Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I have news...

Some of you may remember last spring my oldest son (18) made the decision to join the Maine Army National Guard. He graduated from high school in June, and left for basic training at Fort Jackson in July. He's since graduated from basic, and is now at Fort Lee for AIT. He'll be home in December, and head off to college at UMPI in January, he's in the "college first" program. We are very proud of him!

This afternoon I got a call from my oldest daughter. She's 19, she'll be 20 in February. She went to her brother's graduation at Fort Jackson, and was inspired, but she was looking for something a little different. She has always been my one to "do it up big" so to speak, but she's every ounce of the girly girl, so when she was "inspired" I was thinking "what a patriot!". Well, today, she showed ALL her patriotic colors, as she became the newest MARINE recruit from Maine!! It's official... she's been to MEPs, and is in "delayed entry", leaving Jan 4th for sunny Parris Island.

I'm still trying to breathe... and I'm proud... but, as a Mom, well, you know this isn't easy for me!
Wow that's great Mollysmiles. I'm sure it was a surprise to you. Please thank both of your patriotic children for their service to our country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I have news...

Some of you may remember last spring my oldest son (18) made the decision to join the Maine Army National Guard. He graduated from high school in June, and left for basic training at Fort Jackson in July. He's since graduated from basic, and is now at Fort Lee for AIT. He'll be home in December, and head off to college at UMPI in January, he's in the "college first" program. We are very proud of him!

This afternoon I got a call from my oldest daughter. She's 19, she'll be 20 in February. She went to her brother's graduation at Fort Jackson, and was inspired, but she was looking for something a little different. She has always been my one to "do it up big" so to speak, but she's every ounce of the girly girl, so when she was "inspired" I was thinking "what a patriot!". Well, today, she showed ALL her patriotic colors, as she became the newest MARINE recruit from Maine!! It's official... she's been to MEPs, and is in "delayed entry", leaving Jan 4th for sunny Parris Island.

I'm still trying to breathe... and I'm proud... but, as a Mom, well, you know this isn't easy for me!
Woo Hoo!

Wonderful!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Are you following the tragety that took place at Ft. Hood Texas this afternoon?? 12 dead and 31 wounded.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Congratulations to your children (and to you, for being such a great parent!)! Very impressive.

We have met many wonderful people in the military from all over the United States (and several who immigrated here and joined the military). They will, too. It has been a rewarding experience.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Are you following the tragety that took place at Ft. Hood Texas this afternoon?? 12 dead and 31 wounded.
I quit watching the news when my eldest was in the army...for me, and other military moms it's easier that way.

That is a sad event...

as always, may God Bless our troops, and thier families.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:31 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Molly, I have know several female Marines (used to live quite near Camp Lejune in NC) and one here in this area -- and I would describe more than one as a "girly girl" when not on duty.

On duty, I'd describe them as gals I wouldn't wanna mess with, were I an enemy soldier.

You daughter has my admiration! (and your son, too... )

Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Thanks you guys... She went down to MEPs in Portland today, and I expected that they'd send her back... she's had some issues with her knee (cheerleading stuff), and I thought sure they'd ask for more info. When she called this afternoon I expected "Mom they need..." and I heard, "Mom, I'm in... I signed". This girl and I have never spent more than six days apart... and to go "cold turkey" is going to be a big shock to my system. She'll be so busy she won't have time to miss us!

I just got back home after caching with Maine Writer and saw the news... what happened at Fort Hood is awful. I'm almost thinking that the next group of Nat'l Guardsmen we're shipping out from Maine are due to arrive there in January. Michael would have been part of that group had he not done college first. This is a tragedy. I don't need to tell you what I hope they do to the gunmen... they're thinking there is more than one???

Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
I'm proud to be your acquaintance. Good for you and your military family. Thank them for their service.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
A short while back I started a thread about the up-coming ballot. It went for 3 pages before folks finally got into fighting and it had to be closed.

During that time-frame I compiled and posted an informal poll. Taken from what posters were saying about how they would vote on each question.

Now I see that from among our group of CD posters, we do not represent a good cross-section of Maine at all.

Out of the 7 questions, our poll matched the ballot results only 3 times.

I understand that there will be some bickering, I thought that maybe from amidst the bickering, if I tallied up everyone's opinions we should nearly duplicate the state's election.

'We' matched in less than half of the issues.

Which I think would mean that by talking to folks here on CD, we clearly do not have our finger on the pulse of Maine at all.

Since our poll results were more often the opposite of the ballot, I would have to say that 'we' are more anti-Maine, or rather out-of-step with Maine thinking.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A short while back I started a thread about the up-coming ballot. It went for 3 pages before folks finally got into fighting and it had to be closed.

During that time-frame I compiled and posted an informal poll. Taken from what posters were saying about how they would vote on each question.

Now I see that from among our group of CD posters, we do not represent a good cross-section of Maine at all.

Out of the 7 questions, our poll matched the ballot results only 3 times.

I understand that there will be some bickering, I thought that maybe from amidst the bickering, if I tallied up everyone's opinions we should nearly duplicate the state's election.

'We' matched in less than half of the issues.

Which I think would mean that by talking to folks here on CD, we clearly do not have our finger on the pulse of Maine at all.

Since our poll results were more often the opposite of the ballot, I would have to say that 'we' are more anti-Maine, or rather out-of-step with Maine thinking.
One very unscientific comparison to an election is hardly reason to comdemn us as being out of touch with Maine! In fact when I voted I had changed my mind from what I had posted in that thread on a number of the questions. My personal tally was five out the of seven went the way I had voted on them. I always vote against bond issues as I feel the money is often squandered and I missed on TABOR. That's not too out of touch in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine