U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,015,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have asked this before but got no answer. What is a chigger?
90% of the bugs are dead around here now. Having breakfast on the patio I did have a yellow jacket land on my unfinished scrambled eggs a week or so ago,snip off a piece with his mandibles and fly off with it. It was weird seeing a bee flying around with a piece of scrambled egg in his mouth. He did it several times.
Chiggers are like mites...

Mercy Hospital Portland Maine - Fleas, Mites, and Chiggers - Website (http://www.mercyhospital.com/content/greystone_3646.htm - broken link)

Give Chiggers the Brush
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,062 times
Default Bugs in maine

I am looking into moving to maine and i was wondering just how bad are the bugs in maine?i know there are flee's and chiggers but are they really that bad? I have three children and was just wondering. I have read all the threads on this site and i am wondering if it is worth moving from the non buggy area to a buggy area. Here in Arizona the most we have are flys and they don't bite. iI have lived in Colorado and the mosqitos there could fly away with you. But over all they wern"t that bad. Atip I got from a co worker told me to buy vanilla extract the mosqitos hate it. Please give me some feed back i would really like it. thank you very much.

Last edited by dolpfin10462; 11-24-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Unread 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM

5,592 posts, read 6,934,648 times
The answer to the question starts on page one.

Unread 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,430,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The answer to the question starts on page one.
hehe!

Unread 11-24-2009, 03:40 PM

21,276 posts, read 4,669,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolpfin10462 View Post
I am looking into moving to maine and i was wondering just how bad are the bugs in maine?i know there are flee's and chiggers but are they really that bad? I have three children and was just wondering. I have read all the threads on this site and i am wondering if it is worth moving from the non buggy area to a buggy area. Here in Arizona the most we have are flys and they don't bite. iI have lived in Colorado and the mosqitos there could fly away with you. But over all they wern"t that bad. Atip I got from a co worker told me to buy vanilla extract the mosqitos hate it. Please give me some feed back i would really like it. thank you very much.
Not remotely possible to accomplish in one day, even if you're a speed reader.

Unread 11-24-2009, 06:03 PM

1,061 posts, read 968,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0671 View Post
Ticks? Mosquitos? biting flys? I know every state has em but what are they like up there? Are any of them worse then others or only certain times of year. Im thinking of buying a cabin somewhat deep in the woods for hunting/fishing just wanted some feedback on how bad the little critters are. Any input apreciated.
I am not from Maine, but I have been researching as much as I can about the state because I am planning to move there.

I have read that in addition to biting flies and mosquitos, I recently learned there are fire ants in Maine--at least one person on this board said that the fire ants around her home were so numerous, she had to give up gardening.

The incidence of tick-borne Lyme disease in Maine is also growing rapidly over the past ten-years.

I also have read that the skin of some people are very allergic to the shed scales from a species of moth that inhabits the midcoast area of Maine.

If I remember correctly, the moths in some years are very numerous, and their scales fly off in the breeze like pollen, to torment those who are allergic.

I try to be philisophic about all this, because if it weren't for the bugs, taxes, lack of jobs, cold and snow, mud season, flooding, lack of sunshine, everybody in the country would move to Maine, and it wouldn't be Maine anymore.

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,062 times
i was refering to page one and most of the stuff i read was from september. just wondering if anything has changed. and someone told me to stay in az that it is hard to get a job there in main is that true?

Unread 11-24-2009, 09:33 PM

1,061 posts, read 968,145 times
Quote:
it is hard to get a job there in main is that true?
Again, I'm not from Maine, but from what I've heard during my research of the state over the past few years, it is hard to find a job in Maine, and that most jobs are low paying service type jobs.

Unread 11-25-2009, 05:00 AM

5,712 posts, read 6,926,973 times
If you have a transferrable skill you will do well. There is a big demand for teachers and nurses. The reason you see ads for "low paying service type jobs" is that people with the potential to improve themselves quickly do just that, creating a vacancy in the low paying service type jobs. Isn't it that way everywhere?

Unread 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM

7,378 posts, read 7,782,405 times
Quote:
i was refering to page one and most of the stuff i read was from september. just wondering if anything has changed. and someone told me to stay in az that it is hard to get a job there in main is that true?
ummmm..... hmm. Well, maybe some more research is necessary for you and some of the others. I don't know that anyone has any bug issues here right now. I'm surprised this thread popped up with new questions when they were nicely answered, IMO, in the first few pages of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine