Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 05:02 PM

20 posts, read 43,589 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where to purchase bulk soybeans (edamime), rice and beef in the state of Maine. I'm ordering them from Nebraska now but its seems we should have a place here. Maine doesn't have Kobe but we must have some beef wholesalers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights2 View Post
Does anyone know where to purchase bulk soybeans (edamime), rice and beef in the state of Maine. I'm ordering them from Nebraska now but its seems we should have a place here. Maine doesn't have Kobe but we must have some beef wholesalers.

what part of maine are you in??

you can wholesale beef, on the hoof, or you can buy the specials, whole primals, cut them yourself, or most stores will cut them for you,,thats how i buy.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,597 times
Contact your nearest natural foods store. Most welcome special orders for bulk items and cases of product. From my experience discounts are often applied to these large purchases. Here's a list of some of the retail locations throughout the state that should offer this service.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birksrw View Post
Contact your nearest natural foods store. Most welcome special orders for bulk items and cases of product. From my experience discounts are often applied to these large purchases. Here's a list of some of the retail locations throughout the state that should offer this service.

you can contact most any independent grocery store and get a reduced case cost
call around-compare prices!

thanx for the list, i didnt know some of these existed

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 PM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights2
Soybeans can be bought at Aroostook Mills for cheap.

Beef is nearly everywhere. We do not eat much beef, but every Farmer's Market has ranchers selling their own beef. You can buy it straight from the rancher, no middle men.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Soybeans can be bought at Aroostook Mills for cheap.

Beef is nearly everywhere. We do not eat much beef, but every Farmer's Market has ranchers selling their own beef. You can buy it straight from the rancher, no middle men.
while this is true- i'll just throw out a red flag, if anyone decides to buy beef from a farm- today i was at herring brothers in guilford, they are one of the largest native/ maine cattle processors (butchers in the state) they had many sides of beef hanging-many types of breeds, and many levels/grades

one of the owners stated maine native beef often gets a bad rap because of two reasons- the first being you can buy a cow cheaply at many farms, but that doesnt mean good eating, there are beef for eating (better eating breeds, GRAIN fed/finished, not old bulls/milking cows
the second, is price- many co-ops and natural food places put such a high margin on beef,,,it looks very pricey.

im sure there are many farms that have good quality beef to buy from,,,just ask a few questions
how old is/was the critter (18-24 months is fine)
and was is grain fed?
and what breed?

id also recommend talking to the experts, to the folks that process different breeds, call herring bros, in guilford, ask questions (on breeds, or price, etc)
bisson's in topsham is another excellent processor, as in fulton curtis in warren, and west gardiner beef( there are many others)

Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,550,074 times
Oriental restaurants buy some products in bulk. Check with them or the Chinese market in Bangor for many kinds of rice and spices.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:13 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,623,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
while this is true- i'll just throw out a red flag, if anyone decides to buy beef from a farm- today i was at herring brothers in guilford, they are one of the largest native/ maine cattle processors (butchers in the state) they had many sides of beef hanging-many types of breeds, and many levels/grades

one of the owners stated maine native beef often gets a bad rap because of two reasons- the first being you can buy a cow cheaply at many farms, but that doesnt mean good eating, there are beef for eating (better eating breeds, GRAIN fed/finished, not old bulls/milking cows
the second, is price- many co-ops and natural food places put such a high margin on beef,,,it looks very pricey.

im sure there are many farms that have good quality beef to buy from,,,just ask a few questions
how old is/was the critter (18-24 months is fine)
and was is grain fed?
and what breed?

id also recommend talking to the experts, to the folks that process different breeds, call herring bros, in guilford, ask questions (on breeds, or price, etc)
bisson's in topsham is another excellent processor, as in fulton curtis in warren, and west gardiner beef( there are many others)
I beg to differ with you. One of the best beef meals I ever ate was at the home of a friend, a milker at a small dairy. One of their "perks" was a cull milker in the freezer each year. Her roast, with carrots and onions and potatoes, was wonderful! I don't have room in my freezer now, or I would buy a cull off any of the farmers I know in a heartbeat.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,550,074 times
Many farmers raise a "beef critter" each year. Their dairy cows are bred with an Angus or other beef cow. The calf is half Holstein and half Angus. Most of these are sold as veal, but my neighbor buys them and raises about 20 a year. They are great beef animals, lower fat than an Angus and just as tasty.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,623,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Many farmers raise a "beef critter" each year. Their dairy cows are bred with an Angus or other beef cow. The calf is half Holstein and half Angus. Most of these are sold as veal, but my neighbor buys them and raises about 20 a year. They are great beef animals, lower fat than an Angus and just as tasty.
That is what we raised the year we did a beef critter, a coop deal with my folks. Dad kept expecting in to fill out, like an Angus, but it never did. One day "Sir Loin" was out of his pasture when Mom and I came back from town. She was holding my baby while I went to put him back in, leading him with a can of grain. Just as we were about in the gate, he saw Mom and charged her. She ducked behind a railroad tie embedded in the ground as a gate stopper and I was able to get him down the hill past the gate, which Mom quickly closed. He realized he was had, and charged me. Never knew I could vault a 6' fence (being all of 5' tall and not athletic at all) but I cleared it with no trouble.

Mom went home and the next day Dad called to say the butcher guy would be there that day... Sir Loin was suddenly "big enough!" LOL He tasted great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine