Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 AM

10 posts, read 14,049 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Holden, Hampden, and Orrington? These are towns we are looking at propery in. We love the country.
Thanks in advance. Frognose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 AM

164 posts, read 353,510 times
we are getting out of Florida too and can't wait. Good luck on your move to Maine. Lots of great info. and folks here...enjoy the adventure...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Hampden is the most built-up of the three, and that's not really saying much. It's just south of Bangor, so there's ready access to that city's shopping and other amenities. It has excellent schools, if that's an issue. Orrington is completely rural, not sure there's even a village area. Holden I'm not familiar with.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 14,049 times
Hi,
Where in Fl. are you from ? We live in Lakeland and I was raised here. However, I've lived in In., Buffalo NY, and Mn. Totally sick of Fl. and all of the drama and crime. Not to mention the hot weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognose View Post
Hi,
Where in Fl. are you from ? We live in Lakeland and I was raised here. However, I've lived in In., Buffalo NY, and Mn. Totally sick of Fl. and all of the drama and crime. Not to mention the hot weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crime...did you say Crime...it is so bad and when we mention it to people down here they look at us saying "oh its not that bad"...are they nuts...Agree with the hot weather too...I had skin cancer so bad, just a little spot on my face turned into losing half my face and getting plastic surgery...it was all underneath...and I never went out without lotion on.

We have only lived here 8 years from Seattle, but originally from NY. We live on our sailboat (sold house a year ago) in Miami (Coconut Grove). We are hoping to move by April. It's 90 degrees out today.

we are looking in the Camden, Rockport, Rockland area...

Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesjs View Post
Crime...did you say Crime...it is so bad and when we mention it to people down here they look at us saying "oh its not that bad"...are they nuts...Agree with the hot weather too...I had skin cancer so bad, just a little spot on my face turned into losing half my face and getting plastic surgery...it was all underneath...and I never went out without lotion on.

We have only lived here 8 years from Seattle, but originally from NY. We live on our sailboat (sold house a year ago) in Miami (Coconut Grove). We are hoping to move by April. It's 90 degrees out today.

we are looking in the Camden, Rockport, Rockland area...
It's 80 in Maine today in some places away from the coast. I have had skin cancer removed twice from my back so skin cancer can happen in Maine too....just saying.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I've also had some skin cancer, it runs in my family. Redheads ya know. When we were kids there was no such thing as sunscreen. You just slapped some noxzema on the sunburn, waited for the blisters to heal and the peeling to start.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It's 80 in Maine today in some places away from the coast. I have had skin cancer removed twice from my back so skin cancer can happen in Maine too....just saying.
sorry to hear about your cancer...oh I know it can happen anywhere, and I will be careful in Maine too...

Old 09-23-2009, 03:11 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I've also had some skin cancer, it runs in my family. Redheads ya know. When we were kids there was no such thing as sunscreen. You just slapped some noxzema on the sunburn, waited for the blisters to heal and the peeling to start.
I remember those days, and wearing a shirt at the beach, just trying to keep the blisters down. Geez, hadn't thought about that in years

Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Hampden is the most built-up of the three, and that's not really saying much. It's just south of Bangor, so there's ready access to that city's shopping and other amenities. It has excellent schools, if that's an issue. Orrington is completely rural, not sure there's even a village area. Holden I'm not familiar with.
Hampden does have a shopping district (drug stores, grocery stores etc) which I don't believe Orrington has. I believe Orrington uses the Brewer school system, and can't place any shopping there, they do have a gas station Orrington boarders Brewer, and there is a lot of shopping there, and then cross the river to Bangor, both easy access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine