U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,595,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
lawmom- Thank you for answering my questions about the weather.

Deborah-Well, I stated the 800-900 a month before I knew how expensive things are in Maine. Now that I know the prices (generally) I'll be adjusting my budget.
It has been said before, but I'll state it again: Before you even THINK that you might want to move to Maine, you need to come here and explore for at least a few weeks, if not a month or more.

EVERYTHING that you have said that you want it not within your budget unless your bedget is merely a fraction of what you really have available to live on. Of course, the one exception might be that if you plan to come to Maine to start collecting welfare.

The towns in Maine are all small in comparison with other places. Yes, most towns of any size at all have a library. Most towns are not near one another, and there is little to NO public transportation in Maine, so if you move to a small town and have no transportation of your own, you will be simply stuck there.

From your comments so far, it seems like you may be thinking that Maine is exactly like where you are now, only somewhat different...somewhat smaller...somewhat, ah, "simpler".

I think you better do a LOT more reading. Start by looking at a map of Maine, and reading as much about some of the towns that you can find either on the town/city's own website, or elsewhere on the web. There is a LOT of information, and especially so on the individual town or city's web sites. Don't be fooled: if a town has a web site and there isn't much information there, it is probably because there isn't much in the town to put on the website.

To directly answer your initial question in a word, it is NO. Here is a brief summary: electric rates in Maine are around fifteen cents per kilowatt hour. Your minimum electric bill...the base cost of having an electric service...will be at least $15 per month. Cat food is forty-five cents per can. If you earn your living on line, cable or dsl connection will take about $35.00 per month, minimum. You might find a hole for $500 per month, but it might not be cable/Internet ready, and it probably won't include heat.....

Now, do some more reading, and then ask more questions. Ask some REAL questions.

(P.S. This is the curmudgeon speaking. I don't think this is a real inquiry. It reminds me of the old question: "can I buy a car for $50. Answer: Yes, you can. It won't run, but you CAN buy one for $50.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 AM

21,793 posts, read 28,218,684 times
Maine does offer some very inexpensive living. With Maine's low tax structure you can live here for much cheaper than you could in many other areas. However living cheap is obviously not living high on the hog. No new cars, no restaurant dining, you may be off-grid, and you may be chilly come winter.

As NMLM said the UTs are your best bet.

May I ask, tell us about your living conditions today. Do you own a home? Are you renting? How many bedrooms does your place have and how much is it costing you? If you are already accustomed to cooking your meals on a wood stove, then perhaps it would not be such a traumatic move.

I see 1 room flops in town that rent for cheap, folks who do not own a vehicle, and if that is your standard of living now, then moving to Maine might be comparable.

Our eldest son wanted dearly to live in a one-room cabin with a woodstove raising chickens and goats, off-grid and chopping firewood. We managed to convince him otherwise.

Tell us more about yourself and how you are living now.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,406,170 times
But would the OP have easy access to a grocery store, movie theater and library living like that? When you add those requirements in, it doesn't seem very feasible...

Old 09-13-2009, 11:12 AM

3,518 posts, read 3,451,237 times
This will give you some ideas about housing:

Apartments Unfurnished - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/topic/1306/browse.html - broken link)

Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 AM

119 posts, read 212,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
EVERYTHING that you have said that you want it not within your budget unless your bedget is merely a fraction of what you really have available to live on. Of course, the one exception might be that if you plan to come to Maine to start collecting welfare.
Yes, the budget I gave is only a fraction of what I have to live on. If I wanted to collect welfare, I'd do it in California.

I had no idea that living in Maine would be almost as expensive as living in California. I figured that since Maine had less people then California it would be cheaper. I realize now that it's not possible, I'll have to adjust my budget.

I have no pets so pet care isn't something I would spend money on.

I pay about 300 in rent (including internet, utilities and rent.) plus about 125 for groceries. Although I have a roommate here as well so that cuts down on costs.

reloop-Thank you for the website I appreciate you sending the link my way.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:06 PM

264 posts, read 443,167 times
OLD TOWN - 1 BR, all utilities included, close to UMaine, $600/mo.; 990-2271

Well, I guess if you did something like this and lived in a 1 bedroom it may work to your budget since all utilities are included...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:01 PM

682 posts, read 469,751 times
Quote:
Yes, the budget I gave is only a fraction of what I have to live on. If I wanted to collect welfare, I'd do it in California.

I had no idea that living in Maine would be almost as expensive as living in California. I figured that since Maine had less people then California it would be cheaper. I realize now that it's not possible, I'll have to adjust my budget.

I pay about 300 in rent (including internet, utilities and rent.) plus about 125 for groceries. Although I have a roommate here as well so that cuts down on costs.

You are not going to find anything close to $300.00 a month in Maine with all utilities included., hell that won't even pay the oil bill for the owner of the building.

bill

Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,859,955 times
Quote:

Ha, ha ha ha, you will not find anything closely resembling that in Maine.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM

85 posts, read 112,587 times
Rents in Presque Isle are around 400 to 500 p/m. Some cheaper some more. Just a very tight budget after rent is paid... Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 PM

5,377 posts, read 9,308,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Ha, ha ha ha, you will not find anything closely resembling that in Maine.
well, considering that the OP has a room mate, she probably pays about half of the total rent and $600/mo including utilities isn't unheard of in Maine at all. It's difficult (not impossible) to find something like that in Portland, but I know plenty of people who paid even less than that for places in Farmington (in fact, I paid 250 with a room mate in Farmington), Lewiston and Augusta and that's just personal knowledge. A quick glance at craigslist shows plenty of places for under $500 (even a studio in Freeport for $275/mo or a studio in Gorham Village with everything included-even internet- for $550/mo). They may not be huge or fancy, but I didn't see the OP mention anywhere that she was looking for a place at the Taj Mahal.

As has been established, it won't be EASY and it won't be the Ritz, but it's certainly not impossible. Parts of Maine may not be dirt cheap (some really aren't expensive), but its priciest areas are certainly not as expensive as Metro San Francisco, San Diego, or Los Angeles.

Last edited by lrfox; 09-14-2009 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine