Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

It is a Federal job, and it is posted publicly. Any US citizen can apply.

Many Federal jobs are not posted publicly, only current employees can apply for them. So while this is a 24-hour job in a grocery store, once you become a Federal employee then whenever they have an opening in some other agency you may be able to transfer. An employee could do a transfer to DFAS or to HSA or to the Forestry Department, or any of the other Federal agencies.

So it could be seen as a 'foot-in-the-door' job, a stepping-stone on to other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
The link forest posted is the announcement, and yes...this is a federal job, so no, it's not going to be easy to find...

I should mention that we are hiring for 24 hour positions, at times there are extra hours, but usually your core hours. The other thing I should mention, just before people waste their time, they Usually do NOT work around any other commitments or jobs, the stand is that this job is number one (even though 24 hours, and that's not to say they will not)

On the upside, the pay is good, you get sick and leave (vacation) time as you earn them. As I recently found out, if you get hurt at work, (along with covering all medical expenses) you lose NO pay, even when you shift to workers comp.
are you talking 24 hours in a week or one full, 24 hour day on duty?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
It's a 120 hour week.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
They have positions that are 24-hours per week, 36-hours per week, and a few 40-hours per week.

In this agency they hire everyone at 24-hours a week. Then management messes everything up, the workers can't get the stuff done, so they bump up each worker's hours, to get the work done. Most workers end up working 36 hours each week. They try very hard to avoid having 40-hour workers.

These two openings are both 24-hours each week. Like 5-days a week and each day will be a 4 or 5 hour work shift.

Time-and-a-half if you work nights or weekends. Double-time if you work on a Federal holiday. mm, wait, those two might be off. They get one over-time rate for nights or weekends and a different rate for holidays. But I am not totally positive if they are time-and-a-half, and double-time.

They had been increasing each worker's hours, trying to get the work done, despite the management's incompetency working to thwart the effort. This week they decided to cut-back everyone to 24 hours each week, to make sure they really needed to bring in more workers.

B was working 7pm to 2am when she was injured, now she is working mornings [like 8am to 1pm]

I stock shelves there. I work for a distributor and I only stock certain product lines, 1 or 2 hours each night. I get great enjoyment watching how poorly mismanaged a grocery store can be.

We have a friend at church who works for DFAS up in Loring. In that agency if you show any signs of competency they begin offering you transfers to other regional offices. Triple-pay if you transfer over-seas. They only want the completely incompetent office workers to stay here. Our friend is offered these other jobs about every week. He reviews government contracts, to make sure that contractor bids meet the terms of work that agencies want done; he authorizes the work, and then after someone else inspects the work he signs the checks.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
It was 27 this morning when I got up around 6:30 am. Today it went into the 40's. Somewhat chilly and snow on the mountains which means as it creeps down...........from reading earlier posts seems like Maine is getting some chilly Fall weather also.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 09-23-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
It was 27 this morning when I got up around 6:30 am. Today it went into the 40's. Somewhat chilly and snow on the mountains which means as it creeps down...........
Nope not yet thank you! It was 80 here today and cloudy. It's still in the mid 60's at quarter to midnight. After a very wet spring and summer we are due for a long, dry, warm, fall!!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Nope not yet thank you! It was 80 here today and cloudy. It's still in the mid 60's at quarter to midnight. After a very wet spring and summer we are due for a long, dry, warm, fall!!
Well that makes me realllly jealous lol. Usually by late September our weather just goes to rainy, much colder temps. You say 80 there today. We rarely hit that in the summer. Some years ago it was around 83 for about 4 days or so, everybody was complaining it was to hot. I do love the summers up here but they are just way toooo short!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We went over to Wolfe Neck State Park in Freeport this morning. It is such a wonderful park...with easy walking trails with beautiful views of Casco Bay and access down to the shore. (The proceeds from the Loon Liscence Plates are used to maintain this jewel.)

It is wonderful to realize that the 200 acres of wooded ocean front property were a gift to the state by a Mr. and Mrs Smith who wanted to assure that the property was preserved and used by the people for recreation and education. Thank You Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Smith, we appreciate your remarkable generosity.

As an aside: we were talking to a man who collects blood worms at low tide.....he works about 4 hours a day year round!!!! and he estimated his take this morning was about $200......he is a trained machinist but gave it up to collect blood worms.....he gets about 35 cents per worm.....That is a maine occupation I had never heard of. Sure didnt look easy....and in the winter it must be bone chilling.....but he seemed happy!

After we went into the village and people watched and window shopped and enjoyed delicious scallops and fried clams and then Ben&Jerry's ice cream cones.

We are so lucky to live in Maine!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We went over to Wolfe Neck State Park in Freeport this morning. It is such a wonderful park...with easy walking trails with beautiful views of Casco Bay and access down to the shore. (The proceeds from the Loon Liscence Plates are used to maintain this jewel.)

It is wonderful to realize that the 200 acres of wooded ocean front property were a gift to the state by a Mr. and Mrs Smith who wanted to assure that the property was preserved and used by the people for recreation and education. Thank You Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Smith, we appreciate your remarkable generosity.

After we went into the village and people watched and window shopped and enjoyed delicious scallops and fried clams and then Ben&Jerry's ice cream cones.

We are so lucky to live in Maine!!!
Did you drive down as far as the Stone house at the end of the public way? Our camp is 1/2 mile from Wolfe's Neck Park entrance and just a few hundred yards from the Stone house. It is a lovely area.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We did miss the turn into the park and did drive all the way to the stone house and turned there....so we must have driven right past your house ...twice. It is absolutely beautiful there....you are a most fortunate man.

We had a wonderful time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine