U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM

742 posts, read 664,504 times
Default Venison

I understand it is illegal to sell the game, but I wonder if there are any hunters out there that find themselves at a surplus.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-08-2009 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: yes it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,236,087 times
No surplus this time of year unless you want year-old, freezer-burned stew meat. Make friends with a hunter and he/she will most likely give you some. The state runs a program to distribute unwanted or surplus deer meat to the needy or for institutions. I don't know what the qualifications are for getting on the list for some meat though I do know in this economy there are more and more people signing up for the free meat every fall.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 PM

742 posts, read 664,504 times
well i figured id check again end of season, but i thought id throw it out there now.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
well i figured id check again end of season, but i thought id throw it out there now.
Bow hunting starts fairly soon. Some avid archers will shoot two or three deer a year around the south coastal areas. You may want to check with an archery shop to see if there are any people who would give you a package or two. Technically you're not even supposed to GIVE it away.
I'd talk to a warden if I were you. If you want to cut it up they might let you have an unwanted roadkill. Many drivers do not want the deer they hit and there is usually at least a good quarter or two of meat on them. Other than that I'd wait until November when rifle season starts. There is plenty of meat around then though I seriously doubt anyone will even talk to you about it on the internet! You need to find some hunting friends!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 PM

329 posts, read 407,124 times
I've been a property owner in Maine for about a year and a half ( Penobscot County ), and haven't seen a single deer yet.

The apple trees across the road from me are full of apples, so I'm guessing my area doesn't have a big ( if any ) deer population.

Good luck~?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
I've been a property owner in Maine for about a year and a half ( Penobscot County ), and haven't seen a single deer yet.

The apple trees across the road from me are full of apples, so I'm guessing my area doesn't have a big ( if any ) deer population.

Good luck~?
They only come around when you're not there! Have you tracked the area? I'd be willing to bet there are deer there unless it's on a busy road or there's barbed wire fencing around. I can't remember the last time I walked a dirt road anywhere in the state and NOT seen a set of deer tracks. My brother had them in his back yard in Brunswick in the middle of town!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:56 AM

6,095 posts, read 7,680,082 times
We have real winters up where Clownshoes has his property. The deer population depends on the weather. If a deer does not reach about 70 pounds the first year it simply does not survive the winter. The good side of that is only the genetically large deer ever get to reproduce. We have the largest white tail deer in the country. I'm told the largest white tails anywhere are in Saskatchewan.

We have had two good old fashioned winters in a row so the deer population is down, but they are not gone. There are no doe tags this year in Clownshoes' zone or any nearby zones either. We have always called them doe tags, but Augusta calls them "any deer permits".

Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 AM

7,125 posts, read 3,916,216 times
Default stocking up on charcoal

Alternative to sulplus venison.

The animal rights folks stopped the distribution of venison in initial attempts at feeding the hungry because it wasn't 'inspected'. Revitalized after many butchers got certification. This link from the state of Maine:
http://maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/hunting/huntersforhungry.htm

Venison purchased in restaurants are typically from 'farms' and are fallow or sika deer. States frown on the sale of venison because it might promote illegal market hunting. I think it is ok to sell hides and hide products but that may be a state by state deal. Every once in a while they bust a restaurant for serving 'real' venison. A Chinese restaurant got busted when they got caught with a road kill deer in their kitchen and a high end restaurant in the Meadowlands Areana got nailed as well.

No reason anyone should go hungry. Maine wants to save a few "bucks"? Venison could be fed to prisioners but that would be too good for most inmates.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM

21,523 posts, read 27,137,267 times
jcinsov -
What region of Maine are you located in?

Do you hunt?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM

7,711 posts, read 7,595,302 times
"Up Here" in NMLM country, we see deer most mornings in the yard eating apples. We were taking down some small trees and brush in the side yard this weekend and saw where a buck had been rubbing. There's a deer trail goes through the property here. Neither one of us hunt now, I'm hoping to have someone that does come up and if they're lucky, leave us a bit of what they bring down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine