Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 37,513 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are a family from Texas with 2 children and we are planning on moving to either New Hampshire or Maine in the next 1-2 months. We are self-employed and work from home so we can pretty much move anywhere--as long as it is a safe environment with good schools for our kids. We have only been to the New England area once this last spring break and we spent most of our time in Portsmouth, NH and popped over to Kittery a couple of times. I regret to say that we didn't get to spend much time at all in Maine because of time constraints. I admit that I don't know all that much about Maine, but I am very interested in learning more. After looking online for home rentals, the York area keeps coming up. It seems like there are quite a few winter rentals that run through the middle of June available and not as many year round rentals. What I am wondering is--would it be a good idea to take a winter rental so that we could at least get up there and then it will be easier to find a year round rental before the other runs out? I am sure that it will be easier to find something if we are actually there in the area. Can anyone give me any advice on this or any information on the York area? Also, from looking online, it looks like the York elementary school and middle school are highly rated--does anyone know firsthand? I would really appreciate any help you could give me on this!! Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
York is so close to the border of NH, and so close to Mass., a lot of the Mainer's on here don't even consider it part of the real Maine.

We have winter rentals here on Cape Cod as well and it might not be a bad idea for you to go that route. You'd get your boots on the ground and the kids in a school system that's got a good reputation according to you (my daughter's 30, so I'm way out of that loop). It leaves you 5-6 months of acclimating yourself to northeastern New England by allowing you to be in fairly easy proximity to all areas. You'll be able to do a lot of traveling around to the different areas to see what clicks for you.

Once you get a chance to explore north of Portland or down east along the coast a half day or so away from York, you might have a different desire on where you'd like to end up permanently.

Good luck and have fun... and safe travels on your journey up! Keep us posted.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 AM

46 posts, read 179,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbozarth4 View Post
It seems like there are quite a few winter rentals that run through the middle of June available and not as many year round rentals. What I am wondering is--would it be a good idea to take a winter rental so that we could at least get up there and then it will be easier to find a year round rental before the other runs out? I am sure that it will be easier to find something if we are actually there in the area. Can anyone give me any advice on this or any information on the York area? Also, from looking online, it looks like the York elementary school and middle school are highly rated--does anyone know firsthand? I would really appreciate any help you could give me on this!! Thanks a bunch
I'll point out a few things that I hope will help you decide.

If you take a winter rental that runs out in June, you'll be looking for a year-round rental at the least likely time to find one. If you've signed a lease, unless you want to carry two places, you'll be locked in until the end of it and will have a brief window of opportunity in which to find another place.

As you pointed out, it will be easier to find something if you're already in the area than trying to do so from far away. On the other hand, you should keep in mind that an area that doesn't have many year round rentals will likely have a low supply of them all year round. Maine, in general, doesn't have many year round house rentals as compared to other places. Part of the reason for this is that it's traditionally been not so hard to buy here as elsewhere, and more Mainers own their homes. This may be good for you when and if you reach the point where you want to buy. Until then, you won't find anything like an abundance of house rentals.

If I were you, I'd look at everything that's available to rent and suitable to your needs, whether it's year-round or seasonal, but I would give preference to a year's lease if you can find one that you like. I'd be nervous about being forced to leave my rental right at the beginning of the tourist season.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
The other problem with winter rentals is that you're renting someone's summer home, and it may not be the ideal place to live in the winter in terms of insulation, heating expenses, water pipe vulnerabilities to freezing, etc. If you do go the winter rental route, definitely keep that in mind. Winter in Texas really has no comparison to winter in Maine, even on the southern coast.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
Absolutely. And the house would be furnished, too, so you'd have to have all of your stuff in storage for the winter.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 AM

11 posts, read 37,513 times
Default Thanks so much!

Thank you all for the wonderful input. It definitely gives me something to think about. Ideally, I would like to find a year-round rental, but if push comes to shove, we might have to go the winter rental route! I am excited to experience my first New England winter. Other than 2 winters in Germany while in the military(it got pretty cold and snowy!!) the rest of my winters have either been in Texas or California. I am sure that I am in for quite a surprise Can't wait!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM

63 posts, read 136,848 times
We're looking for a rental as well, but further up north than you. Have you tried craigslist? TONS of homes for lease and I see York on there pretty frequently. There is one crazy lady on there who advertises almost every day and I just noticed her ad again last week. We almost rented her home last year too, thank god we didn't. It just stinks of a scam.

I would also say to avoid the winter rental route for all the reasons stated above. One, it will be furnished. Two, you may lose a ton of money on heat if it's not insulated properly.

Don't be afraid to ask them if they would consider a year long lease and if they would unfurnish the house...times are desperate and the increase in winter rentals from last year to this year is tenfold, most likely because people can't afford to keep their summer homes without some additional income. If "push comes to shove" for them, they might consider forfeiting their vacation next summer if it means a steady income from you. I would say about half the people I have asked to unfurnish and to extend the lease to a year have said yes, especially now. Winter's rolling in and the school season rush of renters have already passed.

Also, check out the "for sale" section. I've had wonderful luck asking realtors about specific homes for sale that might consider leasing. You have ask them to "please ask the owners if they would consider leasing their home if it is not owner-occupied" however...if you just ask the realtors opinion, they might say no where the owners might've said yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbozarth4 View Post
I am excited to experience my first New England winter. Other than 2 winters in Germany while in the military(it got pretty cold and snowy!!) the rest of my winters have either been in Texas or California. I am sure that I am in for quite a surprise Can't wait!!!
Dress in layers! That's all I have to say. And make sure you have tires that can handle winter driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine