Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:08 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times

Advertisements

I had no idea that Maine was considered by some
(like a third world country)
I'll narrow that down to my area in Washington County.

It's been popping up all summer ~ the constant remarks that there's nothing here, and that :
We must eat alot of Wildlife to surive.
(that was a remark made yesterday)

Well hook up the horse and buggy ma.

I asked someone yesterday, "
If you were traveling, anywheres North America or beyond, would you comment a negitive response about an area to the locals? Put them down, their way of life?

Some area's might do a "linch'in".

Everywhere we go... things are done differently.

That's why we travel for new experiences.. not to go ...

"Nah Nah boo boo..
I've got a "4 story Malls" and you don't." Loser

Then fire back, yeah ..
"Well I don't have to pay taxes on your malls.. you do" How do you like that smarty pants..`huh

I just find it strange that people will be like that.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post

It's been popping up all summer ~ the constant remarks that there's nothing here, and that :
We must eat alot of Wildlife to surive
Well duh! We tried rude people but they're tough, have no taste and give us heart burn . There are so many of us fighting over road kill you really have to be there to find it first. I'm rather partial to Cup O'Sparrow soup and a small serving of wild, free range Minke (they're in season right now!) sauteed in wild mushrooms.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Nuthin beats four-day-old high-summer raccoon right off'n th' rud. Man, you fry that up crisp in some possum grease, aint nuthin bettah.

Quote:
We must eat alot of Wildlife to survive.
Someone actually said that to you? Good gravy (made with muskrat drippins, o'course).

I'll admit to having some fun with the turristers on occasion -- someone once asked me if we have paved roads north of Portland -- but wow, just wow.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
i am parshall to skunk stew.i like rude people,its fun to mess with their minds.
id rather spend an hour driving to the mall looking at nature. than spend an hour in traffic looking at angry bitter people.third world country ?? dam straight and we gona keep it that way.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post

We must eat alot of Wildlife to surive.
(that was a remark made yesterday)

Well hook up the horse and buggy ma.

I asked someone yesterday, "
If you were traveling, anywheres North America or beyond, would you comment a negitive response about an area to the locals? Put them down, their way of life?

Some area's might do a "linch'in".

Everywhere we go... things are done differently.

That's why we travel for new experiences.. not to go ...

"Nah Nah boo boo..
I've got a "4 story Malls" and you don't." Loser

Then fire back, yeah ..
"Well I don't have to pay taxes on your malls.. you do" How do you like that smarty pants..`huh

I just find it strange that people will be like that.
THis is great. Don't you just love it when people visit or move to a state and b***h that it's not like where they left? Some people are so brainwashed they think visiting a place like Maine is stepping back 100 years when in fact this country has become a homogenous nation with few cultural differences the last twenty years or so.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 AM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i like rude people,its fun to mess with their minds.
All our friends and family know we own a house in Maine and are on our way up for good from NJ right now.... People's reactions/questions are amazing... Me and my husband are sooo sick of explaining things that we joke that from now on, we are going to leave the people with them being more ignorant then they started by giving ridicules answers to their ridicules questions.

Can't tell you how many people have asked...

.... Oh my gosh, but isn't it always so cold up there?
.... Oh wow, doesn't it snow most the year up there?
etc....

Now... I could understand these questions SLIGHTLY more if we were coming from the deep south were they never see snow/seasons etc... BUT we are in NJ! Maine is not THAT far from us LOL! NJ also has 4 seasons...Yet they are so ignorant to Maine that they act like it's the north pole or something!

So we joke that from now on we'll answer something like...

Ohhhh yes, its very cold but we have heat in our igloo etc...

Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
All our friends and family know we own a house in Maine and are on our way up for good from NJ right now.... People's reactions/questions are amazing... Me and my husband are sooo sick of explaining things that we joke that from now on, we are going to leave the people with them being more ignorant then they started by giving ridicules answers to their ridicules questions.

etc....

Now... I could understand these questions SLIGHTLY more if we were coming from the deep south were they never see snow/seasons etc... BUT we are in NJ! Maine is not THAT far from us LOL! NJ also has 4 seasons...Yet they are so ignorant to Maine that they act like it's the north pole or something!

it just go's to show you how sheltered their world really is.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:04 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post

etc....

Got and get a lot of that from the folks here in Texas.

BTW ... we have seasons here ... right now were in the middle of Hurricane season!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:17 AM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Got and get a lot of that from the folks here in Texas.

BTW ... we have seasons here ... right now were in the middle of Hurricane season!

LOL!!! True!! My kids spend a week in south MS every winter and a few weeks every summer visiting my EX, and even in winter I only pack a light jacket for them. When they got home after this summer my kids said to me "MOM, its WAY to hot to play outside there!" LOL.... I have true northern kids... they hate the heat but love winters and snow.

We are having beautiful fall days now here in NJ and my kids have said, finally it's cool enough to stay outside all day. Now on weekends, I don't see them half the day... but in summer (even here in NJ) you'd think I was killing them telling them to go outside a bit when I'd hear after 30 min (if that!), its sooo hot, can we come in now? (unless they were in water). My kids get sooo excited once winter hits because all they can do is talk about skiing again.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
LMAO!!! Sure people here walk the highwy with two bags, ... one for the cans they pick up, the other for roadkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine