Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,303,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Are you serious or kidding?
One of the unfortunate things my wife took a good 10 years to learn about me is that she was never sure when I was telling her a truth and when I was exaggerating. Unfortunately when she did figure out how to tell, I lost a great of fun in my life.

Oh....... the things she took as gospel between 1973 and 1983. I could write a really funny book.

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
One of the unfortunate things my wife took a good 10 years to learn about me is that she was never sure when I was telling her a truth and when I was exaggerating. Unfortunately when she did figure out how to tell, I lost a great of fun in my life.

Oh....... the things she took as gospel between 1973 and 1983. I could write a really funny book.

Z
One of the older guys I worked with back in 1970, had a wife who believed whatever he told her.

He once took her to the New York City waterworks and told her it was Niagara Falls, and she believed him: "Oh--It's bigger in the pictures," is what she said.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 PM

79 posts, read 342,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
It takes a while to get settled in anyplace that is new. Making friends has to be at the top of the list. I have been here for 15 years and I still have more firends outside of Maine then I have here. However I have several good friends here... funny though most are not from Maine either???
While I am not unsociable, I'm not the most social person either. I enjoy being alone and having privacy. Most of what we do is family trips and events.
We read and play board games. We collect all the different versions of monopoly. I do have real friends, and they are few; however, I have more than enough acquaintances.

If I wanted to break into the social scene, I might throw a Halloween party or the like with both kids and parents invited. Most of our socialization revolves around our kids.

I enjoy having my space.

I think people have some impression of California as a very integrated, racially accepting, extremely friendly state. It is far from it. In the metro areas, people are unfriendly at best, and often rude. Have a sense of entitlement to just about everything. And, live beyond their means in order to appear affluent.

Some areas are exceptions, and Berkeley is one.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
Good luck on finding that perfect spot/ piece of heaven in Maine(I'm a little jealous that you're moving up instead of me ). Are you planning another trip out to house hunt? Will you both look for other jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine