Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 25,034 times

Advertisements

Ticks? Mosquitos? biting flys? I know every state has em but what are they like up there? Are any of them worse then others or only certain times of year. Im thinking of buying a cabin somewhat deep in the woods for hunting/fishing just wanted some feedback on how bad the little critters are. Any input apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0671 View Post
Ticks? Mosquitos? biting flys? I know every state has em but what are they like up there? Are any of them worse then others or only certain times of year. Im thinking of buying a cabin somewhat deep in the woods for hunting/fishing just wanted some feedback on how bad the little critters are. Any input apreciated.
the other day.
i see a 3 1/2 lb skeeter being chased by a tick that had two black flies as wing men.
the skeeters and biting flies can be bad if its a wet year.
not so bad in a dry year.
the ticks are just the opposite they need hot weather.
so it all depends on the weather.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
They're worse than usual this year because of the rain. Maine Nature News runs a black fly report from some time in May until usually July. When it's updated this week it will have a report for September.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Quote:
Back during the cold war, the Air Force moved a fighter/interceptor squadron out of Maine because their squadron of Interceptor Black Flies were so powerful that no Russian bomber could have penetrated US air space from Canada.

There are few things more frightening than the sound of a Maine Black Fly going supersonic.

As proof I cite that we never had a Russian bomber fly into the US over Maine territory during the cold war.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:55 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,814 times
Quote:

Haven't lived in Maine for awhile but I am here to tell you the bugs up there are VICIOUS. I use to have an allergic reaction to the blackflies and had to wear so much "fly dope", "fly spray"....that I walked around shining like a beacon from the layer of chemicals it took to keep them off of me..either that or head to Houlton for a shot of adrenaline to bring the swelling down. I don't know how the local folks live with them but they do. They have all sorts of remedies to keep them away that seem to work. Another bug they have up there is called a "No-See-EM"...meaning they are so tiny that the darn things squeeze through screens on windows. When I was living up there, some of the old timers use to put cheese cloth over their screens to keep these "No-See-Ems" out of the house.

Times have changed, methods of keeping bugs away have changed but keep in mind, you are talking about moving way back into the woods and I don't care what state you live in if you are in the woods deep enough the bugs are going to "carry you away"...be prepared.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Mosquitos just drill for blood. Black flies rip out chunks of flesh and go away with them. My boys used to say. "I see a no seeum; See um?"

Seriously though, black flies appear around the middle of May up here. Like the foliage it varies by area. When they start feeding they will be very active for about a month. Then they are pretty much gone. Mosquitos follow the black flies in June and July. Then in August we have deer flies.

There are days when we see no insects. When the humidity is low they simply can't fly. They need dampness to keep their wings lubricated. Hey, I'm not making this up. That's why mosquitos come out in the evening. As the temperature drops the humidity rises and they come out to feed.

Where else can you learn stuff like this?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,321 times
How much of a difference is there with these insects in the towns right on the coast versus the inland areas?

Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
How much of a difference is there with these insects in the towns right on the coast versus the inland areas?
Quite often it's worse on the coast than inland. While inland areas will get more blackflies than the coast there tends to be more mosquitoes and midges(no see ums) on the coast especially around dawn and dusk. There are also green headed horse flies on the coast that can really drive you nuts if there happens to be alot of them in an area.
A big problem facing Maine this year has been Eastern Equine Encepholitis. A mosquito spread disease which can kill the horse, bird or human infected by it. So far in the State 14 horses and 125 pheasants have died from EEE this summer.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 AM

124 posts, read 256,147 times
Quote:
I know every state has em but what are they like up there?
Wrong i have lived in Oklahoma my whole life and i have never heard of Blackflies i never knew flies could bite!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 AM

124 posts, read 256,147 times
Besides horseflies can bite sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine