gander. He didn't bond with my friend. He bonded with my friend's red Jeep. Maybe it's because the food was in the back of the Jeep, but when my friend took off in the Jeep the goose followed - in flight - six feet off the ground where he could watch my friend in the rear view mirror. The only other low flight experience my friend had was in a Loach so he named the goose Loach. That goose would fly down the road behind the Jeep to the post office. He would pace back and forth on the lawn and then fly following the food Jeep home.

Loach eventually realized he could fly above treetop level and went south with a flock of geese. I wonder if he saw an identical Jeep along the way and took up following that one.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I have been adopt by a turkey.

Last winter we had a large flock of turkeys show up in the front yard every day, or nearly every day. We threw scratch feed out for them to forage, and it was great fun seeing them and photographing all 35 or so of them.

Later in the spring they all disappeared, until one day a single tom appeared in the front yard. We threw out some feed for him, and ever since then he appears every morning and hangs around all day long. I go out in the early morning and "chat" with him. His name is Terrence.

The cats ignore him and he ignores them. I also throw out the old day old cat food, and Purina, our personal sea gull always comes in for breakfast, along with a half dozen neighborhood crows. My wife keeps all the bird feeders full, so we have a lot of birds around.

About a month and a half ago, when I went out to get in my truck to leave, Terrence was in the driveway. As soon as I got into the truck he started to squawk and yell, and when I started the engine, he began to yell in great ferocious yawks and flaps his wings.

When I started out the driveway, he flaped his wings, yelled, and ran pell mell up the driveway after the truck. He rab all the way to the dirt road that the driveway runs onto and then stoped. That pattern is repeated almost every morning, or whenever I leave the property and he is around.

He doesn't chase anyone else. My wife driving out doesn't matter, and when the UPS delivery guy was here a few days ago, he didn't say anything.

Shoot it and eat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine