Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Then you can just carry the dog on your head for visibility.
LOL Have you seen her dog? He is just small enough that MIGHT work. MINE on the other hand.. (mature St. Berhard and 5 mo old Saint pup)... would not work so well as a hat but make a great lap robe in the evening...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
check your comp to see if you have the translation option.if you do write a short letter about hunting and your concerns. then translate it to french then print.
This computer I'm using now was the same one that Columbus used to find his original passage to the New World. It's real old!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
This computer I'm using now was the same one that Columbus used to find his original passage to the New World. It's real old!
i can do it for you and email it to you if you would like

Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i can do it for you and email it to you if you would like
Thanks.....but I don't even have an email account set up on this thing. My laptop blew up and I just haven't bothered to go buy a replacement. This computer was the kids, they used it in high school. One has graduated college and has been working for over a year and the other is a sophomore in college if that will give you any idea how old this thing is!

I'm just going to stop by the neighbors this week with an orange vest on and talk to them. I think they will get the drift. DW says they speak fairly good English.
I know shooting makes them nervous though as everytime I site in a gun over here they take off in their car....At least they haven't called the cops like everyone else who has lived there!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Well Ranger I tried to talk to the neighbors today but I did not get far. The man that lives there (and evidently likes to hunt by the looks of his Mathews bow) had a very hard time understanding English.
I took your advice and wrote up a couple of paragraphs about deer season then cut and pasted into Altavista's babelfish English to French translator. I took the translated verson and printed it through Word and delivered the copy to the neighbor. Suddenly the light went on when he read it and he thanked me very much (In English) for letting him know. It was a great suggestion you made and worked very well.... Thanks!

Last edited by Maineah; 10-26-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well Ranger I tried to talk to the neighbors today but I did not get far. The man that lives there (and evidently likes to hunt by the looks of his Mathews bow) had a very hard time understanding English.
I took your advice and wrote up a couple of paragraphs about deer season then cut and pasted into Altavista's babelfish English to French translator. I took the translated verson and printed it through Word and delivered the copy to the neighbor. Suddenly the light went on when he read it and he thanked me very much (In English) for letting him know. It was a great suggestion you made and worked very well.... Thanks!
cool im glad it worked out for you.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,856 times
Lightbulb nice!

to Ranger & Maineah - that story made my day (what's left of it!)! Thanks!

Last edited by maureenb; 10-26-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: add on text

Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
to Ranger & Maineah - that story made my day (what's left of it!)! Thanks!
are you havin a bad day. i bet i could make ya laugh

Old 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM

227 posts, read 415,226 times
Maineah and Ranger--What a team!! Made my day, too, even though it was a good day anyway. Maineah, it sounds like you went through a lot of work and trial and error with the translation. But it really was a wonderful thing you did! I doubt these neighbors will be calling the cops when you're target practicing.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Maineah and Ranger--What a team!! Made my day, too, even though it was a good day anyway. Maineah, it sounds like you went through a lot of work and trial and error with the translation. But it really was a wonderful thing you did! I doubt these neighbors will be calling the cops when you're target practicing.
Thanks spose and maureenb,
Rangers translation idea was great! I had used babelfish before to buy motorcycle parts from a guy in Germany. It's pretty handy. My wife tells me that the other neighbor, whom I did not meet, is the one who speaks good English and interprets for his wife and the other guy who is living with them whom I attempted to speak with. I'm sure they will heed the warning and put on "les chapeaux oranges flourescents" before venturing out in the woods on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine