Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:33 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,505,438 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think, will the Sears Island Cargo Port ever be built?

Searsport is the first USA Deep Cargo Port for European markets and in the last few years ships docking here and in Bucksport have increased by 15%...on average 200 ships per year. It only makes sense that putting in a cargo port for containers is what Maine needs. Not to mention the jobs...about 400-500 of them in the midcoast area. We all know MBNA hired a lot of folks, but not the blue collar/farmer folks that were displaced by the chicken industry! These would be jobs...well paying jobs for this group.

As for the environmental impact, the dredging hasd already been done, and the proposed eel grass that would have killed the cod...well the cod have died off anyway and the eel grass is still there so that makes no sense. The causeway is in as well and the road is wider and better made then most in Maine, and as of last year 300 acres has been given to the Cargo Port and the rest to presevation...a good compromise.

So the question is, it is well poised to be built, but will it ever be built? I know the state is waiting for a foreign investor to ante up the 250 million to build it, and then tax the crap out of it so it nearly goes backrupt, but that is the only reason I see that it can't feasibly be built.

What do you think about the Sears Island Cargo Port being built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,691,513 times
WOW, I wasn't even aware of this?? I think its a great idea if the need for it is there. Right now the biggest port of entry closest to us is halfax where the stuff is moved by rail or barges from that point. My ony concern would be its proximity to Acadia National park..

Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,090 times
I don't know where you got the idea a container port would employ 400-500 people. That's nonsense. You must be thinking of the old days, the "On the Waterfront" days of half a century ago, when gangs of stevedores with cargo hooks swarmed down into the holds of freighters to hand load pallets. One of the main points of containerization is to eliminate as much labor as possible. Please take the trouble to investigate what Yarmouth-based port and rail expert "Chop" Hardenburgh has to say on the absurdity of expecting a container port on Sears Island to have any economic viability. If the unimaginative bureaucrats at Maine Department of Transportation and in the Governor's Office have their way -- they're currently spending at least $100,000 of taxpayer money sorely needed elsewhere pursuing this foolish venture -- the only thing that will be accomplished is the destruction of what is at present the largest undeveloped and totally wild island in public hands on the U.S. East Coast. The only people who would ultimately benefit are the speculators at Chicago-based RailWorld, owners of the assets of the bankrupt Bangor and Aroostook Railroad, who have lined up for a big handout of publicly useless corporate welfare provided by the unknowing taxpayers of Maine. This is just good money after bad ($22 million already down the drain in previous stupid state-sponsored industrial port ventures on the island). Something as rare, beautiful and publicly accessible as Sears Island has far greater economic value in its contribution to the ambiance of Maine, what draws millions of tourists and thousands of well-heeled retirees here each year. The promise of economic success derived from industrially raping this beautiful island is a big fat lie brought to you by the knaves and fools in Augusta. A container port hundreds of miles from either manufacturing or population centers doesn't make sense. Container traffic is currently way down. Even the highly successful Halifax, a pioneer in containerized port traffic, is down 30 percent. But when and if the flow of containers returns to old levels, don't you suppose existing and far better placed ports on the East Coast won't be better prepared to exploit that turnaround? Indeed, from Florida north to Halifax, they're all already making their move. Maine people just have to be smarter than Gov. Baldacci and his gang of unquestioning corporate grovelers.

Peter Taber
Publisher
Wild Maine Times
Searsport

Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,035,263 times
I have never understood the interest in that island as a port when there is all ready a natural deep water protected port in place.

Eastport Port Authority - About Us (http://www.portofeastport.org/aboutUs.htm - broken link)

Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,190,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I have never understood the interest in that island as a port when there is all ready a natural deep water protected port in place.

Eastport Port Authority - About Us (http://www.portofeastport.org/aboutUs.htm - broken link)

It's good to see you back.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,190,531 times
Sears Island will never have any port facilities. The greens have effectivly killed any use of the island for a port.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Comparing Eastport with Searsport (or sears island) is uncomparable really. Eastport gets a mere 12 ships a year while Searsport is swamped with ships...all weekend 3 have been sitting at anchor waiting for one to get out of the way so the other can take its berth.

Eastport however did get funding that was slated for Searsport's 5 year dredging plan. What a silly idea...pull funding from a port that is getting a 15% increase in ships and give it to a port that requires ships to slow down and take a meandering trek into port beacuse of right wales.

Eastport has its place, but I think for containerized freight, Sears Island would be a much better place.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,035,263 times
Interesting opinion, although I think you need to check your facts. You asked for mine, and I gave it to you.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Taber View Post
I don't know where you got the idea a container port would employ 400-500 people. That's nonsense. You must be thinking of the old days, the "On the Waterfront" days of half a century ago, when gangs of stevedores with cargo hooks swarmed down into the holds of freighters to hand load pallets. One of the main points of containerization is to eliminate as much labor as possible. Please take the trouble to investigate what Yarmouth-based port and rail expert "Chop" Hardenburgh has to say on the absurdity of expecting a container port on Sears Island to have any economic viability. If the unimaginative bureaucrats at Maine Department of Transportation and in the Governor's Office have their way -- they're currently spending at least $100,000 of taxpayer money sorely needed elsewhere pursuing this foolish venture -- the only thing that will be accomplished is the destruction of what is at present the largest undeveloped and totally wild island in public hands on the U.S. East Coast. The only people who would ultimately benefit are the speculators at Chicago-based RailWorld, owners of the assets of the bankrupt Bangor and Aroostook Railroad, who have lined up for a big handout of publicly useless corporate welfare provided by the unknowing taxpayers of Maine. This is just good money after bad ($22 million already down the drain in previous stupid state-sponsored industrial port ventures on the island). Something as rare, beautiful and publicly accessible as Sears Island has far greater economic value in its contribution to the ambiance of Maine, what draws millions of tourists and thousands of well-heeled retirees here each year. The promise of economic success derived from industrially raping this beautiful island is a big fat lie brought to you by the knaves and fools in Augusta. A container port hundreds of miles from either manufacturing or population centers doesn't make sense. Container traffic is currently way down. Even the highly successful Halifax, a pioneer in containerized port traffic, is down 30 percent. But when and if the flow of containers returns to old levels, don't you suppose existing and far better placed ports on the East Coast won't be better prepared to exploit that turnaround? Indeed, from Florida north to Halifax, they're all already making their move. Maine people just have to be smarter than Gov. Baldacci and his gang of unquestioning corporate grovelers.

Peter Taber
Publisher
Wild Maine Times
Searsport
Interesting view.

In my opinion Sears Island has already been ruined anyway. When I was a kid we would drive out there at low tide, cook up some clams over a nice fire and wait until morning when the tide would be low enough to make it out across the gravel road at low tide. I assume you remember what Sears Island was like before the causeway was put in.

Even after the causeway was installed I have some fond memories of that island. Lets just say me and the Mrs were smiling when we went back out across the causeway! (he, he, he).

But I don't see the big use now. There has not been a soul out there all summer, but Friday we saw a few people out there. Wow, 6 people all summer enjoying 900 acres...that is a good use of an island. I am sure glad we put a road up and a gate!

To me having 300 people working on 300 acres, and letting the greenies enjoy the other 600 acres is a nice compromise. People say that containers won't come to Searsport, but the tankers sure are...increasing in number by 15% per year. So I guess the question is, you say the ships won't come, and I am saying they already are here. All we got to do is take another kind of ship.

Its time for a cargo port on Sears Island people!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,074,748 times
BT, I think the 300 figure comes from the number of people employed to build the port, not operate it. As much as I hate to admit it, Mr. Taber (who has fought development on the island tooth and nail for many years) is correct in that regard. There was always tlak of other industries locating out there with the port. Perhaps they would increase the employment number toward the 300 mark.

Eastport is a fine deepwater port, but its major drawback is lack of a rail connection to the rest of the world. The rail line to Washington County from Ellsworth is being torn up for a highly questionable (IMO) trail system that will be taken over by ATVs and snowmobiles. There's the rail line that comes out of Canada at Vanceboro, but there's no spur to Eastport that I know of.

Most of the growth in ship traffic at Bucksport, BTW, has been the cruise line that makes runs up to Bangor, although I hear that the dock at the mill is seeing more traffic for petroleum products.

As for the likelihood that Sears Island will be developed, I have to rank it as very low. For one thing, Irving is building a brand new deepwater container port north of St. John that should be finished next year IIRC. That's going to suck a LOT of container traffic away from other East Coast ports and put a new development at Sears Island at a serious disadvantage.

I used to deer hunt out there before the causeway was built, and other family members brought down more than a few partridges in the meadows. It's a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: