Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:49 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
i went to dysart's restaurant.
being just me it was easier then cooking.
i love chili.as long as it isn't to hot i like to enjoy the flavor and i cant if its so hot it melts my tongue.
I use a little fresh jalapeno diced into the chili as it's cooking. Can't say I want it so hot my tongue melts off either. lol A little heat is good.

I save the wicked hot for when I saute jalapeno's in olive oil, seeds and all just til tender, then pour into a chafing dish, toss in some pepperoni slices and top with provolone. I slop it up (oil and all) with crusy italian bread. OMG that is SO hot, but SO good!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,257 times
A Maine baked bean supper was a hit tonight. A delicious recipe by Martha Greenlaw is a keeper. Also made a corn pudding and for variation added 1/4 cup chopped green pepper and 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese...yummy, served with coleslaw and hot dogs.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Friday night we made a Goodbye Summer dinner at my local Amvets hall. We cooked 200 lobsters two bushels or steamers and 150 ears of corn. There are some summer foods I will miss for a while!!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks Ode!!!! Sounds hearty and filling!!! Yum!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Try a cottage pie, which is the English version and made with beef. It can be pretty good for those who don't like lamb, though I can never understand not loving lamb in all of its savory delishishness! Thank goodness all my kids loved lamb, shepherd's pie was a winter staple in our home and still is now that the kids are all grown and gone.

Other cool weather comfort foods here include colcannon, which is really easy to make. Recipe below for those who haven't tried it before, it is another Irish dish. We also love garlic cheese grits, and baked butternut squash with the hollows filled with thinly sliced leeks or caramelized onions mixed with chopped browned country style bacon (cook the leeks or onion in the bacon for extra yummyness!). Of course, nothing is complete without hot bread at the table, either biscuits or a homemade loaf, with butter.

Colcannon

Steam 5 pounds of small yukon gold or redskin potatoes in their skins, then peel a bit off the potatoes when done, leaving as much skin as you like in mashed potatoes. Mash them with butter, salt, cream, and black pepper. Set aside to keep warm. I use a hand masher, so the potatoes have texture, it is better for this dish than smooth whipped potaotes.

While potatoes steam, prepare the bacon and cabbage. Dice a pound of good country style bacon, the thick and drier type. Saute until crisp but not too brown. Pour off most of the bacon fat, leave about 1 TBSP with the bacon to cook the leeks. Thinly slice 3 leeks (Use about the bottom third, cut off most of the green tops and save them for making a stock later) and gently cook them with the bacon until very soft, but not browned. Stir intto the potatoes after mashing them.

Meanwhile, have a large pot of salted water boiling. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the pot. Then add a cored and quartered cabbage to the pot, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is still very green but tender. Pour out into a strainer, then chop the cabbage. Add cabbage to the potato mixture, and combine well. Serve this in a bowl with a dollop of butter, it is actually better with cultred butter rather than the sweet cream style. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

This is a traditional dish in Ireland, and can also be made with boiled bacon or ham if you prefer.It is rather heavy on the fat due to the butter, cream, and bacon, but oh boy it sure does taste good.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:29 PM

164 posts, read 240,614 times
What a fun thread!

Went to the Orono Farmer's Market yesterday and bought pink-gold potatoes and leeks.
Just made (and ate!) the yummiest potato leek soup! My goodness, there is nothing like "farm fresh".
Also bought a couple "Long Pie" pumpkins. We're waiting for them to turn orange to make pie and pumpkin bread.
Hooray for fall's bounty!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 PM

We're having lasagna tonight. Nothing too fallish or particulalry "Maine" about it but I sure do like it!!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:10 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Pizza tonight!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM

Put a bottle of Shipyard Pumpkin Ale in my chili last night and let that simmer in for about 5 hours. OMG.... the meat is so tender and there is a wonderfully subtle hint of pumpkin in the chili! Puts this rainy weather in perspective, that's for sure!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Put a bottle of Shipyard Pumpkin Ale in my chili last night and let that simmer in for about 5 hours. OMG.... the meat is so tender and there is a wonderfully subtle hint of pumpkin in the chili! Puts this rainy weather in perspective, that's for sure!!!
That's a good idea! I'll try it in a pot roast sometime. I always put a bottle of Geary's in my pot roast, pumpkin ale might be just right for fall!! Five in the cook and one in the pot...that sounds about right!!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Pizza tonight!
I used to make pizza from scratch every Friday night when the kids lived at home. It was a ritual and they brought a pile of their friends over here for pizza night. They LOVED my home made dough pizza. I don't make it much now but when they're home I always have to revive pizza night one more time.
Personally I like to let the dough age a day or two in the fridge as it gets a sour dough flavor I love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine