U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,838,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
I'm going to check out a job possibility in Midcoast ME, town of Washington to be precise. I guess what I'm looking for is some opinions or commentary on the "scene" up there.
To put it into perspective, are the back to the landers, treehuggers, and hippies for real? Or, is it a case of " trustafarian" ( trust fund ) college kids playing hippie , like in Boulder CO., for example?
Is there a predominant redneck element?
How do the locals feel about transplants?
I found in Bellingham WA., they were more yuppies wearing Patagonia and buying Organic, more for the image than anything else.
Is Maine for real?
Ok, it is posts like this that get the rest of us city folk in trouble. Why would you even ask if Maine is "for real"? Of course it is. Although I am from the city, I did live in Aroostook county for 12 years and it is VERY REAL. Most of the locals where I lived did live there their entire life and were far from "trustafarians"..they come from good strong heritages and know how to live off the land without hurting it, how to be good neighbors and how to prioritize what is important in their lives. Rednecks? Well, hell there are rednecks EVERYWHERE not just in Maine...that is a total misconception. The locals don't trust transplants at first but once they get to know you, you have friends for life...I still do have friends from Maine and I haven't seen some of them for 30 years now. Why wouldnt' they NOT trust transplants when some think that they hug trees and do nothing but drink beer and beat their wives? Geesh.

Again....city folks do get bashed a lot by Mainers and now I see why...please don't refer to Maine as something akin to the movie "Deliverance"...it just isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM

87 posts, read 135,410 times
Well THERE Pam. I guess you said what was on your mind.
People are people, no matter where, like my city kids and my country kids. Great post. I guess we all forget ourselves once in a while. Another quote I like is "he is what he is." when you get acquainted with someone, there he is. If you have a girlfriend who is full of bad streaks that don't match your habits, you might keep her and just sigh and say "she is what she is."
I just gave you a good post rating, Pam.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM

20 posts, read 29,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I know it's a freak show isn't it? We have people come from miles around to see the lawn and take pictures of the paint.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM

134 posts, read 397,954 times
Pam- I'm not sure exactly what it is that you seem so agitated about (?)
Based on the Anger I perceived in your comments, I don't think you really understand my questions. Truthfully, I don't feel the need to explain it all in great detail, as plenty of others have responded quite reasonably to these inquiries without anyone really taking offense. Sorry if the topic bothers you.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,562,862 times
T-Mobile call center in Oakland, Maine announced today they are looking for 100 new workers. The starting pay is around $11.50 per hour. I'd get my application in quickly!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM

Grub, she just misses Maine. Connecticut is great and gorgeous, but it doesn't give one much of a choice, like Washington, Maine does.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM

By the way, I ran into my Washington, Maine friends today in an Augusta store, Staples. It was so great. I had not seen them for an entire year, so I will go out there this weekend. I bounced up and down: "I conjured you up, I conjured you up." It was great.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,649,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
I'm going to check out a job possibility in Midcoast ME, town of Washington to be precise. I guess what I'm looking for is some opinions or commentary on the "scene" up there.
To put it into perspective, are the back to the landers, treehuggers, and hippies for real? Or, is it a case of " trustafarian" ( trust fund ) college kids playing hippie , like in Boulder CO., for example?
Is there a predominant redneck element?
How do the locals feel about transplants?
I found in Bellingham WA., they were more yuppies wearing Patagonia and buying Organic, more for the image than anything else.
Is Maine for real?
im going to answer the questions in the order they were asked.
1.hows the scene in washington.(its nice with the trees and the fishing the people.)
2.tree huggers and hippie's (yes they are real seen em huggin trees smoken the dope drinkin grass tea.)
3.dont know about the trust fund.
4.is there rednecks.(yup dam straight world couldn't survive with out them.)
5.how do the locals feel about transplants.(we love em they taste like chicken,but every now and then you get one that tastes like s!@#.nothin better than a transplant roast with BBQ sauce on an open fire.)
6.is maine for real.(no maine dont exist your having a dream about a wonderful state but im sorry to tell you we are not really here.)

Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 PM

228 posts, read 275,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
im going to answer the questions in the order they were asked.
1.hows the scene in washington.(its nice with the trees and the fishing the people.)
2.tree huggers and hippie's (yes they are real seen em huggin trees smoken the dope drinkin grass tea.)
3.dont know about the trust fund.
4.is there rednecks.(yup dam straight world couldn't survive with out them.)
5.how do the locals feel about transplants.(we love em they taste like chicken,but every now and then you get one that tastes like s!@#.nothin better than a transplant roast with BBQ sauce on an open fire.)
6.is maine for real.(no maine dont exist your having a dream about a wonderful state but im sorry to tell you we are not really here.)

ahahaha...and this is why I keep popping in and reading posts! I love smarty pants!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 AM

2,059 posts, read 2,649,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post
ahahaha...and this is why I keep popping in and reading posts! I love smarty pants!!!
its not my fault i have a chemical imbalance that makes me blurt out stupid things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine