Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times

Advertisements

Steve's dad owned a marine worm business when we met. I'd count sand worms but blood worms bite. Back then worms were worth between .05 and .07 cents each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Steve's dad owned a marine worm business when we met. I'd count sand worms but blood worms bite. Back then worms were worth between .05 and .07 cents each.
He said they bite and he even showed us that they will bite themselves....He wears gloves when he is catching them. He said they have a venom that causes a little numbness.

My first reaction to looking into a bucket full of blood worms was revulsion....but soon I could see them as beautiful...almost a worm ballet.

I was surprised at the price he says he gets for them from the bait dealer he sells to. He said most end up being sold in the Chesapeak Bay area and in Florida....but also exported to Italy and I think he said France.

He works all year long. What a hard job it must be in the winter.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We did miss the turn into the park and did drive all the way to the stone house and turned there....so we must have driven right past your house ...twice. It is absolutely beautiful there....you are a most fortunate man.

We had a wonderful time.
Our place is just beyond the Stone House through the gate that says "end of public way". Maybe it's a little more tha 1/2 mile from the park but not a lot more. We walk up to the Stone House often when were down there. We are lucky to have a place down there. That area in front of Wolfe's Neck Park is where I used to catch all of my best lobsters when I had my traps and my little aluminum boat. There is a small island right off the park with osprey nests. Just on the outside of that was a channel that runs up to the Little River bridge. I used to catch a pile of lobsters there this time of year. An afternoon like this one was perfect for pulling traps. Glad you had a chance to spend some time there. It is a special place to us.

Last edited by Maineah; 09-24-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
He should go back in the business. They sell for 66 cents a piece now for blood worms! I pay $8.00 a dozen for them in the winter during smelt season!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
He said they bite and he even showed us that they will bite themselves....He wears gloves when he is catching them. He said they have a venom that causes a little numbness.
My first reaction to looking into a bucket full of blood worms was revulsion....but soon I could see them as beautiful...almost a worm ballet.

I was surprised at the price he says he gets for them from the bait dealer he sells to. He said most end up being sold in the Chesapeak Bay area and in Florida....but also exported to Italy and I think he said France.

I have a slight allergy to them. If I handle them too much with no gloves I get a form of Pink Eye (conjuctivitis) that I need special eye drops to get rid of.
They can be nasty little buggers but smelts love them.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Our place is just beyond the Stone House through the gate that says "end of public way". We walk up to the Stone House often when were down there. We are lucky to have a place down there. That area in front of Wolfe's Neck Park is where I used to catch all of my best lobsters when I had my traps and my little aluminum boat. There is a small island right off the park with osprey nests. Just on the outside of that was a channel that runs up to the little river bridge. I used to catch a pile of lobsters there this time of year. An afternoon like this one was perfect for pulling traps. Glad you had a chance to spend some time there. It is a special place to us.
We were watching a boat pulling lobster traps off to the right of that island while we were there today.....and the blood worm fisherman was digging near there in an area where we found a lot of broken clam shells where an animal has obviously been cracking them on the rocks....there was quite a pile of broken quohog shells. scattered over the rocks--must be a place they go to regularly.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Maineah, the last I knew, Guy Hutt ran Wolfe Neck Farm. Do you know him? I went all through grade school with him in Mass.! That farm is absolutely amazing.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:

blood worms are a favorite bait when fishing for stripers, they have little pinchers on one end of them, sand worms are orangy in color

when walking along a mud flat (when the tide goes out) a well trained eye, can tell the difference of of what is underneath a "hole" an opening in the mud,,,could be a clam,,,or a worm
the clammers and wormers , have a back breaking job!!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Maineah, the last I knew, Guy Hutt ran Wolfe Neck Farm. Do you know him? I went all through grade school with him in Mass.! That farm is absolutely amazing.
I have met him but I do not know him. Wolfe Neck Farm is gone now. There is no one working there anymore. They just have a small store to sell beef to tourists and people staying at Recompense Campsites. They moved the cattle up to Pineland Farms in New Gloucester. Seems the cattle poop was causing algae blooms along the shore. They're still calling the beef Wolfe's Neck Farm Organic Beef for now but it is grown at Pineland Farms.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 AM

I was impressed with the eco-consciousness of the Wolfe Neck Farm to move away from the coast to avoid dispoiling the natural resource. The Dairy Herd up at Pinelands is a really impressive operation and wonderful to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine